• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My Kenjas are Injured :(

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shop owner has a theory as to what happened. I want to cry. He thinks epoxy and a base grind will fix them. I'm not so confident. A poster on Pugski says the rippling on the base is the metal inside the edge buckling beneath. Debating if I should try to file a warranty claim since this is not a rock hit or something negligent on my part. Anybody have any experience with this, particularly with Volkl?

I'm grateful ski season is over next week, and I have the Santa Anas and Kastles to carry me through (and a storm next week, perfect for the Santa Anas!) but I'm dreading if they can't be fixed and I'm out a new pair of skis that are my most favorite skis EVER.

:cry::cry::cry:

Sidewall, located just below the binding heel piece. The top is the top sheet, if that's not easy to see. The chunk is about the size of a pencil eraser, so not as big as this pic makes it look. And yes, that's a gap/tiny hole and the sidewall is separating from the base along that section about 2" or so either direction.
12923193_10209503035039102_8508799693672392275_n.jpg

This is the base, directly below the divot on the sidewall. Notice the ripples? I noticed it while waxing yesterday. Heat from the iron might have caused it, but the fact that the edge has "lifted" there is what REALLY caused it. The rest of the base is fine.
12963437_10209503031079003_7458210997292920525_n.jpg

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If nothing else, you should make Volkl aware of this now. Wait until next season and/or get a few more days on them and have something else go wrong, you have less of a case. Inform them now in a documented way and something else goes wrong, it looks more like a defective product.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If nothing else, you should make Volkl aware of this now. Wait until next season and/or get a few more days on them and have something else go wrong, you have less of a case. Inform them now in a documented way and something else goes wrong, it looks more like a defective product.
Agreed! I did send an email, complete with pics, this morning. I'll talk to the shop owner tomorrow, too.

Jilly

Staff member
Yup. That's the edge. Kinda of neat isn't it, but not in your case...You're on the right track.

Poor babies. Epoxy and a base grind can do wonders though. I am glad you emailed volkl and sent pics. Unless you came down super hard on a rock or something this seems like a manufacturer defect. Maybe you'll get a new pair of skis out of the deal. Keep us posted. Hope they respond soon.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh! I'm so sorry this happened to your faves! :hurt:

Definitely manufacturing defect. Warrantee does seem like the right angle. I doubt that it's a wax-iron thing. There was probably a water leak, and the water or rust or rot is expanding from inside; I bet rust, judging by the regularity of the ripples, echoing the fins on the steel edge.

If not warrantee, then a competent repair person can replace, reseal, and tidy it out, just like with rock repair. The sidewall is trickier, because it's a different material, but it can be done. Polyester, ABS, epoxy, etc., are popular materials partly because they are so repairable. Even the steel edge can be replaced.

https://www.dietfig.org/corerepair.html

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh! I'm so sorry this happened to your faves! :hurt:

Definitely manufacturing defect. Warrantee does seem like the right angle. I doubt that it's a wax-iron thing. There was probably a water leak, and the water or rust or rot is expanding from inside; I bet rust, judging by the regularity of the ripples, echoing the fins on the steel edge.

If not warrantee, then a competent repair person can replace, reseal, and tidy it out, just like with rock repair. The sidewall is trickier, because it's a different material, but it can be done. Polyester, ABS, epoxy, etc., are popular materials partly because they are so repairable. Even the steel edge can be replaced.

https://www.dietfig.org/corerepair.html

So, the shop owner I feel is a more than competent repair person and he feels he can absolutely fix them, no problem. I did email Volkl this morning. Maybe I'll have the shop owner call them as well, and send them the pics to see what THEY would do. I'd hate for this to become an issue NEXT season without at least some documentation of what happened THIS season.

My shop repaired my Kenjas last season and you'd never know they had any base damage at all. Good luck!!!!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
oh no! so sorry to see thing :( Definitely looks like a manufacturing defect though. It'll be interesting to see what Volkl says....

They're being sent in to see what Volkl says! I'll keep you posted. I want to take care of this before next season, because if I end up needing to replace them, I'd like to have all summer to hunt for a cheaper pair.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they just send you a new pair :smile:

Yes, although I think that's doubtful, unless they have a ton of leftover inventory?? Not sure how their distribution system works, if the manufacturers sit on a lot of inventory or not. I'd take some 90Eights as a replacement, too :becky:

Yeah those 90Eights :smile: I just went to Volkl's website and you can still order the Kenja in a 163 directly from their site so fingers crossed for you.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah those 90Eights :smile: I just went to Volkl's website and you can still order the Kenja in a 163 directly from their site so fingers crossed for you.
Well that's probably not a bad thing, if they still have inventory. Hmmm...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're being sent in to see what Volkl says! I'll keep you posted. I want to take care of this before next season, because if I end up needing to replace them, I'd like to have all summer to hunt for a cheaper pair.
The whole ski? the one or the pair, not just photos? Wow. Fascinating, to quote Mr. Spock.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The whole ski? the one or the pair, not just photos? Wow. Fascinating, to quote Mr. Spock.
Both skis. They'll need to inspect the one that's damaged on-site to determine what they are going to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna