• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Magnatude

Certification

Ah that makes sense! Yes, back when I did the L1, the testing/assessments were done on the last two days, with the first 3 being training. It may have changed a bit since then, but it is still over the 5 days. The written/analysis part (online) is done outside of those days. Only our L3 (and...
  2. Magnatude

Certification

Well done! Best skiing thing I ever did, plus managed to talk my husband and youngest child into doing it too. Jeez, though, our course in NZ was 5 days, not 2! Was gruelling, though totally worth it. Eventually decided to put it to use (having never intended to actually teach, lol) and taught...
  3. Magnatude

Tignes/Val d'Isère

Are you staying in Tignes or Val d'Isere? When I lived there, I was in Tignes, but on our more recent holiday we opted for Val d'Isere.
  4. Magnatude

Tignes/Val d'Isère

I worked there for the season in 1987!! But we went back for two weeks in 2019, so fairly recently. Snow cover was pretty thin and hard for our first few days there, but then it snowed, and it was great. Huge area/terrain, some really challenging skiing if you want it, lovely town (Val d'Isere...
  5. Magnatude

Sofa ski camp NZ 2024

I'm possibly interested in that course too, if it eventuates. What's his training/instructing background? Eg NZSIA, CSIA, BASI etc? I've just returned from a fantastic 2-week camp in Fernie (mainly CSIA coaches) and we're already tentatively planning a return to that! Unbelievably cold though!
  6. Magnatude

Sofa ski camp NZ 2024

I've since discovered it was also run at Porters last year, though I haven't heard anything about it. I assume it was just a 3 day camp, so it might have gone under your radar. Long way to come for 3 days, at that price ($1900, which appears not to include that accommodation, and thus seems...
  7. Magnatude

Help Needed: I am afraid of the bunny hill.

I did a women's instructor clinic a couple of years ago, and our coach said she uses a similar technique, before going down something gnarly, which she described as "hulking up". Eg, standing on a cornice or whatever, and basically going quite guttural, making assertive grunts, and then going...
  8. Magnatude

Tell me about your ski quiver!

I've streamlined my quiver in the last few years, to skis that I actually use regularly. Work (well, former work, now solely training) skis Augment SC 68, in 162-ish length, and probably medium/stiff flex; rock skis/former work skis Head iRally 170; fun/all mtn skis Volkl Kendo 170-ish; and...
  9. Magnatude

NZ

Yes, it's been a while. We skied there at weekends (and the school holidays) almost exclusively for nearly 20 years -- until I started teaching 9 years ago, and our kids began doing their own thing. We definitely had a favoured parking spot too, back then. Probably have to fight for it these...
  10. Magnatude

NZ

Hmm, that's a bit of a worry (ironically, since I'm one of those pass buyers). But yes, 7am arrivals are out of control!
  11. Magnatude

NZ

Haha, definitely research NZ and Australia school holidays dates. I'm a semi-closet Coronet Peak fan (I instructed across the valley for many years), so feel the need to correct a couple of points -- there actually is accommodation on mountain at Coronet Peak, if you don't mind backpacker...
  12. Magnatude

Sofa ski camp NZ 2024

Christchurch is the closest international airport (less than an hour's drive from Porters), though most flights from North America land in Auckland anyway.
  13. Magnatude

Sofa ski camp NZ 2024

No dates yet, but looks like it's coming to Porters. Was previously at Treble Cone, but the 2020 takeover by Cardrona seems to have put an end to it. https://sofaski.com/camps/sofa-ski-camps-new-zealand/
  14. Magnatude

NZ

Yes it is interesting, I wouldn't have picked TC as the snowiest. It's a great field, but the snow can seem pretty variable at times. Maybe you could say that for any of them though. I wonder why none of the fields in the Craigieburns were in the study?
  15. Magnatude

Layer question - over bracelayer under pants

Yes I'm thinking rethinking the sweatpants are a great idea. Bulky clothing can be very limiting. Nothing wrong with shell pants, I skied in them last week in BC in sub -30C, and with decent, wool under layers, they were still adequate, just ...
  16. Magnatude

Layer question - over bracelayer under pants

Hi newbieM! First, how is your bracelayer worn? Is it in two pieces, one for each knee/leg? If you're not keen on wearing anything under the brace you might get away with merino or polyprop leggings in a larger size than normal to go over the top? Sweatpants don't sound ideal, especially if...
  17. Magnatude

NZ

Interesting snowfall statistics for Southern Hemisphere ski areas. Treble Cone is the snowiest resort in NZ/Australia, over 15 years. https://planetski.eu/2023/06/01/the-southern-hemispheres-snowiest-ski-resorts/
  18. Magnatude

NZ

What AJM said, absolutely. Further to the club field info, they are most definitely not like US private club fields (eg Yellowstone etc). They are essentially no frills areas with limited to no grooming, no snowmaking, no ski hire, no fancy lodges. They are open to anyone, and offer lower...
  19. Magnatude

Hybrid, EV, or PHEV for a ski car?

So true. Long trips by EV are bringing a shift away from the destination being the entire point of a trip. Of course, that might change again once battery technology evolves to longer ranges.
  20. Magnatude

Hybrid, EV, or PHEV for a ski car?

Totally agree about it feeling safer -- much better acceleration, lane control, braking, everything really.