• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing and speed

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been playing with my iPhone GPS. My average over 12 days, on a 375' hill, is 38-45 MPH. So far I've hit 50.7 MPH once. That's not racing either, just cruising around on fat skis.

Tahoe Betty

Diva in Training
speed skiing

many years ago there was a speed skiing circut arround. I was clocked at 79 mph, my fastest, but averaged arround high 60s. That was on the course..we would tuck from the top and go even faster. I dont ski that fast now of course. That was in the days of long skis and stiff boards. But it always suprised me that an average firm blue run can bring speeds 20-40 mph.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Volklgirl

Which app are you using?

Do you have 3G signal at your mountain? I know that the GPS works on the iPhone, but you need signal for it to display maps (unless you pay for a Nav App).

Do you know if it will it work without any signal (not even Edge) because AT&T SUCKS at Gore Mountain, NY. If we are lucky, we can send a text from the top of the mountain, but there is no way my iPhone works at Gore. Even Verizon is spotty, but it works better than AT&T.

I have the iPhone 3G, not the 3Gs. I'm waiting for July to get a new one.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Some firm conditions around here, so tomorrow we are taking the Garmin eTrex Legend in the hopes of getting some numbers. Will wax tonight! :wink: But-----not going to ski at any speeds beyond our normal cruising. Just interested in actually seeing what "normal" on firm snow comes out to for us.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a GPS downloaded on my iPhone; after two runs, it said my average speed was 56.7 mph and my top speed was 11.2 mph. Um, sure. (Even if you switched them around, it was wrong.) I think it did have latitude and longitude correct, though.

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be 50 next month, and I'm sure I'm skiing faster this season than any other. It's best I don't know the exact speed, what's left of my common sense might take over...LOL

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
my top speed was 11.2 mph. Um, sure.
Moving right along, eh? :laugh: Hmmmm. I'll be using an altogether separate device - it has had longitude/latitude/elevation pretty okay in the past, but we've never had it track speed. If I come out @ 11 mph tomorrow, I will suspect it's off?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm using Motion X, both the free and the paid version. Compared to my bike computer this summer, it seems to be pretty acurate. It doesn't need cell service as it relies on satelite telemetry unless it can't get a sat signal, then it triangulates from cell towers.

The free version only allows 1 saved track, so you have to delete each track after you "share" it before you can save another one. You need to set up "shares" (mine goes to FB and my e-mail), then you can save the gpx file and upload to Google Maps, the MapMy sites, or where ever. Here's what mine look like: https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/mi/thompsonville/707126316741178492

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a Garmin eTrex Legend - setting it at the top of the mountain is DH's and DS's favorite game. Last trip DS took a reading of one of his runs down a high blue, completely open run - 72 MPH. We had waxed his skis the night before and he was flying! Thankfully he's a double black level skier and totally in control. DH has made 69.9 MPH and is itching to break 70.

I agree with the sentiment that knowing how fast I'm going might be counter-productive! My curiosity may yet get the better of me though.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Volklgirl

I downloaded the MotionX app and will try it next time out. Can't wait.

And if you ever discover a great iPhone app you think I should try, PM me, please.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We took out a radar gun one day years ago. I didn't participate because the light was flat and I was recovering from knee surgery to boot, so I just measured everyone elses speed.

My husband was 72mph and one of our friends was 74mph.

Eeck - this is scary!!

Were the guys doing some racing down a course, practising? Or were they just free ski-ing?

I've hit 40mph+ coming down a hill on a mountain bike which felt fine. I'm sure I'm probably doing comparable speeds on skis at times, if not more. Scary!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'll be 50 next month, and I'm sure I'm skiing faster this season than any other. It's best I don't know the exact speed, what's left of my common sense might take over...LOL

Understand the feeling. I'm a few years older. Using my first pair of purchased good skis this season. With the unusually great conditions in the southeast, I'm going a lot faster and longer without stopping than ever before . . . and I like it! :thumbsup:

altagirl

Staff member
Eeck - this is scary!!

Were the guys doing some racing down a course, practising? Or were they just free ski-ing?

I've hit 40mph+ coming down a hill on a mountain bike which felt fine. I'm sure I'm probably doing comparable speeds on skis at times, if not more. Scary!!

Just freeskiing. And the fastest guy was on floppy old Pocket Rockets. Watching the tips flap around while he went flying by was scarier than anything!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just a good old blue run boogie today, nothing I thought was clock-worthy:
43.7 mph.
:eek:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member