• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Input for blog post on the pros & cons of instructing

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Is there much difference between older and younger male instructors in terms of how they seem to view female instructors?

Depends how we define older and younger. :wink:

Actually, I don't think I've noticed a difference between those in their 30s and 40s vs. those who are 50 and above.

I haven't interacted as much with the younger college age guys because most of them work on the children's side and I almost exclusively teach adults. The little bit I've seen - the young guys seem equally receptive to male and female clinicians.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This is all great stuff. Thanks! It's going to be hard to decide what to put in and what to leave out...

Anyone else have anything they'd like to add?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Like others, I learned a ton, both from the actual teaching and the fabulous clinics the CSIA offers. I have friends who have become certified but don't teach at all - they just want the excellent instruction available.

In the "things you don't want to happen" category is something that happened my very first day of teaching for the adult ski school I worked for for many years. This was a beginner group but able to do down a fairly long green run. First run down, we were all stopping at the side of the hill and I had evidently forgotten (hey, I was nervous!) to spell out the procedure for stopping. There most of them were, neatly lined up, when one came down, neglected to stop in time and ran into the neatly-lined-up people, taking most of them out like dominoes. Of course, after that I always reminded them to stop BELOW the group. Fortunately, no one was hurt - thank goodness for helmets as I recall one of them ended up sitting on someone else's head!!

powderfan

Certified Ski Diva
This is funny and true, for many days in the skischool. Luckily there are enough days like the picture above,right and below, left to make me love instructing.

My son, 15, who will start his instructing course next may, laughed his head off, and still wants to become an instructor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga