• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to Ski?

denise_q

Certified Ski Diva
My other half and I are heading to the US in April next year, as part of the trip we wanted to spend 5 days skiing early April.

I liked the idea of Lake Tahoe, (we are heading to Vegas) but I wasn’t too sure if April would be a good time?

I was also thinking Utah over the resorts in Colorado, simply because I didn’t want to spend too long driving, but I am easily swayed.

Would any Diva’s out there point me to resorts which generally have good skiing in April?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're driving, I would just wait and see who has snow at that point. Tahoe should be fine, but if it isn't, just follow the snow. What are your other plans? (ie, where will you be when you aren't skiing)

Most higher-elevation Colorado resorts will definitely have snow at that point ... often they close in mid-April with the best conditions of the year. Some of the lower-elevation places (Steamboat) close in late March or early April.

It seems that Utah usually has snow then, too. Jackson Hole closes earlier, though.

If you're staying in California, Mammoth is always open late.

abc

Banned
Between Mammoth and the Tahoe resorts, you should have plenty of snow and decent condition.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What part of April? Can be quite a difference from beginning to end of that month. If before end (early to mid), Tahoe should be okay (based on a "normal" snow year). Mammoth is almost always reliable, and not a bad drive from Vegas. Huge, huge place. Usually open through June, into July. Highly recommended. As stated above, I'd wait and see how the snow materializes.
ETA: just read your post again, early April (sorry). I don't think you have to go as far as Utah or Colorado - either Tahoe or Mammoth will be great. You will be surprised at how far and long of a drive Tahoe and Mammoth are from Vegas. Utah? Even longer. Denver would qualify as a flight.

denise_q

Certified Ski Diva
I know it’s a long way away, but I’m really excited. The only thing we are pre-planning is a cruise in the Caribbean (it’s my 30th), so after that we thought we’d do some skiing and do a side trip to Vegas. I just thought it may have been easier to head from Vegas to ski as the airport has connections to everywhere… And I love the fact that the outlets are so close :smile:. We will be bringing our boots but we will be buying new equipment in States. (YAY!), so I’m thinking with the weight and bag restrictions on domestic flights we may be better off driving?? But haven’t ruled out flying. For convenience, I’ll pay for the baggage.

I never considered Mammoth, most people from here seem to head to CO or to Whistler, so thanks for the tips!

Off to goggle and plan elsewhere ;)

abc

Banned
I never considered Mammoth, most people from here seem to head to CO or to Whistler, so thanks for the tips!
In that case, I'd understand.

I say it's because Whistler and Colorado did the best job at marketing. (though to be fair, Whistler and Vail are the top two biggest single resort in N. A., so their bragging right indeed have some base)

But if you're already at Vegas, then Mammonth is pretty much a no-brainer. You get to visit Death Valley as a by-product too. (although for an Assui, perhaps "yet another desert" isn't that high on the agenda...)

And Salt Lake City isn't too much further away in case weather at Mammoth is truely awful (doubt it). There's really not a good reason I can think of to event contemplate going to CO at all.

gravitysfriend

Diva in Training
Snowbird and Alta usually have pretty good cover in April. The Park City resorts (Deer Valley, Park City, the Canyons) are more of a crap shoot -- could be good, could be closing early. It really depends on what kind of snowfall we've gotten, and the Little Cottonwood Cyn resorts usually get the most.

Have fun planning your trip! It's never too early in the year to think about skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga