• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. heather matthews

Photo of the day

These are down in Queenstown at mini dream and Camp saddle in the Craigieburns-I've been commuting a lot!!!!
  2. heather matthews

Photo of the day

Whilst I'm looking forward to our ski season starting here in NZ the biking this year has been nothing short of phenomenal.
  3. heather matthews

How are you exercising right now?

Even though we have been in lockdown for the past four weeks we are permitted to exercise locally and as I live on the Port Hills in Christchurch my nearly daily routine has involved climbing up one of several different ways to access our network of dh mountain bike trails.Its been fun but a...
  4. heather matthews

New Zealand not giving up on 2020 season, Bridget Legnavsky GM of Cardrona & Treble Cone

As a New Zealander I've been so proud of what we have achieved so far but it's only just the beginning.Of course I hope to be able to ski but if it doesn't happen then that's ok. Currently we don't have community transmission(we think) and that's a great place to be but everyone knows it can all...
  5. heather matthews

2019 Summer biking goals

My thumb was ready though our ski season has been a bit average my biking season has been awesome-my jumping has improved so much and I've been 'sending' big gaps and features I never thought possible a year ago!!
  6. heather matthews

2019 Summer biking goals

My "biking goal" is for my thumb, which I fractured riding park two weeks ago on my d/h bike , to be better in time for our ski season which starts mid June.
  7. heather matthews

How cold is too cold to ski?

I'm from the land of celsius so had to convert. There's some skiing going on in seriously cold weather here!!!The coldest I've skied was -35 C(-31F) on a glacier in France about 10 years ago.Never ever again.I'm sure I remember the snow being sticky-we lasted a couple of runs and then went down...
  8. heather matthews

Do you wear matching ski jacket and pants?

Co-ordinated(or at least i think it is).If I wear my slate grey jacket then I would never wear white pants with it-its my pink ones.Being tall there arent that many manufacturers that cater for me so I just have to do the best I can.Also I really think that if you wear good looking clothes...
  9. heather matthews

What are Divas reading?

I've just finished Dead Men's Trousers by Irvine Welsh-gritty,ugly,violent with a grim cast of characters(all the usual suspects from Trainspotting).Welsh writes women quite poorly and their roles are generally quite peripheral.Despite my painting it to be worth a miss it's a page turner and I...
  10. heather matthews

I'm such a Jacket Slut!

This past season(I'm in NZ) for the first time in years I didn't buy any, ski gear at all-no jacket,pants,skis,gloves,bindings,socks,goggles.Nothing.It felt sort of saintly!! For the biking season I'm going to try the same(apart from replacing properly broken and worn out bits)
  11. heather matthews

Things every woman skier should know

You WILL be faster,more stylish,technically more competent than lots of guys and some of them(not many) won't like it.It's their problem not yours.I mention this against the background of mountainbiking and more frequent experiences of guys being surprised and behaving a bit badly.Also 110% with...
  12. heather matthews

How bad is the jonesing?

Haha,I get to be 180 degrees out of sync living in the southern hemisphere.It's snowing in the mountains now and Tues/Weds will be a (heavily wind affected) powder day so it's all good here.The season has a mere six weeks left and then it will the long wait until February and France! At least...
  13. heather matthews

Powder names its best women's skis of the year

Just to put it out there for taller,heavier,more aggressive skiers then I think the Nordica Enforcer 100 is worth a look.I've skied on these for the last two seasons here in NZ and they fit the bill as a do it all ski for the conditions we generally get here.Wind affected,heavy snow,wet snow and...
  14. heather matthews

Applying lessons learnt from skiing to the bike

I'm sorry too for getting the wrong end of the stick. Being originally from the UK, sarcasm is sort of ingrained into our bones and sometimes we see it where it actually isn't. When I first moved to NZ I had to relearn humour and banter too. We use the same words but don't speak the same...
  15. heather matthews

I was I was just trying to illustrate a different technique not teach you to suck eggs. Plenty of times I've seen riders slide out when traversing on slopes that are wet and rooty. I've done it heaps myself so thought it was worth mentioning!!!
  16. heather matthews

Traversing off camber wet rooty trails involves tipping the bike away from the slope to maximise the contact patch but having your weight on the slopeside pedal and that pedal not necessarily being all the way down so as to avoid pedal strikes. Your centre of mass is over the contact point and...
  17. heather matthews

There is fair a bit of crossover between MTB(downhill especially) and skiing.I've been riding a lot of park with lots of jumps drops shorter and longer bermed corners and the constant dynamic flow does require a similar focus to skiing.The fitness and strength gained from one really seem to help...
  18. heather matthews

Do you know The Secret?

I tried the Mantra a few years ago(before they got rocker) and hated it so much.Sure,it was sort of a blast on piste doing dig GS turns and charged through chundery crud but it was so dead feeling.Maybe if I skied the same ski now I might have a different opinion as I've improved a fair...
  19. heather matthews

What are your goals for the 2017/2018 season?

Well I didn't get to ski the NH( this year due to insurance issues after breaking myself in September) so my skiing goals got turned into biking goals. My jumping has improved so much and clearing small(6-8 feet) gap jumps that have consequences for coming up short is now a regular reality.My...
  20. heather matthews

What are Divas reading?

I'm loving All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr.So far it's beautiful, tragic, sad and Ive become really invested in the characters. Its a biggish book but the chapters are short so recapping when you fall asleep reading is easy!!