• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nearly time again!!

weasy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Guys (sorry gals :smile:))

I keep getting a message telling me to join in again and, surprisingly to me, I will!!!

I moved to Utah a year ago this week at the age of 48 having only skiied a disasterous (sp) day and a half 23 years before. I was scared and thought I'd hate skiing but the rest of my family wanted to do it and I thought I'd go crazy if I lived through a Park City winter and didn't 'give it a go'. Well I loved cross country from the get go but surprisingly to me I also learnt to enjoy downhill!!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm still scared but less so. I have managed to conquer the chair lift fear and gain a little speed on greens but that's it.

The thing is I now can't wait to get back out there!!! How did this happen? I've managed to get myself a sesion in a ski studio in Park City and I plan on a couple more lessons too so hopefully blue slopes here I come!

My question is, I bought cheap skis from levelnine last year and they are Head Light Thangs - 147cm. I know they are far too short for me at 5' 6" and 170lbs but I rented a pair of 156cm skis (I think) and had an awful day! The good thing is I have a two daughters who can inherit those skis. I like the Head skis but do feel I can move on a little so any recommendations?

Nice to be back - can't wait for the snow and will be getting my early season ski pass!

Louise

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So you've been bitten by the ski bug :becky: ? Good thing: It'd be a shame to have moved to Utah and let all those wonderful mountains go to waste!

What skis did you try? It may not be the length, but the ski you were on. Different skis have different feels, and the one you tried may not have been right for you.

Heads are great skis. You might want to try the Cool One or the Only One. Other good intermediate skis: the Atomic Cloud 7, the Elan Black Magic, the Fisher Koa 75, and the Blizzard Magum Viva 74.

BTW, how are your boots? The mantra here is boots first. They can make a huge difference in the way you ski.

weasy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes I have haven't I!!! :laugh:

I have Head Dream Thang boots that I find supremely comfortable. I will, however, be taking my boots to the ski studio to see what the guy reckons there as apparantly he assesses your boots during the session.

Thanks for the tips on the skis, I'll have a look at them.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
welcome, to Utah and back to skidiva. It sounds like you are on the right track with comfortable boots and skis that are helping you build confidence and progress. I wouldn't be in a hurry to just go out and buy a pair of skis, especially if things are on track as they seem to be. Instead, I would start the season with your Heads (early season snow is sketchy and most of us out here use our beater/old skis at first---ones we don't care about when we scrape some rocks). Use the Heads to get your ski mojo back---early season, it's not about performance, just getting the body and brain to remember how to ski.

Once the season and snow are in full swing, then start demoing to test what you like and don't like for your ski upgrade.

weasy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for that. I was planning on skiing the first couple of times on the Heads but was thinking of planning ahead so I could pass them onto my very tall 12 year old. If I don't do that then I'll have to get her some or rent again for her........

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Weasy,

I didn't take up skiing seriously until I was in my 40s. GO FOR IT!!!

I've become a pretty good skier, and I can't think of anything I'd rather do with my winter playtime!

Hey Weasy, another '59er! I'm turning 50 on 9/26/09, and I started skiing at age 45 and I'm totally hooked. I'm heading to Snowbird to do some skiing in early March '10, my first time to Utah.

:ski:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga