• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stupidest thing you've done on skis.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any idea where I can get some lessons? :D

I think you can find the info in the yellow pages under "off piste instruction." Yellow pages can be quite helpful, you know! :laughter: It also helps the "situation" if there's a white-out or if it's foggy, but bad visibility is by no means necessary!

Not another word on this topic from me! Just leave me content with my memories! :becky:

Kiwi Ski Girl

Certified Ski Diva
hhmm, well many things, but this one comes to mind... Probably one of the top five was the time I went to a field I hadn't been to before and convinced my husband it would be a great idea to go straight up to the top on the brand new high speed six seater lift. We got to the lift queue and noticed signs saying something along the lines of "Warning - black diamond and double black diamond terrain. Riders of advanced and expert ability only". Well at this point my husband asks if we should go up, knowing that while he is an expert level skier, I am only intermediate leve. I convinced him I'd be fine (I might add on my old skool 1.93cm Rossis (shame!) and then proceeded to fall over about 15 times on the run down.:faint: To top it off, the last time I wiped out I threw one of my poles a la John McEnroe and said some words I can't repeat here!:booboo:

Kriss240

Certified Ski Diva
My stupidest moment, hands down, was when I was 8 years old skiing at Killington with my parents, younger sister, and cousin. We were all intermediate/advanced begginer skiers just cruising around on greens when I decided my mom was going too slow for me. I took the lead and when we came to a trail merge, i made a left down what I thought was the green trail. However, it was a double black chock full of moguls. I mean big bumps, edge to edge of the trail. my sister, a beginner, was making looonng wide, slow turns across the entire trail. my mom, out of fear that she was just going to go clear off the side of the trail, made her and my cousin take off their skis and slide down on their butts. people on the lift above were yelling down to see if we needed help from ski patrol. needless to say she was mad at me - one memorable quote- "if i catch up to you, you're going to be one sorry little girl!" i got down to the bottom so fast.

ski-luvr

Certified Ski Diva
Sleeping on the job

Ok-so this didn't happen to me, but I will share anyways...I went up skiing with my high school rally team and one of the girls kind of fell asleep or just wasn't paying any attention to the fact that it was time to get off of the lift. We just watched her as she just rolled past us still sitting in the chair. It's good that they practice chair evac. in training, there was quite a drop off on the other side of the lift going back down the hill.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump: Wow, an old thread, but I bet some of us have some new stories to add. Anyone?

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm... Looks like everyone has learned from their past mistakes? :wink:

I've done a lot of dumb things on skis... just that nothing that makes a good story without being embellished a little...

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When we were kids in the late '70s, my siblings and cousins and I used to play "follow the leader" at Gunstock in NH. The leader was usually one of two older cousins who were really good skiers; the rest of us were little kids with moderate wedge skills at best. The game always seemed to involve ignoring "closed" signs and ducking under rope, as well as "skiing" down sheets of ice or bare ground. Of course this was pre-Gore Tex and we were wearing jeans over cotton base layers. Eventually your jeans would freeze stiff and actually block the wind a bit. It was also pre binding brakes, so when you fell you never had to worry about finding your skis: they were always right there, smashing you about the face and head. I don't recall anyone every getting really hurt or hypothermic, which is good because if anyone had, no adult in the entire wide world of sports would have known where to look for us.

Of the mob of us, every single one is still living. Some of us have even found our way back to skiing. (Now that I think of it, one of the "leader" cousins worked for many years in the ski shop at Killington until just recently, and is still a very avid skier).

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was also pre binding brakes, so when you fell you never had to worry about finding your skis: they were always right there, smashing you about the face and head.
That reminds me of a fond memory from childhood; not a dumb thing, per se. On one of my many falls, one of the skis came off, and started gliding down the hill, leaving me wondering how I was going to catch up to it. Just then--they always played music on that beginner trail--the Entrance of the Gladiators, a.k.a. the circus music, started playing on the speakers, seemingly to make fun of me. I was sure the ski was taunting me, too.

I did manage to hobble down to the ski.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thinking I was ready for Utah off piste single blacks because I'd skied (actually, barely made it down) one or two double blacks on mid-Atlantic hills.

But of course the dumbest thing by far was hauling @** down a trail in spring conditions and not slowing down when the terrain abruptly changed. Kids, don't ski at your max in spring conditions!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Um . . . As witnessed by a number of Divas - insisting on boarding the Challenger chairlift and riding it to the top of Challenger Peak at Big Sky (off piste black and double black terrain only) with an as yet undiagnosed broken ankle . . .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga