• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Ideas for a Student Ski Club?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I work at a high school that has something of a ski club; here in PA "ski club" means that on Friday night, a group of kids gets dropped off at the mountain and ski on their own until they feel like calling it a night. The adults in charge generally ski on their own for a while and then hang out in the lodge until the kids are done. (Yeah: don't ski in PA on Friday nights).

They do this in our middle school, too, so our HS club is pretty small since kids who can drive can get to the mountain on their own, and anything that smacks of middle school tends to be avoided once they move up to HS; they also have more going on outside of school, too.

One of the ski-club kids in in my class this year, and we've been chatting informally about skiing. It's become evident that the Friday-night free-ski is fine, but the kids would be interested in something more--some structure to the trips, maybe instruction (particularly in the terrain park), and maybe (I'm extrapolating here) more of a sense of the club as a group that actually does things together. (we have an outing club that has a strong sense of identity, for example, and I think they want more of that and less of an individualistic free-for-all.

I'm very friendly with the woman who runs the ski club and I passed the kids' comments on to her and said I'd be happy to help out with driving and logistics if she wanted to switch up the club's routine. We brainstormed a bit on how to tinker with the club model, but there are some tricky issues. First, some kids board and some ski--not sure if hiring one instructor would work. We don't have anyone on our staff that could provide light coaching or instruction (and that's probably not ok with the resort, anyway).

My thought is to sort of add a little something to each week's trip (jumping instruction, skill drills, gate-running clinic, etc). So there would be skill-building in the first half of the evening, then free skiing. It would be nice if there were, say, one or two instructors that the kids could develop a relationship with and have fun and get inspired to improve and try new things. And of course, there's the fee for all of this.

The outing club kids actually get PE credit during their season, so that might be an option as well, though we'd have to go out more than once a week.

So that's where we are at the moment. A bit stuck. I thought I'd reach out and see if you all have any ideas on how we might go forward?

Thanks so much for your help.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to run a ski club for kids 9-18 out of Cincinnati. Ours was not a school activity, rather a private club. We ran weekend-long bus trips to Blue Mountain (Ontario), Holiday Valley, and Boyne(s)/Nubs. If you ever need any information about how we structured this, let me know.

We did offer instruction for newbies on the first day but after that, they wanted to be with their peers.

We did have the NASTAR course set up for us and everyone seemed to enjoy that.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First, some kids board and some ski--not sure if hiring one instructor would work.

How many kids? I'm not sure hiring one instructor for 15 kids would be great value, anyway, even if they all boarded or all skied.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you tried calling the ski area to find out what they will do for groups like yours? Usually they are pretty accommodating. They can also tell you what kids will need (helmets, signed releases, etc.) for the terrain park. They may have people on staff who reach terrain park, and/or can structure a lesson around terrain park prep. (Side slipping, small jumps, absorbing bumps, 360's, etc.)

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi @SallyCat - my DS is part of his middle school ski club, and it's connected to the high school ski club at the high school next door. They've worked out a deal with the local ski hill for several full ski days throughout the season. They basically have ski club kids sign up, but to make sure there are sufficient numbers, they also open up the trip to other kids at the school - for some, it's an introduction to skiing, and it's helped ski club numbers grow too. Depending on the numbers they get, the ski hill gives certain numbers of instructors to the students. I think right now it's about 1 instructor per 8 students. And because there are usually around 20-30 students who go, they can usually accommodate both snowboarders and skiers. When they get there, they divide them up amongst skiers and snowboarders and do a 'ski-off' then divide them into their levels. They spend half the day (2 hours) in lessons, then have lunch - the hill has a small onsite buffet restaurant) and then freeski in the afternoon (3 hours) I think. They've done an amazing job at really getting good prices, and they give a discount on rentals if anyone needs it to. There's also a few parent volunteers around too just in case - I've volunteered for them, and I'm really impressed with the organization. I guess, I would say go talk to your local hill and see what they can offer -I'm sure they will have suggestions for a full day program.

The other thing his ski club does is a once a season overnight trip to the mountains. Would this be a possibility for you guys to do? An overnight trip to a bigger hill? The school ski club partners with a local bus tour company that arranges buses, 2 nights hotel and lift tickets for a very good price. Parents also do the volunteer supervision for this trip. I know the logistics of this area little bigger, but maybe this could be a possibility?

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before I changed schools I ran a ski club at the private (day) school I worked at. Our club was exclusively weekend trips. We tried a Friday night trip at a place that does late night Friday skiing but getting there with traffic on a Friday was crazy. Anyway! If possible, I agree a Saturday day trip (leave kids Sunday to do homework) or an overnight is the way to go. Also what about hosting a movie afternoon at school to watch ski movies at the start of the season to get kids excited?
Or I just had an interesting thought...could you talk to the ski school about offering an apprentice instructor program? So the high schoolers that have been participating for a long time get an opportunity to get some instruction themselves and then either get volunteer credit or earn some extra cash?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Albertan ski girl That sounds like an amazing program; thanks so much! Yes, I would definitely like to do either a weekend trip or at least a couple of Saturdays. I really like the idea of morning lessons and afternoon free ski. Someplace like Elk or Plattkill would be easily do-able and get us away from the Poconos/NYC crowds, and create more of a collective experience.

@marymack I love the idea of a movie! I've been thinking about that a lot, and I'm going to see if we can make it work.

I think our photography program has a GoPro, too, so maybe putting together a cool video of the kids would be fun as well.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Weekday ski outings with a weekend trip is a good motivator for students to join the group.

If you need a weekend trip idea, think Gore Mountain, NY. Lehigh Valley is about 4.5 hours away. There is a water park hotel in Queensbury, NY that my friends have used. Six Flags/Great Escape Lodge. If you put 4 to a room, it is economical. There are many moderately priced restaurants in the area, as well. From the lodge to the mountain is about 35 minutes. If you need a local resource person, I would be happy to help you.

Or maybe Whiteface with a trip to Lake Placid Olympic venues. Or combine them both for a long weekend. From that hotel, it is 1.5 hours to Lake Placid Village. Lake Placid has some interesting Team Building activities available - modified biathlon competitions, luge, etc.

These destinations are close enough to be affordable but far enough to be really special, if you choose to do overnights.

The possibilities are endless.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Montage offers an awesome discount for ski clubs. Give them a call! Camelback and Blue Mountain may offer something similar. You may be able to secure a school bus for the trip if it's on the weekend.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montage! I'll check them out, thanks!
Camelback is where the club goes on Friday nights. I love Blue (and am a season passholder there) but daaaaaaaaang does t get crowded. I actually worry about the crowds being a safety hazard, especially for kids who can be a bit inattentive. Maybe we can arrange something on a weeknight evening, though.
Thanks again!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You may be able to secure a school bus for the trip if it's on the weekend.
We always used a charter bus for our ski club. School busses are uncomfortable for long trips (no bathroom) and luggage/ski storage is a problem. You must not block the emergency door with baggage and the skis/poles must be secured in the event of an accident to prevent them from become projectiles. A trailer or truck would be a possible solution.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Montage is 1.5 hours for us. Probably closer for SallyCat. Expense-wise, school buses were the better option for us. I think there was a nominal fee to join the club, as well as two fundraisers, just to pay for the bus every week. Lift tickets were crazy low.

adriennemaria

Diva in Training
Howdy! I'm a high school teacher in an inner city and would LOVE to start a ski club...someday!

It might be hard to corral all the kids on the mountain, but like others have said, they can do things after school to sort of build camaraderie and feel like a club!

-Perhaps a ski fashion show before the season with snacks so people can show off if they have any cool jackets/goggles/gear etc? Just a way to get hyped! (and perhaps a gear swap for kids who are growing out of things/bored of what they have been wearing)
-bake sales/fundraisers to raise money for an overnight
-trip write ups for the school paper
-if there are only about 10 kids, giving everyone a certificate of excellence at the end of the year (most improved, safest on the mountain, best attitude, etc) and have a little ceremony again with food, lol!
-make a scrap book at the end with photos and trail maps and lift tickets.
-maybe a "professional development" day where you bring the kids to the mountain during the day midweek ;)

Not sure if you do any of those things already!
I often find that kids just love spending time together, even if it is for random things, with their faculty advisers and always love reporting "omg remember the bake sale and bla bla bla".

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, man, I LOVE the idea of a "professional development" day on the mountain!
Those are great ideas, thanks!
I just bought an inexpensive action camera (a "FauxPro"?) and thought it would be fun to let the kids use it to film and edit a cool video that they could present at the end of the season.
And I agree, in my experience with outing clubs, kids really do just love hanging out with each other and playing outside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga