• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stupidest thing you've done on skis.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This thread has been going on over at Epic, and some of the stories are amazing.

So I thought I'd start one over here. 'Fess up, ladies. What's the stupidest thing you've done on skis???

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Probably tree skiing by myself on a weekday when the whole resort was empty. I never saw another person come through there the whole time I was in there. And it was a long run which I take forever to get through. This was before I started carrying a whistle while skiing as well.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Took the lift back up after getting a mild concussion. My reasoning was that we were at a mid-station lift, and all of my friends had already headed up the mountain for another run. I thought that it would be safer to ski down with people, rather than alone.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lol. I like these stories. I've had several DUMB moments. :faint:

1- Deepest pow day I've ever seen, was skiing with two guys at Mt. Hood Meadows. It was boot/knee deep on the groomers and knee deep+ off piste. I was skiing on my tiny 150cm Salomon Verse (70something waist anyone?) and I'd never skiied anything that deep before, on those skis, dumb idea, yes.

My wonderful friends, 19 year old Alaskan boys :drool: decided, at 4pm, when the lifts were closing, that we were going to take a different route to the car. Through the bottom of "Heather Canyon" (for those of you who haven't skiied there, experts only, gates that say you're required to have a buddy, pack, shovel, etc.... Some of the most sought after in-bounds "backcountry" skiing in the PNW. :eyebrows:) It was all good for a few minutes past the gate, there was a pretty clear trail through the trees (still some of the tightest glades I've skiied) and I managed to keep my speed under control.

Then... the boys disappeared. I figured, hey, just keep going down! Turns were getting easier, I was getting the hang of it! Then I hit an interesting spot. There was a chute, about 15' wide, and a tree in the middle of it. AKA, two chutes, about 6 ft wide, and quite steep. I stood at the top for a moment, trying to pick one, and decided to go left. I was almost past the tree, when my pole got stuck in the snow, and flew out of my hand, over into the other chute. LOL. Gone gone gone. I skied to the bottom, and looked back up the hill, and there was my pole, 20ft above my head. I tried to step up sideways, no luck. So I figured, ok, I'll just take off my skis, and hike up and get it! :doh: Took off the uphill ski, and (I'm sitting here laughing, haha.) sank into the snow, up to my hip. Whoops. I heard the guys yelling, and managed to communicate my situation. After some more yelling, I decided to ditch the other pole, and attempt to get my skis back on. I ended up taking them both off and sliding down on my butt, to a spot with heavier snow. Got the skis back on, and started making VERY long turns down through the snow. (Thigh deep at my speed, yeaah!!) I fell quite a bit, and there were definitely tears. I made it down to the bottom of the valley that we were in, to the single track that lead back to the groomed cat-track to the parking lot. It was extremely flat, and I came to a dead stop. Skis sank into the snow, and I fell on my side. Sat there bawling for a while, trying to figure out where the boys were, and how the hell I was going to get myself out of that mess. I was so stuck, that I was positive that ski patrol was going to come in for me. After 10 ish minutes of sitting trying to make sense of the situation, I managed to pack down enough snow to push myself up, and slowly ski down. The boys? They were just around the corner, being boys. One of them had taken off his skis and jumped into a snow bank, and they were busy taking pictures of him, up to his neck in the snow. I skiied up, still crying, and proceeded to find out that where I had fallen over, was literally only a foot or two from where the creek banks dropped off 12'. Wow. Needless to say, I made it out alive, but WOWWWW.

2- Doesn't really compare to the first story. But I had another situation this year, where I got one ski stuck, and pre-released. Had to slide down to harder pack, to get it back on, and ended up hitting a sheet of ice, and going into an un-controllable Warren Miller picturesque yardsale crash. I flew downhill about 50 yards, skis and poles scattered between where I started and where I was. Thank God for helmets. I ended up stopping just uphill from a lift tower. Wooh. The funny part? I actually thought while I was mid-crash 'this should totally be a Warren Miller crash scene." LOL.

I've done many other stupid things on skis, but these were the two that take the cake. Sorry the first one was so long. :becky: I might have told it on here before, oh well.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Ummm - you know those signs that say "Keep tips up"

Yeah, I'd listen to those. Ended up in the safety netting down below. Of course this was when I was about 12, in ski club at my local pimple of a mountain. But still definitely is the dumbest thing I've done on skis.:clap:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Stupid Ski Trick #1: attempted to ski West Wall at A-Basin (treeless) in a blinding white-out. Can you say vertigo? Coupled with a touch of altitude sickness, and I had to stop to deposit my breakfast :doh: next to my skis. Hope the remains of said meal served as a guidepost to the difference between run and sky for the next skier (imagine getting THAT stuck to your skis! :eek:) Same trip, I think, as the infamous dead-mouse-in-glove incident....memory eludes. If so, interesting trip. But that was DH's stupid trick, not mine.

Stupid Ski Trick #2: Exceedingly warm forecast (70+) at Alta. Wore a short sleeve t-shirt with loose-cuff fleece over it. Did a head over heels dandy pre-release on a nothing run from lift to lift. Resulting road rash eliminated most of the skin between my wrist and elbow :eek: Spent the rest of the trip heavily bandaged and intermittently on codeine. Always wore snug sleeves from then on.

Stupid Ski Trick #3: took a nice powder run on a cold, crisp morning after a snowfall. Forgot, however, that it was at least half an hour, if not more, until lifts open, and this was one of those lodge-atop-lifts-below (Indianhead, MI) kind of places. Stood at the bottom freezing my a** off for a lonnnnnggggg time until lifts opened. Got first tracks though! :becky: -> :rolleyes:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I kept skiing after falling and separating my shoulder. Finally the pain was so bad I could barely breathe when I tried to get off the chair lift so I bailed. It wasn't even lunch time yet. Hit the med building for a sling then drove the 3+ hours home, right to the ER. Unfortunately this was before Matt had his driver's license.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Umm . . . I'm surprised that no one mentioned sex. But certainly, my most stupid moment on skis was thinking that ski boots, poles, gloves, jackets, pants, and of course skis, would not deter those most determined to grab a quickie in the glades . . . Big Mistake. Just in case you haven't tried it . . . it doesn't work. Forget about it. Instead, think about the hot tub and apres skiing and the condo. Those are much better and way more practical ideas. :D

Lilgeorg (my mother): if you read this far - please disregard all of the above and remember me as your cute, little 5-year old girl - which I still am deep down inside. :dance:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Umm . . . I'm surprised that no one mentioned sex. But certainly, my most stupid moment on skis was thinking that ski boots, poles, gloves, jackets, pants, and of course skis, would not deter those most determined to grab a quickie in the glades . . . Big Mistake. Just in case you haven't tried it . . . it doesn't work. Forget about it. Instead, think about the hot tub and apres skiing and the condo. Those are much better and way more practical ideas. :D

Lilgeorg (my mother): if you read this far - please disregard all of the above and remember me as your cute, little 5-year old girl - which I still am deep down inside. :dance:

LOL....THAT's funny! :smile:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

OMG, I just about spit out my dinner! :laughter::laughter::laughter:

Late March '07, thought we were at the mid-mountain stop for Madonna Mtn. (at Smuggler's Notch, VT) and suddenly realized I was at the top and about to head down. Madonna is a very tall mountain and there are very steep parts to this long lift so the thought of riding down frightened me. I yelled and waved to liftie in booth who didn't slow down lift (?) and I jumped off onto huge rocks (most of the snow had been rained off by then). Amazingly I was unhurt, nor were my skis damaged. I skied down like a bowl of jello. This past season, I had PTSD on all lifts until about mid-February, and when I skied Smuggs again in late March, I paid VERY close attention to the stops.

:rolleyes:

IceAngel

Diva in Training
Nothing too bad yet, so far it would have to be laughing at my SO falling over, becoming distracted and then falling over myself! Give me time, I'm sure that I'll manage something crazy sooner or later...

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yeah... in a gondola... but I had my skis off, so that doesn't count!

:yahoo:

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2 dumb things, neither of which caused injury luckily:

- YEARS ago I was skiing at Gore Mt. (New York State) with a girl and a guy, so the guy's like "let's smoke a doobie." So we do, I don't even remember where, probably alongside the side of a trail, and we ski for a while then hit another trail and I just freeze. I could not move, I just remember standing there with my skis perpendicular to the slope thinking, "oh my god, I'm on a slippery hill with two slippery sticks attached to my feet." duh, I never did that again.

- about 12 years ago I try snowboarding with a boyfriend at Stratton, we rented the gear and with it a ticket for the bunny hill. So after trying to board most of the day, we call it a day, but I'm like, hey I have my skis with me so I'll just shoot out for a good run or two then meet you in the lodge, forgetting that I don't have an all-mountain ticket. So the friggin liftie calls security and they drag me into the office where I'm explaining my mistake and that I had rented a board, blah blah blah, can show the receipt, blah blah. I was laughing at myself but they were all serious. They were actually trying to get me to pay a whole day ticket price cause I spaced out about the ticket. NOT, I finally just walked away and they couldn't do anything.

marta

Angel Diva
Stooopidest thing? Gotta be going around the bullwheel at Gore. Just as we get to the top, hubby points at the sun and a cool halo surrounding it. I look up, and so does the summit liftie. Hubbie hops off the lift and I go around the wheel! Liftie stops the lift, and I'm dangling there facing downhill perched above a boulder below. Liftie climbs down and reaches up from below, pops off my skis and says hop off. Well I do, and I land on her. Both of us unscathed. Then I start to climb back up to the top. I get to the top just fine, and promptly slip and fall on an ice chunk and bruise my butt with a 8" shiner! Hubby thinks this is hilarious and says of course its all my fault... :noidea:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Many stupid ski moments:

--First year Snowbird was open (1971?)---got lost off the tram in hip-deep pow in Gad Valley (before the lifts existed) and took 2 hrs to get to the car, may have triggered an avalanche or escaped one--not sure, but three others were caught in it----and I did not have a clue what it was or how to stay safe.

--Alta, 1975---March----before sunblock----fried my face. Really. Second degree blisters taking weeks to heel. Ugly. Messy. Stupid. Great day, though.

--First year as Mtn Host at Solitude, four years ago. Skiing out of gates trying to find Middle Slope by myself---cliffed out. At least had the sense to boot pack out instead of proceeding to certain danger. Telling myself over and over---what a dumb ass---but was proud that I knew enough to hike out and stay safe.

Many more (Jackson back country x-c in 1982 in 25 below, getting back after dark--not telling anyone where we were going, glad we did not freeze to death. How foolish in retrospect.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly