• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We started watching Longmire on Netflix. I like it better the more I watch it, but we got derailed by The Good Wife. Longmire initially comes across as yet another police procedural, just in the "wild west" - but it's done some really smart and relevant things like addressing difficult political issues with native americans on the reservation. I don't recall how much gore there is. I do find it difficult to believe that this small town in Wyoming has murders every week, and his "taciturn hyper-competent hard man with a heart of gold who refuses to communicate with the people he loves" bit does get a little old.
DH and I watched Longmire for a while too and I completely agree with you. We liked it, but got tired of it after a while. I did love the scenery and want a ranch/cabin in the mountains like his. :smile: Maybe one day lol

Watched the first episode of The X files and we liked it. It seemed like it started just where the other episode left off.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, does anyone else have a binge-watching problem? I work from home, so I can pretty much stay up as late as I want. Some nights I just can't stop. :( With how lame our winter has been, it's gotten pretty bad. lol

Life, with Damian Lewis (who along with Homeland, was also King Henry the 8th in Wolf Hall) is amazing. I was bummed when they cancelled it.

I also just finished The Following with Kevin Bacon, wildly uneven and over the top, but I enjoy watching KB as well as James Purefoy (hubba hubba).
LOVED Frankie and Grace, just a terrific show.
Currently watching Lie to Me. Again, Tim Roth is a delight, but the show is pretty uneven as well.

The Sopranos was transcendent. Best series ever, IMO. Also loved Nurse Jackie--fun to see some of the same actors.

I love the Sopranos. I didn't understand binge watching until recently when we started using Hulu and Netflix streaming. I understand how it happens now. I binge now and again. I worked from home the other day when my Jeep was in the shop and I had a mini bingeathon of Family Ties, still funny in parts..........

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watched the first episode of The X files and we liked it. It seemed like it started just where the other episode left off.

When you say "the other episode" you mean the very last episode from 2002? The series finale (well, I guess it's not the series finale anymore!)?

When you say "the other episode" you mean the very last episode from 2002? The series finale (well, I guess it's not the series finale anymore!)?

Yes I am sorry. That's exactly that I meant. You speak surfsnowgirl obviously :smile:

Just finished the 6 part series of John Le Carre's "The Night Manager" on AMC. Awesome spy thriller, highly recommended.

I'll have to mention this to a friend of mine, this is right up her alley. I put it on my tv list. 2nd season of wayward pines premiers tonight so not having cable I'll have access to it tomorrow. Just started watching the old twin peaks, interesting.

altagirl

Staff member
Just finished the 6 part series of John Le Carre's "The Night Manager" on AMC. Awesome spy thriller, highly recommended.

We've been watching that too. DH is super into it and I missed a couple episodes so I'm a bit lost, but it's good.

alicie

Angel Diva
Never got into the night manager when it was on.

Don't whether it's on anywhere it the us but Line of Duty is good. It's third series finished a few weeks back. The first two are on uk Netflix. It's mainly about an anti corruption unit in the police and investigations, which are sort of linked over the series. It's corruption of the general murder/kidnap/drugs variety.

Christy

Angel Diva
I need something light and fun. Like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmit, which I binge watched and loved. The Mr and I are still working our way through Orange is the New Black S:3 and we're going to start Sherlock, but I need comedy too. I have seen everything Amy Schumer and Chelsea Handler have done, and Aziz Ansari's Master of None was something else I liked a lot. Slightly different (not comedy but not heavy) but I also loved Mind of a Chef. What now?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need something light and fun. Like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmit, which I binge watched and loved. The Mr and I are still working our way through Orange is the New Black S:3 and we're going to start Sherlock, but I need comedy too. I have seen everything Amy Schumer and Chelsea Handler have done, and Aziz Ansari's Master of None was something else I liked a lot. Slightly different (not comedy but not heavy) but I also loved Mind of a Chef. What now?

Have you watched The Mindy Project? I found it hilarious - then again, I was on pain meds through most of it. But still.

I don't think men in general would find it quite as funny, with gags like a guy going to bed with Mindy and finding a stash of candy bars in her bed on the side she doesn't sleep in ... or her ongoing description of herself as a 24 year old, petite woman with "enormous" breasts when she's actually in her mid-30s, curvy plump, and not exactly large breasted ... I don't know, there's something adorably honest about the over the top gags.

"I spend $4 every morning on a bear claw and coffee."
"Mindy - you buy two bear claws every morning."
... conversation continues
"So anyway, Mindy, I brought you a bear claw we can share"
"Oh, thank you! You can have that one - I have two more in my desk drawer"

Maybe it's more "funny to overweight people" than "funny to women" ... anyway ... I found it pretty hilarious. DH found it insufferable.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Foyles War" is a fantastc BBC series; essentially a mystery procedural, but the backdrop is WWII in southern England, which adds a really interesting element. Also, "The Bletchly Circle" is about women codebreakers during WWII; it's a short but great series.
"Death in Paradise" is a light, enjoyable British murder-mystery series that takes place in the Caribbean.

I assume anyone who likes Kimmie Schmidt has already binge-watched "Parks and Rec" and "30 Rock"!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And shout out for Grantchester, a Masterpiece Mystery series. So glad it got renewed for third season.

Christy

Angel Diva
@bounceswoosh I love Mindy Kaling. I actually haven't seen the current season so that's a reminder I need to see what Hulu is about. And you know, rewatching the first season sounds like a good idea. I am hoping the current season doesn't suffer from "Sam and Diane syndrome"--ie now that she and Danny are married (right?) with a baby, that it's not as funny. I found both of her books engaging and funny, too.

I assume anyone who likes Kimmie Schmidt has already binge-watched "Parks and Rec" and "30 Rock"!

On tv rather than binge watched, but yes!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna