• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Needing to replace my Kiku powder skis

SkiPT

Certified Ski Diva
I have skied my Volkl Kiku skis to death. The last 3 powder days I began to notice how hard I was working, then I noticed essentially no energy coming back to me from the skis, and a very flat non-shock absorbing sense from the front 1/2 of the skis.
I decided to save the 4 inch powder day at Vail I was having. My great ski buddy and I zipped over to Outdoor Divas at Lionshead and I tried a demo pair of Lines. I wish I took more notice of what they were. Not enough snow to give them a fair powder test and then there's the weight of the demo bindings.
So, having loved my Kiku's and wanting a ski that can handle aggressive skiing but letting it feel easy....what does anyone recommend form the past few years and currently?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're willing to go a bit wider, I'd HIGHLY recommend making the move to the Shiro, and go up a size. It's by far the funnest, easiest, and yet most competent ski I own.

Another ski in the same width that you might want to try is the Coalition Snow SOS. As a more all-around ski in the same width, take a look at the 100-Eight, too.

I tried next year's replacement for the Shiro, the Confession, and while Hubby loved it, I found it a little planky and no where near as fun as the Shiro.

History: I started on the original, full camber Aura (177), went to full camber Kiku (176), changed to full rocker Kiku (178), added Shiro (173), and traded up to to the Shiro (184). It was my all-day, every-day ski for 2 years, until my knees started giving me issues. Now I only take it out on soft days.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Very interested in this. I beat my Auras to a pulp and now ski my Kikus as the daily driver. I keep trying other skis but nothing even comes close to feeling the same. Volkgrl, help me!! Kikus's are in great shape but I know they won't last forever...

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can demo them in powder or at least soft conditions, try the Armada JJ's. I have last year's JJ 2.0, my husband has the original JJ from about 3 or 4 years ago. My husband's a pretty aggressive skier, likes to go fast and jump off small cliffs etc, I'm let's say more conservative (he'd say chicken), but we both love the skis. They make skiing chopped up powder and crud fun, can turn on a dime, and are pretty good on the groomers too. And obviously perform well in powder.

I think the 2.0 is supposed to be better at speed than the original model, but I've read that some people prefer the original.

Other powder skis I've spent time on are the Rossi S7 and Super 7 - both of which I enjoyed but neither of them feel as stable or as fun as the JJ.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Volkl OneW? 116 a ton of rocker. drifty surfy fun in powder, drivable on the groomers... a true water ski for the sierra cement.
I would like to get on the 100eight also, just to compare .....
DD rocks the Shiro JR. but out growing current length......

mustski

Angel Diva
I like my Volkl one, but I believe it has been discontinued. Nor is it in the same class as the Auras and Kikus. The One is fun, but at 116, it is definitely a powder ski. Don't get me wrong; it works very well in average groomers. It will hurt on hard conditions and it's definitely not as versatile as the Kiki and the Aura.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmm well get on up to Mammoth you will need those ONES LOL
DH is surfing out on his snowboard when stuck in trees etc. b/c its so deep.... I just float on by.
Haven't been on the Auras for a few years and never on the Kikus so can't compare.
The Ones were made for this year, not sure about next.
btw I have no issues on the groomers or dust on crust or frozen wind crap off the top / backside..... But yes they shine in the wind drifts in the trees.......

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the 100eights ski somewhat similarly to my old Kikus. From what I can remember of them.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They've updated the core and construction of the -Eight series for 2018, and it's MUCH improved! None of the chattery, bouncy rattle now, and I loved the new 90 and 100 this time around. The 100 may he the right call to replace the Kiku, finally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna