• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tahoe 16/17

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All lifts at Mammoth are closed right now. Rain and wind, more snow expected soon. There's a lot of concern for flooding there too. The second floor decks of the lodges are filled in completely. I booked places for April and May, maybe I should think about booking for June too.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm trying to figure out dates for a trip up to Tahoe/Reno. Looks like mid-March is the best bet.
March is usually good here! Except two years ago when everything was melting in March :smile: Let us know when you are coming!

merrydog

Angel Diva
Oh bummer that is the day we are leaving! Doing the women's camp Mon-Fri and then heading back to Montana to fly out of Bozeman. Hope you have fun in JH! Have you ever been? Are you staying in the village?

Yes, we've had several group trips to JH and we usually stay in Teton Village. Have fun at the camp.

DRG

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sweet, I'm almost positive I will be up both of the weekends you are in South Lake. Yay!
Hopefully we can all connect on one of these weekends. I am traveling next weekend (a non-skiing holiday weekend!) but should be back on the Tahoe weekend circuit after that.

We have only been back from Sun Valley for 3 days. I've never seen so much snow! But that's a separate discussion.

Can't wait to hear about the JH women's camp. I am going to sign up for one of the Kirkwood one-day events. They sent me the dates - will let you both know what I go with in case you're interested.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's pouring here in SC now and very windy. Just saw on weather channel raining hard on Donner Summit now.... @DeweySki careful driving home.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't wait to hear about the JH women's camp. I am going to sign up for one of the Kirkwood one-day events. They sent me the dates - will let you both know what I go with in case you're interested.

Ooo glad you brought this up! I am thinking of doing the 1-day camp on 2/11. Have a voucher from last year when it rained half the time. That was so nice of them and completely unnecessary.

Reactions: DRG

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Tell me about the camp. I did a one day years ago with Olympian Eva Twardokens and it was so much fun.. We went over to that area Rabbit Ridge (?) and was crazy fun. Would have never ventured over there on my own.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Glued to weather channel as showing tahoe/reno. Snow level now at 10k feet.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tell me about the camp. I did a one day years ago with Olympian Eva Twardokens and it was so much fun.. We went over to that area Rabbit Ridge (?) and was crazy fun. Would have never ventured over there on my own.
I did the two-day camp last year and loved it. It happened to fall on a weekend where we got 12'+ of heavy, wet powder and snice/graupel down low. We mostly focused on how to navigate these types of conditions, which was super helpful.

All the instructors are women and most have been at Kirkwood for a long time. The guy that heads up Expedition:Kirkwood (Matt) was around to help with logistics, especially helping people demo wider skis since not many people had skis over 100 mm. He is super nice. Lunch was provided both days and was actually pretty good. At night there was a raffle/giveaway with of a bunch of K2 stuff, including a pair of skis, during a wine and appetizer thing in the ski shop. Sadly I did not win anything :( It was at a kind of inconvenient time (like 6:30-8:00 maybe?) since we had to drive back to South Lake and it was during a storm. Not sure if they do these raffles for the one-day. clinics. Met a lot of rippin ladies during the camp, some of whom I have since run into at Kirkwood and Squaw and taken some laps with. Ages ranged from 30s to 60s. The best part of the camp was you could move yourself between groups at lunch break if you wanted. I actually started in a lower group, moved to the higher group at lunch on Day 1.

Going to try to keep this in mind when going to JH camp. I almost always end up in a group that's a little below my ability, then I get bored and want to move up. Need to be more assertive when we are grouping up on day 1 :smile:

RuthB

Angel Diva
I did the two-day camp last year and loved it. It happened to fall on a weekend where we got 12'+ of heavy, wet powder and snice/graupel down low. We mostly focused on how to navigate these types of conditions, which was super helpful.

All the instructors are women and most have been at Kirkwood for a long time. The guy that heads up Expedition:Kirkwood (Matt) was around to help with logistics, especially helping people demo wider skis since not many people had skis over 100 mm. He is super nice. Lunch was provided both days and was actually pretty good. At night there was a raffle/giveaway with of a bunch of K2 stuff, including a pair of skis, during a wine and appetizer thing in the ski shop. Sadly I did not win anything :( It was at a kind of inconvenient time (like 6:30-8:00 maybe?) since we had to drive back to South Lake and it was during a storm. Not sure if they do these raffles for the one-day. clinics. Met a lot of rippin ladies during the camp, some of whom I have since run into at Kirkwood and Squaw and taken some laps with. Ages ranged from 30s to 60s. The best part of the camp was you could move yourself between groups at lunch break if you wanted. I actually started in a lower group, moved to the higher group at lunch on Day 1.

Going to try to keep this in mind when going to JH camp. I almost always end up in a group that's a little below my ability, then I get bored and want to move up. Need to be more assertive when we are grouping up on day 1 :smile:

The trick I learnt for the JH women's camp from a Ski school director is to use + or - next to the level on the pre-registration form that you hand in at the camp welcome the night before the camp. I picked the level that almost matched but there were a couple of things that I didn't think that I did to my self-imposed standard. So I put my level with a minus next to it. I was not the weakest or slowest person in my group at all.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The trick I learnt for the JH women's camp from a Ski school director is to use + or - next to the level on the pre-registration form that you hand in at the camp welcome the night before the camp. I picked the level that almost matched but there were a couple of things that I didn't think that I did to my self-imposed standard. So I put my level with a minus next to it. I was not the weakest or slowest person in my group at all.
Agree with Ruth! The organizers definitely try to listen to how much a person wants to be pushed. Occasionally, from an outside view the groups may look mismatched, but some super clean skiers are actually quite mellow and some who need more refinement stay upright even in the scariest of couloirs and we know that from previous years.

So do speak up on morning one...as it becomes very difficult to change the groups later on. Usually the changes are made after lunch, with a very rare change up for day two.

I am sure I will see you all skiing around. First year in almost ten years that I am not coaching the January camp....sad....but hopefully will be on the March camp.

Have a blast!

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with Ruth! The organizers definitely try to listen to how much a person wants to be pushed. Occasionally, from an outside view the groups may look mismatched, but some super clean skiers are actually quite mellow and some who need more refinement stay upright even in the scariest of couloirs and we know that from previous years.

So do speak up on morning one...as it becomes very difficult to change the groups later on. Usually the changes are made after lunch, with a very rare change up for day two.

I am sure I will see you all skiing around. First year in almost ten years that I am not coaching the January camp....sad....but hopefully will be on the March camp.

Have a blast!
Oh bummer! Was hoping to see you.

My SO took a video of me skiing the other day and while I thought I killed it, the video made it look like I barely knew how to ski. That got me thinking that's maybe why I feel like I get put in the wrong groups some time.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Holy cow everyone .. Woke up to 24 hour totals:
36 inches Northstar
48 inches Heavenly
40 inches Kirkwood

Hope Northstar opens today.. Heard "delayed opening"
POWDER everywhere!

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy cow everyone .. Woke up to 24 hour totals:
36 inches Northstar
48 inches Heavenly
40 inches Kirkwood

Hope Northstar opens today.. Heard "delayed opening"
POWDER everywhere!
OMGGGG. SO was gonna go up Wednesday night cause he thought Thurs would be the big Pow day. Maybe he/we will go up tonight :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
OMGGGG. SO was gonna go up Wednesday night cause he thought Thurs would be the big Pow day. Maybe he/we will go up tonight :smile:
Many resorts closed today.. Northstar supposed to open.. Going out in a few. It's a blizzard out here. Heard 80 is closed but 50 is probably what you'll take

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please be super careful!! Departments of Transportation are advising against travel in the Tahoe basin until the blizzard is over...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Holy cow! All roads are closed and we are snug as bugs in rugs in the Northstar house.. Plenty of wine and food! Skied today in a raging blizzard in snow that was waist deep! Really. Got a free demo Nordica Santa Ana in a 161. Super fun but so much work getting stuck in waist deep snow...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna