• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Good movies?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We already have threads about shows - please stick to movies here =)

DH and I have divergent tastes in movies. He likes spy thrillers and stuff about war. Both of which I hate. He also likes "dumb" comedies like Zoolander, stuff with Jim Carrey, etc. I like stuff that's funny in a more subtle way; feel-good dramas; shoot 'em ups and sci fi if they're not heavy on gore and violence. Go out of my way to avoid rape and torture scenes.

So, yeah, it's hard to find movies we both want to watch. We have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO, and Showtime, so you'd think we could come up with something. But navigating through all of it to find something that's both good and appealing to both of us - it's a tough order. We both enjoy superhero movies, although I avoided Deadpool because I knew the gore factor would be too high for me. And I did enjoy Thor immensely, mostly for Chris Hemsworth's upper body ...

Honestly at this point, it's just a matter of finding something that *one* of us would enjoy and the other would be willing to watch.

That's where DH and i are. He likes sci fi and i don't. I like select horror movies, anything mafia related, anything with ice cube in it plus the ocassional comedy such as super bad but i am picky there too. We meet in the middle on spy type movie (bourne franchise) and super hero movie (avengers).

We go to the movies every Tuesday on discount night (I'm cheap) and it usually boils down to a movie that one of us wants and what the other is willing to watch. Plus i bring wine so that sonetimes helps lol

Give deadpool a try. Its campy blood like kill bill but the writing is very snappy and ryan reynolds nails it.

Other favorites were the dictator, ted 1 and 2, ex machina, latest bourne movie, the divergent series, barbershop, ride a long 2, NWA story, hail caesar, criminal, janes bond movies with daniel craig, eddie the Eagle, the drop, antman, a million ways to die in the west, the hateful eight and django unchained.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks!

We just watched The Big Short, which was fascinating to me, esp. given that I worked for a company tied to the financial industry from 2005-2015. And yes, got increasingly skeezed, even though we weren't doing any trading ourselves - we hosted investment websites. And then we were bought by Goldman and later Markit, which was somehow involved in CDSes. I can't believe they made the movie as interesting as they did. And really something that will be on my mind for a while. I've been pondering how lucky we are in so many aspects of our lives. At the time, the biggest impact (aside from retirement accounts which I try not to look at too often) was that our clients were squeezing us because they couldn't pay us (or were using the crisis to say they couldn't pay us; hard to tell), and I ended up contracted out directly to GS for a few months to help my company pay the bills. Visited the GS offices, in fact. The longer I worked in bank-related stuff, the more it made me uncomfortable. And honestly we weren't getting paid like the big boys, either.

Give deadpool a try. Its campy blood like kill bill but the writing is very snappy and ryan reynolds nails it.

Hah, funny. I can't watch Kill Bill. Walked out in the middle of Pulp Fiction, too. I might be getting more resilient with age (I was able to watch the last episode of GoT), but violence for humor is something I can't stomach.

Thanks!

We just watched The Big Short, which was fascinating to me, esp. given that I worked for a company tied to the financial industry from 2005-2015. And yes, got increasingly skeezed, even though we weren't doing any trading ourselves - we hosted investment websites. And then we were bought by Goldman and later Markit, which was somehow involved in CDSes. I can't believe they made the movie as interesting as they did. And really something that will be on my mind for a while. I've been pondering how lucky we are in so many aspects of our lives. At the time, the biggest impact (aside from retirement accounts which I try not to look at too often) was that our clients were squeezing us because they couldn't pay us (or were using the crisis to say they couldn't pay us; hard to tell), and I ended up contracted out directly to GS for a few months to help my company pay the bills. Visited the GS offices, in fact. The longer I worked in bank-related stuff, the more it made me uncomfortable. And honestly we weren't getting paid like the big boys, either.

Hah, funny. I can't watch Kill Bill. Walked out in the middle of Pulp Fiction, too. I might be getting more resilient with age (I was able to watch the last episode of GoT), but violence for humor is something I can't stomach.

The big short was a very good movie. I used to work for one of the companies caught up in all of that and they were very good to me. That was my first "big" paralegal job and helped set the tone for my entire career so I have a lot of loyalty to them. Michael and I often discuss all of that and because I worked for them, well I tend to defend them. They were an excellent company and treated us very well. I was very friendly with the CFO and all the founders so I knew them as people not as the monsters portrayed by the media. I just say that what was going on was the hot market at the time and all New Century did was jump into the pool with the others. These companies were giving loans in creative ways to people who didn't otherwise deserve them and this was the trend at the time. Were shady dealings going on, I don't know. I worked in legal and one of my jobs was in the secondary marketing area getting all the documents signed and finalized for the various pools of loans that we sold to Goldman, CSFB, BOFA and Countrywide just to name a few. I am not saying they were innocent but its a tough line for me because it was my first big job, they were great to us and some of my friends with whom I am friends with to this day came from working here. This job shaped me for the career I have now and I just have a lot of loyalty to them because it was a great place to work so I straddle the line with defending them and knowing things were allegedly going on that weren't right.

That said the Big short was a good movie with a shockingly interesting story line and the score was very good also.

I didn't like Pulp Fiction but I love Kill Bill I and 2. Maybe its so campy the humor and violence doesn't bother me. It's very campy. Dead pool didn't come across as particularly violent to me. Maybe because it comes across as so very tongue in cheek that it doesn't jump out at me. I can watch those with no issue but had a hard time watching London is falling as it was very violent and it was hard to watch a city I love being destroyed by terrorist violence.

One movie that caught my surprise was Ex Machina. It was one of those movies you weren't sure you liked but then each day after you saw it sinks into you more and you go you know that was a damn good movie.

Last edited:
Thanks!

This just posted multiple times, please delete, thanks.

altagirl

Staff member
Hmmm. That is a tall order. Haha, and you have to admit not liking gore, violence, rape or torture but liking GOT is... hard to sort out.

That said.... have you guys seen the Imitation Game? Or Bridge of Spies?

I have to say that Bridge of Spies surprised me. It's one of those movies that is just intense without being violent. I'm generally not a Tom Hanks fan however I thought this was done exceptionally well where you could feel the fear that the people must have been experiencing in real life.

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
What about Wes Anderson movies? I really loved Moonlight Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel. Both of these are movies that I can't pass up when I see them on HBO. And they're also fun to watch over and over again because the signs and background visuals are really hilarious.

For what it's worth I also cannot deal with Dumb and Dumber type movies.

Last edited:
I heard the Grand Budapest Hotel was really good. I am not normally a cartoon person but I'm excited to see The Secret Life of Pets and Sausage Party.

altagirl

Staff member
I want to see secret life of pets too.

I'm also rather inexplicable on horror movies. I tend to say I don't like the whole genre, but in reality there are very specific and hard to describe types that I hate.

I want to see secret life of pets too.

I'm also rather inexplicable on horror movies. I tend to say I don't like the whole genre, but in reality there are very specific and hard to describe types that I hate.

I like horror movies but very specific ones and its rare I like newer ones. My favorites are The Shining and the original Halloween. I love more suspense than gore. I like the whole Scream franchise but I really can't think of a horror movie that's come out in the past handful of years that I either saw and liked or even saw at all.

I was going to write off Sausage Party and never see it but DH's 18 year old niece you tubed a preview for us and I almost peed my pants in laughter. It's the toy story of the fruit and vegetable world.

alicie

Angel Diva
I like the best exotic marigold hotel, not watched the second yet. I watched inside out last month, and it is so sad, I was so upset about the imaginary friend, I cried more than I cried at toy story 3. Secret life of pets looks good. As does that second magic film, now you see me, I loved the first one. The Ab Fab movie looks good from the trailer, but I've heard it's not as good as the trailer. I want to watch the recent one with Colin firth, I think it's about spies I'm not really sure.

altagirl

Staff member
I liked Best Exotic Marigold Hotel too, but I know DH vetoed that one so I saw it by myself on HBO.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
(goes off to see if she can review her DVD queue/history at Netflix) I tend to enjoy slighly offbeat feel good stories not the mainstream Hollywood smarmy stuff.

Chef was a really nice feel good story, well enjoyed all around. - disillusioned chef finds new meaning and connects with his kid
St. Vincent with Bill Murray was another one. alcoholic neighbor befriends a kid, and life lessons
Valley Uprising is a great documentary about the Camp 4 culture at Yosemite. (documentary)
The Martian was awesome
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
The Walk (biopic about the guy who wire walked between the twin towers)
The Kingsman (tounge in cheek spy spoof)
Rust and Bone (slighly heavy)
Monuments Men
Any Tenacious D movie (Jack Black alter ego)
Any OSS 117(french spy spoof, very campy and hilarious) may be hard to find

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not saying they were innocent but its a tough line for me because it was my first big job, they were great to us and some of my friends with whom I am friends with to this day came from working here.

When I visited GS, I liked the people, although I was freaked out that even the software males wore black dress shoes. I live in Boulder - total culture shock. Only the sysadmin wore what I'd expect from a computer guy. But people can be very different to the people they identify as "us" vs anonymous "them" - just look at many examples of gruesome interrogators who are great family men. Not that I'm truly comparing stock brokers with torturers. DH would do anything for me (except the chores I ask him to do! typical), but it's pretty clear he has limited empathy for people who are not in his immediate circle. I mean, it's true for me, too, just to a different degree. It's just ... human nature. Also I suspect that this stuff just kind of happened step by step, like the frog boiling in the pot. No one step seemed all that egregious, and the people making "synthetic" CDOs probably didn't actually know how shaky the foundation was. I would have to think that the mortgage brokers knew what they were doing, though. Not to the economy, but to the individuals.

Dead pool didn't come across as particularly violent to me. Maybe because it comes across as so very tongue in cheek that it doesn't jump out at me.

Now that it's available on ... I saw it somewhere, maybe Showtime - I can check it out without too much risk. In the theater would have been too far. DH says I wouldn't like it, though. I watched Kickass, but cringed and considered turning it off a few times.

Hmmm. That is a tall order. Haha, and you have to admit not liking gore, violence, rape or torture but liking GOT is... hard to sort out.

That said.... have you guys seen the Imitation Game? Or Bridge of Spies?

I agree that it's a weirdly tight needle's eye for me. I have a much higher tolerance for violence of all sorts in books, which is weird, because books are in many ways more intimate ... I think having read the GoT books kept me interested enough to deal with the violence, which definitely made me squirm in a bad way - especially when **** turned ****'s skull to mush a few seasons ago. Blech.

I have not seen either. I'll check them out.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
(goes off to see if she can review her DVD queue/history at Netflix) I tend to enjoy slighly offbeat feel good stories not the mainstream Hollywood smarmy stuff.

Chef was a really nice feel good story, well enjoyed all around. - disillusioned chef finds new meaning and connects with his kid
St. Vincent with Bill Murray was another one. alcoholic neighbor befriends a kid, and life lessons
Valley Uprising is a great documentary about the Camp 4 culture at Yosemite. (documentary)
The Martian was awesome
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
The Walk (biopic about the guy who wire walked between the twin towers)
The Kingsman (tounge in cheek spy spoof)
Rust and Bone (slighly heavy)
Monuments Men
Any Tenacious D movie (Jack Black alter ego)
Any OSS 117(french spy spoof, very campy and hilarious) may be hard to find

I loved Chef. Both of us loved The Martian. So based on that, I'll definitely check your other suggestions out.

When I visited GS, I liked the people, although I was freaked out that even the software males wore black dress shoes. I live in Boulder - total culture shock. Only the sysadmin wore what I'd expect from a computer guy. But people can be very different to the people they identify as "us" vs anonymous "them" - just look at many examples of gruesome interrogators who are great family men. Not that I'm truly comparing stock brokers with torturers. DH would do anything for me (except the chores I ask him to do! typical), but it's pretty clear he has limited empathy for people who are not in his immediate circle. I mean, it's true for me, too, just to a different degree. It's just ... human nature. Also I suspect that this stuff just kind of happened step by step, like the frog boiling in the pot. No one step seemed all that egregious, and the people making "synthetic" CDOs probably didn't actually know how shaky the foundation was. I would have to think that the mortgage brokers knew what they were doing, though. Not to the economy, but to the individuals.

This was my first time quoting separate parts of a posting so hope I didn't fubar this. I am sure some of the brokers were totally up to no good and who knows maybe the head honchos were shady too but I knew them as Bob, Brad, Ed, Steve and Patty so its a hard line for me. We did have a couple people as part of our legal team who managed the brokers and they were always investigating one of them for shady dealings.

Not relating to the shadiness but just a fun fact was part of my job was approving powers of attorneys for people that couldn't sign their own loan documents. The very first power of attorney I had to approve was for Yolanda Saldivar, the woman who murdered Selena.

It was a good job and I had a lot of fun there.

Now that it's available on ... I saw it somewhere, maybe Showtime - I can check it out without too much risk. In the theater would have been too far. DH says I wouldn't like it, though. I watched Kickass, but cringed and considered turning it off a few times.

I never saw kickass but I would say that its in an entirely different category. Deadpool is a marvel movie so it feels very avengers like except its way campy and Ryan Reynolds just has some fabulous one liners. There's a fight scene in there while the building is burning down and he's naked fighting 'the enemy'. They poke fun at the X men and there's some jokes in there about the movie budget, etc. I thought it was very well done.

I will now get off the deadpool soap box :smile:

I heard Scarface is being remade and I'm of mixed feelings about this since I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this movie.

Girl on a train is also coming in the fall and I loved the book.

altagirl

Staff member

I think it's worth a shot. We both really liked Deadpool (and while I liked Kickass, I don't consider them similar either...). And with all the "Don't bring your kids!" online stuff I guess I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I think what stood out to me is that's it felt more like extra raunchy (but hilarious) dialogue - and a lot of nudity/sex.

Quite honestly, I get more disturbed by the superhero movies where there is a ton of violence/destruction and no blood/no consequences. The last Captain America dealt with that a bit, but even still, that seems (perhaps oddly) more offensive and disturbing to me than something that is more... realistic. Like you can blow up buildings and throw cars around and don't even have to think about all the collateral damage and people you're killing while you're chasing each other around and destroying half of a city. That makes me dislike those types of movies more and more lately. I think I also liked Deadpool for making fun of those movies...

Plus - we have the whole Utah law nonsense that came up around Deadpool which makes me want to go see it a few more times in theatres if ever ends up back at Brewvies...

https://fox13now.com/2016/04/25/deadpool-star-ryan-reynolds-shows-support-for-brewvies/

I mean seriously. My tax dollars were used to send an investigator to Brewvies to watch the movie and determine it contained "sex acts". Well no $h!t....

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last Captain America dealt with that a bit, but even still, that seems (perhaps oddly) more offensive and disturbing to me than something that is more... realistic. Like you can blow up buildings and throw cars around and don't even have to think about all the collateral damage and people you're killing while you're chasing each other around and destroying half of a city. That makes me dislike those types of movies more and more lately.

Interesting. I always complain about this, but I still enjoy these types of movies. Then again as a kid Conan and Red Sonja were my go-tos. Yeah, my movie tastes are convoluted. I don't think I understood when I first saw Red Sonja exactly what had happened to her family.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna