• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Is it too early for the annual skiing goals thread?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's interesting. Are you allow to go UPHILL?

Uhh ... you're allowed to turn the skis uphill, sure, but not so far that you come to a stop.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are skiing the spaces between the trees, not the trees. Don't look at the trees.
I know that much and I don't. I am still sweating like a pig and once I am out of the trees I am not looking to going back unlike with other "scary" things I ski. I feel like I just dodged a certain death:smile: I guess if I do it more often I will get and feel better, but we don't have easy practice areas and nothing really compares to skiing trees because they don't move and they tell you where and when to turn and it's non-negotiable unlike bumps with generally heavier penalty for mistakes:smile: So I avoid where I can.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know that much and I don't. I am still sweating like a pig and once I am out of the trees I am not looking to going back unlike with other "scary" things I ski. I feel like I just dodged a certain death:smile: I guess if I do it more often I will get and feel better, but we don't have easy practice areas and nothing really compares to skiing trees because they don't move and they tell you where and when to turn and it's non-negotiable unlike bumps with generally heavier penalty for mistakes:smile: So I avoid where I can.

If skiing something made me feel that upset, I would avoid skiing it for sure. Life's too short.

When I started skiing with DH, we skied a lot of off-piste and bumps double blacks (US term) because that's what he wanted to ski. But without lessons, I never got better or enjoyed it more - I just got a little more comfortable being close to the edge of the trail (lined by trees). It was survival. In retrospect, it was a big waste of time - lots of tears and fights and no progression or enjoyment. I didn't think I needed lessons, either, since I was skiing double blacks, right? It's only with time, lots of lessons, and some hindsight that I realize how much misery I could have avoided by either skiing what I enjoyed, or taking lessons to work up to enjoying terrain.

I generally need a coach/instructor to progress - I'm just not naturally coordinated. You may be different. But my experience was that doing the same thing, over and over, and being freaked out - did not lead to greater enjoyment or skill. I needed new tools to approach that terrain.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not sure "upset" is the word, but in my experience trees were either too easy when I cannot see what the problem they cause or really hard - tight and steep with nothing in between, so it's hard to improve. I would follow people, but once we are out and they go "same again?" I go "no thanks, I rather wait for you here". Not a massive deal as most of our skiing is above tree line anyway. I am thinking about lesson dedicated to trees only but because trees are fairly uncommon it's not high on priority list.

abc

Banned
I have mixed feeling about trees.

On the one hand, trees hold snow much better than the open slope. So the condition can still be good days after a storm.

On the other hand, every line in the trees can be different. Sometimes, I found a line I can flow smoothly and enjoy the good snow. Other times, I end up in trees too tight for my comfort and ended up making one turn at a time. The worst is when I had a good line and going at a good clip, but it runs into trees progressively tighter till I suddenly realize I was going dangerously fast! That's when I felt like I just cheated death and wouldn't want to go back to ANY TREES again!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Other times, I end up in trees too tight for my comfort and ended up making one turn at a time.

I don't mind that so much, as long as it's not so steep that even the one turn is terrifying (which does happen sometimes). Other than the fact that I worry about my friends waiting for me at the bottom, I actually find enjoyment in looking around, trying to game out the right spot, make a turn, stop, repeat. Then again, this usually happens when I've been seeking untracked or minimally tracked powder after skiers have already been through, so it's just part of the game of powder-hunting.

abc

Banned
I don't mind that so much, as long as it's not so steep that even the one turn is terrifying (which does happen sometimes).
It's always possible to side slip, or even side step, down tight spots.

But if the whole section of trees are that tight, then I really don't enjoy it any more. Because it's no longer skiing, just surviving.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's always possible to side slip, or even side step, down tight spots.

But if the whole section of trees are that tight, then I really don't enjoy it any more. Because it's no longer skiing, just surviving.

Right, and that's where my comment applies - if it happens because I'm chasing powder and got caught in ever-tightening trees, I don't mind it so much, because hey, powder!

I did get caught I think last season in super tight trees. It wasn't steep so much as impossible to see how I would get out, even laterally, because I'd basically worked my way into a cul de sac blocked by branches. The soft snow made that extra stressful. I also assumed that my skiing partners were aware and nearby - but it turned out that while they'd followed me to get the goods, they'd then headed back out and skied ahead to the group. That was a little scary in retrospect.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
I'll join the chorus of skiers who want to learn/improve their bump skiing. It's becoming really limiting not being able to handle myself in mogul terrain.

I came across a website called "Bumps For Boomers" that had a really interesting discussion of tactics for all levels of skiers. I hope to be able to apply their green/blue level tactics this winter. https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/introduction-safe-mogul-skiing-tactics

I also want to work on having patience with myself when learning new techniques. I tend to get frustrated/upset with myself if I'm failing to grasp a new concept during a lesson. I need to remember that this is supposed to be fun above all.

abc

Banned
I did get caught I think last season in super tight trees. It wasn't steep so much as impossible to see how I would get out, even laterally, because I'd basically worked my way into a cul de sac blocked by branches. The soft snow made that extra stressful. I also assumed that my skiing partners were aware and nearby - but it turned out that while they'd followed me to get the goods, they'd then headed back out and skied ahead to the group. That was a little scary in retrospect.
I got caught in one such situation. And I wasn't 100% sure it comes out on a run either. So I ended up working my ways back up to where I enter the glade. Not fun. :(

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got caught in one such situation. And I wasn't 100% sure it comes out on a run either. So I ended up working my ways back up to where I enter the glade. Not fun. :(

Not at all =/ So far I've avoided having to go back up the hill, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. Fortunately I knew the cat track was right below me - I just couldn't *get* there (without breaking a few branches).

abc

Banned
Not at all =/ So far I've avoided having to go back up the hill, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.
I think that's the point that makes me feel I'm getting too old for. I now had experienced enough "situation" that I'd rather not repeat any more. Now, if I don't know (reasonably) that the path is clear to the exit, I'm not going in even if it means I'm missing on the powder.

It seems backwards in logic. Because I've had worked uphill and know it can be done, I should be MORE willing to go in, not less. (it's slow going, 2 step uphill and 1 step down, but it actually only took less than 5-10 minutes)

But at the time, the anxiety of not knowing if I can get out or not, was just so great I told myself I would NEVER risk getting into that same situation again.

alicie

Angel Diva
Ski as much as possible.
Save money so I can ski as much as possible, fuel is expensive (US fuel is about half the price of ours).
I would like to get over my issues with t bars. I hate the getting off part. The rest is fine, I'm excellent at getting on t bars, you have to be here as you get pulled forwards very fast, many children go for a little fly.

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have mixed feeling about trees.

On the one hand, trees hold snow much better than the open slope. So the condition can still be good days after a storm.

On the other hand, every line in the trees can be different....

Yeah for trees! I love trees and it's reactive skiing at it's finest so if you like the challenge of Moguls you'll love trees if you give them a chance. Like abc said, the snow is better in there (usually- unless you've had no new snow in awhile) but it can be hell if you get into a batch that snowboarders, with longer turns, have been through- It's like a crazy bobsled run then and that I'm not into so much. I like the tight trees as it's usually a skiers line then and you can fall line it better and the snow is usually good enough to let you pick the pace.

What I don't like about trees is that I ski alone enough that I can't go in them as much as I like and get better at them.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. You are definitely not typical - a lot of people find trees super intimidating. Okay so. How do you approach skiing trees, and how does that differ from how you approach skiing bumps?

@klar summed it up perfectly and simply: I try to ski the space between the trees. I also don't feel bad about stopping to look for some options.

Duckie

Certified Ski Diva
My goal for this season is to successfully ski down the run that almost killed me last season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga