• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What nerve?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I just bought new athletic shoes and have been wearing the around the house to see if I’m going to keep them. I've actually just been sitting in my chair, feet up on footstool, and have noticed that the little toe and part of my foot right under it seem to keep going to sleep/getting numb. I've been changing my foot position, and the shoes are laced really, really loosely. I feel no pinching, poking, or anything else, and the toe box is plenty wide - I can spread my toes in the sheoe, while tied.

So, despite not feeling anything being pinched, I assume something is. What nerve handles this area of the foot?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Lateral plantar seemed possible, but this isn't my area of knowledge at all, so I kind of wanted a doublecheck. The stuff I was googling made my head hurt.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks, but I don't understand. At all. Found a similar picture of the foot that showed a Sural nerve with an S1 and S2 near it. Your link made me think S4 was something (anterior pic, outside of leg into foot) but then I see all the S things on the posterior pic are near my ass, so are you telling me to get off my ass and my foot will be fine?:bounce:

Like I said, this is not my area of expertise at all. (Understatement of the year, right?)

Jenny

Angel Diva
Wait, wait - I might be zeroing in on this. The S1 nerve affects those areas, so stuff happening in both your rear and your foot can be because something is going on with just the one nerve. Like sciatica. But that's if something is happening to it way up by the spine, right?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CNS>PNS

So, the central nervous system is spinal cord and then it branches out and turns into the peripheral which is all the little nerves that go through our body. The dermatomes map is showing which areas of the body are affected by which vertebrae.

This image is a good one of the nerves in the foot, so I would call that a 'lateral plantar nerve'? But I'm also gonna add that I'm no expert in this stuff.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, but I don't understand. At all. Found a similar picture of the foot that showed a Sural nerve with an S1 and S2 near it. Your link made me think S4 was something (anterior pic, outside of leg into foot) but then I see all the S things on the posterior pic are near my ass, so are you telling me to get off my ass and my foot will be fine?:bounce:

Like I said, this is not my area of expertise at all. (Understatement of the year, right?)
Lol. No you don’t have to get up, a nerve can be compressed anywhere along its path. The dermatones show the affected areas of each nerve. I think you are correct in suspecting lateral plantar though.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Oooh, KimmyT's pic shows the lateral plantar looking like maybe it goes under the ankle bone? If so, I think that's it, as one of my concerns with these was whether my ankle bone was too low and was hitting the shoe too much. It didn't necessarily hurt when I was wearing them, but I was aware of hit touching the shoe and that's has been an issue all of my life. And, it was sore for a little while after I took off the shoe. This is the foot in which I have a bigger problem with plantar fasciitis, too.

Thanks for the help ladies.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of hiking boots that do that. I've already used them so it's too late, but can you return the shoes?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I have a pair of hiking boots that do that. I've already used them so it's too late, but can you return the shoes?
Oh, I can. I've only worn them inside for a couple of days, and this store even lets you return them if you've worn them outside. Trouble is, I really want them to work! They're soooo cushy comfy - you know, other than this pesky numbness issue! I may go back and ask them about lifting me up just the tiniest bit in them to see if that does anything.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Many of my hikers (and my ski boots) hit my ankle bones in the wrong place. I ended up buy several pairs of heel lifts/arch supports that lift my ankles up out of the lower edge of the pocket. Maybe try that cheap and easy solution first?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Many of my hikers (and my ski boots) hit my ankle bones in the wrong place. I ended up buy several pairs of heel lifts/arch supports that lift my ankles up out of the lower edge of the pocket. Maybe try that cheap and easy solution first?
I'm going to the store tomorrow to see what they have to say, but I’ve worn them a little more now, including a full day at work, and it hasn't happened again, so maybe I just had something weird going on those nights. Or a sock issue, who knows. But I’m liking the little bit of heel lift idea - something minimal I can put under the footbed, so it doesn't interfere with the cushiness.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The ones in my low top hikers are Sof Comfort from Wal-Mart. 3/4 length. I have others I like better, but I'll have to wait until I get home to see what they are. I found them at TJ Maxx in the sport section. They were marketed as "comfort and support for tired feet after your workout", or some other such drivel. :laughter:

Jenny

Angel Diva
I stopped in at Gazelle and the guy there fashioned some for me out of another pair of insoles. They seem to have done the trick, too, so I’m keeping the shoes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna