• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help with AT boot fit!

alexashreds

Certified Ski Diva
I'm in a Scott Celeste II that I bought in 2016. My dress shoe size is a 6.5D, running shoe a 7.5D, and the ski boot is a 23. From what you write, it sounds like you need a wider boot, not a longer boot.
Agreed! I did a 7 hour tour in my new Salomon boots and my feet survived relatively unscathed. But I'm going to visit a bootfitter as soon as I can fit it into my life. Either to sort out my current boots or get into something appropriate for my foot. I'll probably go to Nick's in VT so that's like a 6 hour drive. I envy all those folks who live close to the mountains.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Fascinating. My feet are narrow, have small ankles, and I have high arches. I have such a different experience in the scarpa boots but I also have the scarpa gea (not RS) from 2018 and I have since updated the liner and the footbed — I also own the scarpa f1 gt — and I have the opposite problem, it still had too much space in it and I had to fill it up. Yes I got heel lifts as well as the tongue neoprene, but I also got additional compression in the toe box bc my feet just moved around too much in them. It’s not pleasant to tour but I get used to it, and then on the downhill they are chef’s kiss. I have taken it back to my bootfitter about 4 times. Once with the old liners and 3 times for the new liners. I do think touring boots are more finicky. Also I think feet change over time. It’s such a PITA

alexashreds

Certified Ski Diva
Fascinating. My feet are narrow, have small ankles, and I have high arches. I have such a different experience in the scarpa boots but I also have the scarpa gea (not RS) from 2018 and I have since updated the liner and the footbed — I also own the scarpa f1 gt — and I have the opposite problem, it still had too much space in it and I had to fill it up. Yes I got heel lifts as well as the tongue neoprene, but I also got additional compression in the toe box bc my feet just moved around too much in them. It’s not pleasant to tour but I get used to it, and then on the downhill they are chef’s kiss. I have taken it back to my bootfitter about 4 times. Once with the old liners and 3 times for the new liners. I do think touring boots are more finicky. Also I think feet change over time. It’s such a PITA
I would definitely agree! 6 of us skied up the Whiteface Mt. toll road over the weekend. A mixture of newbies (me) and guys who go a lot. Everyone had some sort of boot issue. Luckily my feet survived relatively unscathed (just some hot spots) in my new boots after 7 or so hours.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
I too have very narrow feet with almost non existent arches. My AT boots are also my resort boots. I worked with a boot fitter in park city and he basically told me not to heat mold the liners if I was also using them to tour. The boots had a good fit to start with and he did some work on rub spots by working on the shells. Plus he got me using correct foot beds to support the arches and correct my pronation. I don't think salespeople make good boot fitters.... go to a pro and see what they can fix. They are in the business of fitting not selling a product. My AT boots are the best boots I've ever skied in and working with a fitting pro made the difference.
What boots are you in?

Electricwoman

Diva in Training
Before even choosing my most recent ski boot, I made an online appointment with master bootfitter Tom James in Vancouver B.C. https://www.thebootmechanic.com/

He uses pictures and measurements taken according to his online instructions to make a brand/model recommendation. The initial recommendation is refined during a Zoom appointment. Once I purchased the recommended boot, K2 Diverge, I drove 3 hours from my home in WA state to his 'lab' in the Intuition building (he's a former employee). The fitting took 3 hours because it included customizing new insoles to fit my narrow heel high-arch feet with bunions, as well as a (free) re-mold of the Intuition liners in my 2014 Scarpa Geas. He did such a great job with the Geas, originally, that I only needed a refit because my body had changed. Intuition liners, which I believe Scarpa still uses, can be re-heat molded several times.

Incidentally, the K2 Diverge boots are perfect as I'm demoing new inbound skis, and my feet are very happy. I've learned the hard way that a master boot fitter is the place to start, before purchasing anything.

I'm grateful a ski buddy told me about Tom years ago. In addition to his expertise he is also patient and kind. Hope this helps someone.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have any advice, but am open to suggestions.

I have tried three types of b/c boots. I now have Arctryx. No matter the boot, no matter how great the fit, no matter how comfortable they feel---I get blisters from the uphill trek after about the first hour or two. The scars where these hot spots are visible from repeated blistering (which is painful the week or two after a ski).

I've tried everything I can think of. My Ski Mo friend told me she always gets early-season blisters that eventually callous up (but I don't go that much). I follow her advice---I use duct tape under and over my socks where the blisters happen. Weird, but it mostly works.

Electricwoman

Diva in Training
Apply the tape directly to the skin over the area that regularly blisters. I've used this trick for every activity where the boot or hiking shoe causes a blister after hours on the uphill.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't have any advice, but am open to suggestions.

I have tried three types of b/c boots. I now have Arctryx. No matter the boot, no matter how great the fit, no matter how comfortable they feel---I get blisters from the uphill trek after about the first hour or two. The scars where these hot spots are visible from repeated blistering (which is painful the week or two after a ski).

I've tried everything I can think of. My Ski Mo friend told me she always gets early-season blisters that eventually callous up (but I don't go that much). I follow her advice---I use duct tape under and over my socks where the blisters happen. Weird, but it mostly works.
I used Leukotape on my heels, then put on knee high nylons, and then my regular ski socks. Seems that the slippery nylons make it so the heels don’t get rubbed/friction and bye bye blisters. I had a major issue with blisters before and was desperate to find a solution when I was doing my AIARE 1 class a few years ago.. this worked like a charm. Two days of skinning and skiing Mount Washington, not only were my feet super comfy the whole time but not even the hint of a blister.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used Leukotape on my heels, then put on knee high nylons, and then my regular ski socks. Seems that the slippery nylons make it so the heels don’t get rubbed/friction and bye bye blisters. I had a major issue with blisters before and was desperate to find a solution when I was doing my AIARE 1 class a few years ago.. this worked like a charm. Two days of skinning and skiing Mount Washington, not only were my feet super comfy the whole time but not even the hint of a blister.
thanks! I will try this on our annual trek to Preston Peak (11,000 plus elevation above Crest Lift at Brighton Utah) for my brothers birthday bash. It's after the resort is closed and usually after late-season snow--so fresh tracks all the way down!. But blisters are the price, as I don't go b/c enough to callous the hot spots.

(I've tried double socks, moleskin, boot fitting, duct tape--the painful best solution so far). this will be great.

MissySki

Angel Diva
thanks! I will try this on our annual trek to Preston Peak (11,000 plus elevation above Crest Lift at Brighton Utah) for my brothers birthday bash. It's after the resort is closed and usually after late-season snow--so fresh tracks all the way down!. But blisters are the price, as I don't go b/c enough to callous the hot spots.

(I've tried double socks, moleskin, boot fitting, duct tape--the painful best solution so far). this will be great.
Fingers crossed that it might help!! Let us know how it goes, hope you can keep happier feet than usual on your trek. Blisters are the worst!

I forgot to mention, but I believe I also brushed on some liquid bandage as a first step as well.. but I can't really say if that did anything overall versus the rest of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga