• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Instructors and free skiing

Skisailor

Angel Diva
At Big Sky, only Level 3 instructors are allowed to free ski in uniform. As a level 2 I will say - it's a pain to run into the locker room to change your jacket multiple times a day, but I understand where the resort is coming from.

That said, they let us leave our uniform pants on, so the savvy locals often know if you're an instructor anyway. . . . especially if they've ridden up the chairlift with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At Big Sky, only Level 3 instructors are allowed to free ski in uniform. As a level 2 I will say - it's a pain to run into the locker room to change your jacket multiple times a day, but I understand where the resort is coming from.

That said, they let us leave our uniform pants on, so the savvy locals often know if you're an instructor anyway. . . . especially if they've ridden up the chairlift with you.
I always change out free skiing anyways. I prefer to blend in, I would think most people would want to do that on their own. ? Maybe not. But I can definately see where they are coming from not even just major offenses but you never know who might be listening to what someone is saying in the lift line or anything like that.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I always change out free skiing anyways. I prefer to blend in, I would think most people would want to do that on their own. ? Maybe not. But I can definately see where they are coming from not even just major offenses but you never know who might be listening to what someone is saying in the lift line or anything like that.
Not to mention if they are not an experienced skier and representing the mountain "as a ski instructor."

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At Breck, my understanding (hearsay!) is that the administration would prefer not to have packs of roaming instructors skiing about, which is what tends to happen. And of course there might be the temptation to try to sneak into the lesson line if you're in uniform ... even with no class ...

The only time we are not allowed to ski with our jackets is if we are at our mountain and not working that day. If that's the case you must wear your own jacket. Other than that if you are working just keep your jacket on and go if you get the chance to free ski. When I wear my ski school jacket I make sure to ski my best and not do anything "stupid" because with that jacket on I'm a representative of the mountain and I take that very seriously. Plus ski school jackets are different than the employees not affiliated with the ski school so we are easily identifiable. I also ski with a lei hanging from the back of my helmet so you can pick me out easy enough. They also like us to ski about with our jackets on also because we are on mountain ambassadors in the event someone is unsure what trail to go down, has fallen and needs help or just in general has a question. We're encouraged to ask someone if they are ok or need any help if they are stopped on the side and look like they have a question or if they are on the ground we obviously stop and ask if they are ok/need help, etc. One of the nice perks they also allow us is if we are free skiing we are allowed to get in the ski school line so can bypass the crowds and not have to wait. This is extra helpful when it's crowded or if we only have a limited time to free ski so we can get the front of the line and on the chair without having to wait so can ski and get back to lineup quickly enough, etc.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah, I was mostly referring to large Western ski resorts.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the nice perks they also allow us is if we are free skiing we are allowed to get in the ski school line so can bypass the crowds and not have to wait. This is extra helpful when it's crowded or if we only have a limited time to free ski so we can get the front of the line and on the chair without having to wait so can ski and get back to lineup quickly enough, etc.

I'm pretty sure that if ski instructors were flying through the ski school line, lapping on a powder day before lineup, the visitors would riot. I've already had people yell obscenities at me for being able to use the ski school line in a class on a powder day ... at which point, I just grin and tell them they can pony up for a lesson, too.

I'm pretty sure that if ski instructors were flying through the ski school line, lapping on a powder day before lineup, the visitors would riot. I've already had people yell obscenities at me for being able to use the ski school line in a class on a powder day ... at which point, I just grin and tell them they can pony up for a lesson, too.

Exactly :smile:

Powder days aren't something we really deal with here in the northeast so that's one less thing for people to get mad at us about. 2 of our quads get VERY crowded and I'm eternally grateful to be able to skip the line but we have our jackets on. Hopefully visitors aren't scowling at us for cutting the line. Of course I can only skip the line when I'm solo or with other instructors. We aren't allowed to do it when we're with non employees, etc so when DH and I get to ski together for a bit we have to wait in line.

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Exactly :smile:

Powder days aren't something we really deal with here in the northeast so that's one less thing for people to get mad at us about. 2 of our quads get VERY crowded and I'm eternally grateful to be able to skip the line but we have our jackets on. Hopefully visitors aren't scowling at us for cutting the line. Of course I can only skip the line when I'm solo or with other instructors. We aren't allowed to do it when we're with non employees, etc so when DH and I get to ski together for a bit we have to wait in line.

I mean, if it's a big crowd and you just scoot to the front - yeah, that can be annoying to visitors.

I mean, if it's a big crowd and you just scoot to the front - yeah, that can be annoying to visitors.

We have another quad on the far left end and a triple on the other end without ski school lines so if we've ever over there with students or free skiing we have to wait in line with everyone else. Fortunately, those two end chairs are rarely crazy crowded so the wait is always small.
At the 2 main quads we have a separate line entirely for the ski school so I look at it as not so much cutting but more just getting in our very own line :smile:. If I were physically walking past people to get in front of them than I can see that as being very annoying.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have another quad on the far left end and a triple on the other end without ski school lines so if we've ever over there with students or free skiing we have to wait in line with everyone else. Fortunately, those two end chairs are rarely crazy crowded so the wait is always small.
At the 2 main quads we have a separate line entirely for the ski school so I look at it as not so much cutting but more just getting in our very own line :smile:. If I were physically walking past people to get in front of them than I can see that as being very annoying.

I don't think you're getting the picture. Which is fine.

The picture is that by going in the ski school line I'm still "cutting" in front of others although I'm not physically walking by them I'm still getting on the chair before they are. This concept of "cutting" the line regardless of how it's done can still be annoying to visitors when its crowded.

However, as told to the people waiting in line they too can take a lesson and they will get their chance to scoot ahead as well.

We all have to wait in line at times; when we aren't taking a lesson, are skiing with our significant others or friends who aren't employees, when we are at lifts where there isn't a ski school entrance or when we are at another mountain where we don't have that privilege so at the end of the day it all evens out.

:ski2:

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
At the local bump when I taught there, we were allowed to free ski in uniform. And expected to help out an any accident on the hill. But it was only 200' of vertical if we had a good year.

Tremblant - I see instructors free ski all the time. They are NOT allowed to cut line by going through the ski school. That line is actually controlled by RFID cards. And if they are not working at all and in "civvies" then their pass doesn't work in that line.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
One of the nice perks they also allow us is if we are free skiing we are allowed to get in the ski school line so can bypass the crowds and not have to wait. This is extra helpful when it's crowded or if we only have a limited time to free ski so we can get the front of the line and on the chair without having to wait so can ski and get back to lineup quickly enough, etc.

Sorry, if I saw free-skiing instructors just jumping ahead by using the ski school line, I'd be pissed. As instructors, we were always told NEVER to do that. The customers always come first!

I was never allowed to free ski in my ski school jacket; I had to change out. And, that was fine with me.....I was just a Level 1 instructor teaching on the bunny hill, so I'd rather be free-skiing in my "civvies" because I was nowhere near the level of many of my colleagues.

Jilly

Staff member
When I took my level 2 ski off (which they don't have now!), the examiner stated that he wanted to picture the skier in his ski school jacket and it would be the perfect advertisement for his ski school. So skiing in the uniform has it's advantages as a promo for the ski school. But if the instructor is not up to par, then that's just plains back fires. Whenever I was in uniform I was always skiing to my best potential.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sorry, if I saw free-skiing instructors just jumping ahead by using the ski school line, I'd be pissed. As instructors, we were always told NEVER to do that. The customers always come first!

I was never allowed to free ski in my ski school jacket; I had to change out. And, that was fine with me.....I was just a Level 1 instructor teaching on the bunny hill, so I'd rather be free-skiing in my "civvies" because I was nowhere near the level of many of my colleagues.
Well I think it's also the public perception. Someone once told me I should start instructing and I said "No way - I'm not an expert skier." What would people think? Maybe it's my weird thought that all ski instructors are either very advanced or experts.
As far as being allowed to go through the ski school line, well I never noticed but doubt a customer service area like Northstar would allow that.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's the thing, though - if it were a perk of the job at my resort, I'd definitely do it! I also know that visitors would not be thrilled. Lines always suck, and seeing anyone get to skip them except a ski patroller is annoying. And maybe some people even resent patrollers.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Here's the thing, though - if it were a perk of the job at my resort, I'd definitely do it!

Well sure but the visitors/other skiers might not understand that. But as I stated earlier , I've never really paid attention.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna