• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. water.rat

Affordable ski towns

I'm late to the party and didn't have time to read all 10 pages so forgive me if these have been brought up already: Bear Valley - small resort with lots of different terrain but not upscale at all. There is tiny Bear Valley Village or one of the towns that get progressively larger as you go...
  2. water.rat

Help Needed: Return to skiing after injury

I started skiing at the beginning of this year after a knee injury last Feb. Followed a similar path to others re: PT, training, etc. I.e. Picked an ortho surgeon who was a skier and a sports oriented rehab clinic. Got a PT who was sympathetic to my goal of returning to skiing asap, gave me ski...
  3. water.rat

Where do you usually ski?

Did i do it right?!?
  4. water.rat

Where do you usually ski?

Europe, South America, Middle East, Asia, Japan, Australia, New Zealand: SkiGAP: Grandvalira (Andorra), or (Andorra, France, Spain) within 2.5 hours. Kirstie: Perisher/Thredbo Australia fgor: Mt Hutt/Canterbury, New Zealand Canada: East & West: Kiki: Whistler/Blackcomb, Cypress, Seymour...
  5. water.rat

Boo! I ruined my custom insoles

I had a pair of custom insoles rewarmed and refitted. Hope your shop can do that for you!
  6. water.rat

Carrying ALL.THE.STUFF.

Splurged on one of these boot/gear packs years ago and have never looked back. Fits everything including lunch. Kids all had their own back packs. Had a set of these ties for each pair of skis: lock the skis together like normal, lay the poles along side and twist tie together at tips and tails...
  7. water.rat

Seeking respite from chilly hands and feet!

My daughter swears by cayenne in her socks. She is pretty sure she has Raynauds. I'm going to try it next time I go out.
  8. water.rat

Tips for adults skiing with little kids

Not sure how old your kids are. Maybe old enough to watch a fun skiing video together and then watch some footage of themselves. My guess is a child who is old enough would see the difference right away.
  9. water.rat

2 adults is best for sure... but there can be multiple children between the 2 adults. Another mom and I used to take turns being the "engine" and the "caboose" with our younger kids in a train following the engine down the hill. The caboose's job was to clean up yard sales. The engine stopped...
  10. water.rat

In case someone didn't already mention... our handiest ski accessory when the kids were young was a storage tub of extra everything: coats, pants, socks, mitts, googles, etc. Both for days when someone got soaked, or lost a mitt, but also when someone wasn't paying attention at mom's drill...
  11. water.rat

How to tell the difference between an east coast skier and a west coast skier

I'm not good at powder either. Just like I think in most folks minds, "west" means Rockies, Sierra Nevadas, etc. But the Cascade ranges tend to wetter, heavier snow. We get big dumps but true powder is more rare. The likelihood of an epic powder day falling on a day I can get away to ski...
  12. water.rat

Ski Resorts That Allow RV Parking

Mt Hood Meadows offers a few short term overnight parking spots in Sunrise for fully contained units (has to have a bathroom). It's free and first come first served so plan on going early to snag one. Max stay is 3 or 4 nights, I think. Register when you arrive to get the tag for your dashboard...
  13. water.rat

How to tell the difference between an east coast skier and a west coast skier

Never lived on the east coast, but growing up in Alberta no weather closed anything. Ever. (See middle column below). Here in Portland, if there is even a possibility of a snowflake in town, school and businesses preemptively close. Gives me a good chuckle most every year. I'm thinking the...
  14. water.rat

Favorite Base Layers, Go...

I guess my experience is unique. Had several pairs. Heels wore thin, then the big toes got holes. And that's without using the dryer. Have other daily socks in the 8 to 10 year old range, but none of them are smartwools. Glad others had better luck!! Might give 'em another try.
  15. water.rat

Anyone else in the PNW starting to worry about this season?

Is your area listed in this article? https://snowbrains.com/top-10-snowfall-averages-in-north-america/ The Meadows blog has some other links, but a quick read did not reveal where they got their stats from. My guess is they compiled themselves, using their own and other resources.
  16. water.rat

Anyone else in the PNW starting to worry about this season?

Meadows posted this recently: https://www.skihood.com/about-us/meadows-blog/posts/2021/11/historical-season-openings-since-the-9495-season Of course they are going to try to put the best face on it they can since they were part of the jinxing. But the stats are pretty straightforward. So I tend...
  17. water.rat

Favorite Base Layers, Go...

Here ya go... https://www.nextadventure.net/wilderness-technology-womens-merino-baselayer-shirt.html Just scored one on Black Friday and it looks like it is still on sale. Wanted to wash it and wear it so I could report on the itch factor. Seems just as comfy as my Icebreakers. Wont be able to...
  18. water.rat

Returning to the slopes post knee injury - any advice?

My total gear nerd SIL said they were the safest for knees and then explained some technical stuff I did not retain. He's very opinionated, so take that into consideration. But he and DD also research the heck out of anything they are interested in and skiing is one of their main passions so I...
  19. water.rat

That's a great recommendation - love the "forgiving and confidence inspiring" part! Now we just need to add snow for the fun part ;-) That's inspiring, too. I think part of what I am going to have to work on, in addition to facing the fear, is adjusting expectations to reality, instead of my...
  20. water.rat

Found it! "A Conversation with Fear" Next stop.... Amazon ;-)