• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Gloria

Another heel lift question.. is this obscenely big??

I understand the point and I think it’s cool they are thinking this way. As someone who has competed in both sports, coached for and is coached by some of the best in the biz in both sports - I think the use of heel lifts is respective to both sports though. The only similarity is in...
  2. Gloria

If they are using squats and heel lifts I think they will find out what weightlifters already know. The raised heel Olympic squat is always a more quad dominant squat no matter the proportions of who is squatting and the powerlifting squat using flat shoes and less upright torso is a more...
  3. Gloria

Clothes for big glutes and smaller waist

I’m so glad you found a pair of pants you like!!
  4. Gloria

Shoulder Impingement...does it ever really recover?

I would suspect one of these to be true, either an injury or poor mechanics. From my experience shoulder impingement rehab typically involves some type of horizontal pressing in prone format to help stabilize the scapula and push the ball of the shoulder farther back into the socket where it...
  5. Gloria

That’s exactly it! If you look at Olympic weightlifters they all wear weightlifting shoes with a raised heel. Those with longer femurs have a closed knee position with a more horizontal femur that travels farther over the toe and more shin angle. Those with shorter femurs and longer torso...
  6. Gloria

Anthropometry in squatting isn’t all that applicable to skiing. In squatting you are trying to keep the barbell over the mid-foot in skiing you are trying to stack the joints. Adding a heel lift or squatting in weightlifting shoes simply allows a lifter to maintain a more upright torso whilst...
  7. Gloria

Shoulder Impingement...does it ever really recover?

Did you do anything to your shoulder -like fall on it - or is it purely from your workouts? If it’s purely from working out you probably still need to work on strengthening the muscles in your back that stabilize the scapula. If planks are hurting you may need to go back to your PT and have...
  8. Gloria

Important muscles to use when skiing?

He’s probably just getting into shape in terms of strength for skiing. Running Simply isn’t a strength exercise and the muscles are used differently during skiing. Distance running uses a lot of slow twitch fiber where skiing incorporates more fast twitch.
  9. Gloria

So, are my quads supposed to be getting tired and sore?

I’m having a hard time finding anything universal that you can do at home but this is a simple test/exercise that you can do at home both to see and use to retrain movement. Basically it’s a step up - you can use a lower box or even a bottom step. Put one foot up on the stair with your shin...
  10. Gloria

So, are my quads supposed to be getting tired and sore?

In strength training we work off percentages ie: your front squat should be within a certain percentage of your back squat and your back squat should be a certain percentage of your deadlift etc. this doesn’t necessarily measure which muscle is actually THE strongest but ferrets out imbalances...
  11. Gloria

@emmthorpedo both, lol. My rear ended no longer fits into my old pants and they have a wider leg than the one I looked at in the store recently. The new ones are a skinny leg style. They wouldn’t fit me but may fit you. I have on numerous occasions, I have fit issues with jackets as well...
  12. Gloria

The flylow for sure. DD has a different model and I tried hers on last night and they were awesome too. She has a super tiny waist and big hips, not necessarily large glutes but has similiar issues and can very comfortably cinch the waist up. The burtons are tighter in the butt now and I’m...
  13. Gloria

I have had luck with these too. This year they feel too tight in the rear though after some positive body composition changes - more muscle less fat. I love these pants though, I paid nearly nothing for them and they have held up far longer and better than some very expensive techy brands I...
  14. Gloria

Yes that is what I have. Best pants hands down for big quads and flutes. Waist is fairly straight but has adjustments on outside to snug it up. Easy to get on too, I was trying on different brands the other day and getting them over my legs was hard. They are a simple shell so not warm but...
  15. Gloria

How long do you stay sore for after a workout?

This would be applicable to bodypart split style training where the goal is to fatigue specific muscles individually for hypertrophy like in bodybuilding. Flyers and bicep curls to failure would be an example. Multi-limb strength training using larger muscle groups such as squats can be done...
  16. Gloria

How long do you stay sore for after a workout?

What you are experiencing is delayed onset muscle soreness or simply DOMS. It occurs after either the increase in intensity of excercises that you are already doing or the introduction of new exercise. The cause is unknown - some studies suggest it can be caused by the combination of 3...
  17. Gloria

What do you think of this commercial?

It’s not bad. I think their point was to let people know they wont be intimidated by brobrah language shopping there. And that it’s okay to be a beginner or a female shopper. They won’t judge you. I also didn’t think the one female was being portrayed as an expert so much as an annoying...
  18. Gloria

Question: What is a good roller for IT Band?

The IT band IS a very problematic yet widely misunderstood body part. It’s basically a very large fibrous chunk of connective tissue that is believed to be strong enough to suspend a car. In reality it takes 2,000 pounds of pressure per square inch to create any mechanical change, it is also...
  19. Gloria

Getting fit for the season

You are doing great! Having a goal like 10k steps per day plus your consistency is huge. I would rate that far better than simply going to the gym everyday without a definitive goal and simply doing whatever exercise comes to mind. If what you are doing works for you, keep doing it. Once...
  20. Gloria

Returning to [insert activity here] after injury

I would look into a program like @geargrrl is doing. You want to find something that is part true strength training and part conditioning. I would avoid that which combines the two ie: simple circuit type training with weights. Basically you want a program that separates the two so you are...