• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Good movies?

merrydog

Angel Diva
Absolutely - I really liked the female nerdiness - it's a good thing. :smile: Plus - they did a fantastic job with all the cameos. It's one of those - stay into the credits type of movies. Good stuff.

Many on the interwebs were upset that the main characters were replaced by women. :rolleyes: That made me want to see it more, I'm glad that you found the movie fun. Something to look forward to.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Many on the interwebs were upset that the main characters were replaced by women. :rolleyes: That made me want to see it more

Me, too! I believe the complaint was that by putting women in the roles of the Ghostbusters, they were "r*ping our childhood." Mmhmm.

Just saw The Secret Life of Pets for the second time and I enjoyed it just as much. I noticed things the second time I didn't see the first time. Very cute movie. Next up likely Star Trek

Tvan

Angel Diva
I think the previews for Florence Foster Jenkins look interesting and it's a great cast. Meryl Street, Hugh Grant, Simon Helberg... Should be interesting.

We are heading out early tomorrow top see the new Star Trek release.... I love the chemistry between the cast of the most recent movies so I am looking forward to it. I normally don't care for action films, but I LOVE the newest Star Trek series, and I have a thing for Iron Man.

For anyone who liked the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, you might enjoy The Hundred Foot Journey. The book was excellent, and the movie was not as good as the book, but still enjoyable.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My DH knows my rules: no prison movies, no Mafia movies, no boxing movies. And most importantly, NO MOVIES DEPICTING ANIMAL CRUELTY in any way, shape or form. I don't care if it is only a two second clip or if cruelty is even suggested - it is OUT. I can't handle sad, sweet animal movies either.

We do love food movies: Dinner Rush, The Big Night, Chef, Julie & Julia, My Dinner with Andre (tho not really a food movie) and The Hundred Foot Journey are big faves. Then there are the wine movies: Sideways, Bottle Shock, Somm, Mondovino.

We also like heist films like The Italian Job and Sneakers, etc.

When I'm home alone, though, I go straight for the BBC costume dramas, especially anything Jane Austen. With my favorite pizza and a pint of gelato. So damn predictable. :rolleyes:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Eat Drink Man Woman is a great food movie, so is Like Water for Chocolate and Chocolat. I like most movies, except axe murderer/occult/bloodbath horror.

Never Forever is an interesting and provocative romantic movie. Vera Farmiga is the female lead.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't even know there was a new Star Trek coming out. I am totally game. I was a Trekkie from the get go when the first episode aired on my 7th birthday in 1966. I'm glad I went back through this thread -- I have a nice little list now! thanx!!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We don't make very many films here in NZ so when we do we often get quite excited about them.This one,Hunt for the Wilderpeople,is just one of those. As we say here,it's Kiwi as.It pays homage to and takes the mickey out of the odd iconic Hollywood movie as well.It really is worth 90 minutes of anyones time.Boy and Eagle vs Shark are older but great too.

Christy

Angel Diva
Me, too! I believe the complaint was that by putting women in the roles of the Ghostbusters, they were "r*ping our childhood." Mmhmm.

I am pretty lazy about seeing films in theaters, but I'm going to make it a point to see this to counter all the hateful stuff people have said about the women leads. The tweets that Leslie Jones has gotten! Outrageous. I can't imagine having a life so small that this movie ruins it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am pretty lazy about seeing films in theaters, but I'm going to make it a point to see this to counter all the hateful stuff people have said about the women leads. The tweets that Leslie Jones has gotten! Outrageous. I can't imagine having a life so small that this movie ruins it.

I read/heard somewhere that these .. misguided men are tanking ratings, effectively damaging attendance because people check Rotten Tomatoes, etc before seeing a movie. These .. misguided people are much more passionate about rating than people who enjoyed the movie. I have not done any investigation myself to see if this is definitely true, but I've heard people saying they found it pretty fun, and it has lots of female relationships of a variety of stripes that aren't just women talking about men.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saw a trailer for Wonder Woman, apparently coming out next year, and it looks fantastic. I'm so in the mood for that.

I can't believe people are trashing Ghostbusters. I mean I don't care for the first one any longer and was going to write off the new one but not because of the female cast but because generally speaking I'm not a fan of remakes. However, I've heard some good things about it so I will make a concerted effort to catch it via streaming one of these months.

I never really watched Wonder Woman back in the day so I have to admit I'm not really curious about the movie, although I hope it does well and people enjoy it.

The Jason Bourne movie comes out this weekend so I'm looking forward to that as well as Star Trek.

A girlfriend is visiting town in a few days so we're going to have a hen night and go see Tarzan so that will be fun.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't believe people are trashing Ghostbusters. I mean I don't care for the first one any longer and was going to write off the new one but not because of the female cast but because generally speaking I'm not a fan of remakes. However, I've heard some good things about it so I will make a concerted effort to catch it via streaming one of these months.

DH and I just watched it last night. It was amazeballs. I mean, it wasn't like a towering oeuvre of cinema or anything, but it had nonstop laughs and fun, cool effects, crazy good ghosts (especially toward the end with the ... well anyway), and I can't overstate the revolutionary act of having three physicist/technologist women (plus a kickass MTA worker, also female) as protagonists. Holtzmann had kind of a Tank Girl vibe that I loved. Chris Hemsworth as "dumber than a box of rocks" secretary was ... eh, there were some funny gags, but his role wasn't my favorite until <other thing> happens.

Lots of fun little bits throughout the credits, too.

DH and I just watched it last night. It was amazeballs. I mean, it wasn't like a towering oeuvre of cinema or anything, but it had nonstop laughs and fun, cool effects, crazy good ghosts (especially toward the end with the ... well anyway), and I can't overstate the revolutionary act of having three physicist/technologist women (plus a kickass MTA worker, also female) as protagonists. Holtzmann had kind of a Tank Girl vibe that I loved. Chris Hemsworth as "dumber than a box of rocks" secretary was ... eh, there were some funny gags, but his role wasn't my favorite until <other thing> happens.

Lots of fun little bits throughout the credits, too.

Nice, my sisters and mom liked it also. Will have to check it out.

Tonight's movie is Jason Bourne

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Saw a trailer for Wonder Woman, apparently coming out next year, and it looks fantastic. I'm so in the mood for that.

A little off topic, but I just finished reading Jill Lepore's "The Secret History of Wonder Woman" and I loved it!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/Secret-Histor...8&qid=1470197864&sr=1-2&keywords=wonder+woman

I highly recommend it. I thought some divas might like it - especially if you're interested in the history of the women's rights movement in the U.S.!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm finally ready to watch movies in the theater (my knee can handle it) - and Tarzan is almost out the door!

I am tempted to go see the last showing at the local "all seats are recliners" theater tomorrow ... at 9:15pm =/

altagirl

Staff member
We went and saw the new Star Trek this weekend, which we really loved (no surprise there!). :smile: I loved the light-hearted stuff that felt like a throwback to the very originals.

Which is amusing because I have to admit, I'm not super stoked to go see the latest Jason Bourne movie (I loved the originals, but I also loved reading the books WAY back when...) But somehow the last ones have just seemed to be way too similar I guess. Which is funny, that I'm like bleh, too many Bourne movies, but YAY!!! let's go see the millionth Star Trek!!!

I am excited to see the new star trek but as someone who doesn't like science'y stuff I think the draw here is I love the cast (John Cho, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto).

I love the Jason Bourne movies, love em. I do admit they are all "the same" and the movies are spent with the folks trying to catch Bourne but I friggen love them. I was a fan of the Jeremy Renner one (last one). I have to admit that Damon did a good job in the Jason Bourne one that we saw last night.

Was going to see Star Trek next tuesday but then my sisters sent around a text about Bad Moms which isn't high on my list but the ratings are good and I like hanging with the sisters so all in all should be a fun night.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga