• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Running support and motivation?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Think she said an 8:20 minute kilometer ... that's different but still so awesome... As soon as knee gets better, I'm going to start running again.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Yup - 8:20 m/km - I'm a super slow runner, and an even slower trail runner. When I'm running uphill, it's barely more than a walking pace. One can't even call it a snail's pace...more like glacial pace :smile: It's usually about 12 min/km running up hill, and somewhere around 6 min/km when on flat ground...so I end up somewhere in between on average. I have a couple of friends who are trail runners and they think walking uphill is totally within the boundaries of 'trail running' - I wholeheartedly agree :smile:

Hope your knee gets better @santacruz skier !

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yup - 8:20 m/km - I'm a super slow runner, and an even slower trail runner. When I'm running uphill, it's barely more than a walking pace. One can't even call it a snail's pace...more like glacial pace :smile: It's usually about 12 min/km running up hill, and somewhere around 6 min/km when on flat ground...so I end up somewhere in between on average. I have a couple of friends who are trail runners and they think walking uphill is totally within the boundaries of 'trail running' - I wholeheartedly agree :smile:

Hope your knee gets better @santacruz skier !
Yep, walking uphill is definitely within the boundaries.. Either going to Tahoe next Thursday or the following Thursday for about a week.. Thanks. i'm having some patella issues and got a really cool "band" to wrap around bottom of the knee. Haven't been to the Sierras since end of ski season so should be beautiful this time of year... Keep up the good work @Albertan ski girl !

Thanks, I forgot about the conversion. Nonetheless it's not about speed, the fact that you are out there doing it is all that matters. I've always been around a 12-13 minute mile and I'm ok with that. Glad you are out there doing it. @santacruz skier hope your knee is better soon.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW, I've never heard of a couch25k program ever. Except on this forum. Am I totally uninformed? Or is it because I've only run 10k's....No it couldn't be. Is it an east coast thing?

Well, I don't remember how I learned about it, but I was in Colorado at the time. It's probably because you were already running - you didn't need it. The point is to get people off the couch. The name is confusing, since it's meant to be "to 5k," not 25k. I haven't ever completed it, but I always do the time version -which at my pace is not 5k, in any case. The goal in the timed version is half an hour of running.

There are couch to 10k programs also. A 10k is just a double 5k so very doable for a first timer. Especially with the Jeff Galloway walk/ run method.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Good for you @Albertan ski girl ! Unfortunately, I have been temporarily sidelined with a knee issue. Hoping to get back on the track by the end of the week. Today, off for a gentle hike.

I started running using a Couch-to-5k app called C25K. You can find it on iTunes App Store. I'm currently following Danny Dreyer's 5k training program, and I'm using an interval timer app to manage the walk-run intervals. My running technique definitely improved...my main challenge right now is getting my weight down. I'm hoping that a combination of better technique and healthier weight will improve my time, and general fitness overall.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks, I forgot about the conversion. Nonetheless it's not about speed, the fact that you are out there doing it is all that matters. I've always been around a 12-13 minute mile and I'm ok with that. Glad you are out there doing it. @santacruz skier hope your knee is better soon.
Yeah, it's not about speed, but I would get a bit competitive (with myself) and always tried to run 10k's in under an hour... now who knows? Think I mentioned in another post that I ran the same 10k Wharf to Wharf for 25 years in a row... It's so much fun and there are bands playing every step of the way.... Also ran the Bay to Breakers in San Francisco and that was a riot... think it was a 12k.....
I do love trail running as well . We have great trails here but I have been known to trip...

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
That's a beautiful run with views of Calgary and 8:20 km pace is great! I'm super slow, especially on trails. I managed to get in 8 miles (12.8km) Sunday morning. There was some snow higher up in the mountains for some nice views. It's pretty much gone now but soon it will be here to stay! The cooler mornings have been great for long runs on the weekends.

My black lab has started joining me on my shorter week day runs in the evenings. It's fun to have her with me again. She such a happy dog and I've missed her company.

I'm trying to debate what to do about running as it gets darker earlier. When the time changes again, I may be able to get out in the mornings. I'm debating a headlamp. I guess the good thing is that there really isn't anyone around to see me. Since I'm in the middle of nowhere, there is no light whatsoever plus there are beasties out there!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Good for you @Albertan ski girl ! Unfortunately, I have been temporarily sidelined with a knee issue. Hoping to get back on the track by the end of the week. Today, off for a gentle hike.

I started running using a Couch-to-5k app called C25K. You can find it on iTunes App Store. I'm currently following Danny Dreyer's 5k training program, and I'm using an interval timer app to manage the walk-run intervals. My running technique definitely improved...my main challenge right now is getting my weight down. I'm hoping that a combination of better technique and healthier weight will improve my time, and general fitness overall.

Hope your knee feels better! Knee issues are notoriously difficult to get rid of. I twisted my knee a few seasons ago skiing, and every so often, I still get a twinge of pain in the same spot, especially when I'm exerting myself.

I'm a big fan of the couch to 5k program - and the challenge is getting to the end of it. But I think it's really great. I think for me the main (and most difficult) realization is that it will take time. Weight loss will happen, but it's going to take time to deal with a lifetime of fitness issues, for me.

I'm trying to increase distance now and I find the interval training is still the best for me!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Yeah, it's not about speed, but I would get a bit competitive (with myself) and always tried to run 10k's in under an hour... now who knows? Think I mentioned in another post that I ran the same 10k Wharf to Wharf for 25 years in a row... It's so much fun and there are bands playing every step of the way.... Also ran the Bay to Breakers in San Francisco and that was a riot... think it was a 12k.....
I do love trail running as well . We have great trails here but I have been known to trip...

Yeah, I definitely can't run a 10 k in under an hour - I'm at more like 70-75 minutes now. I love the idea of doing the same race every year :smile:

I am definitely competitive with myself - if I don't see an improvement in average pace in subsequent runs, I'm disappointed. I had to keep those feelings in check the other day. I did a shorter road run - about 6.5 k, and I was feeling pretty lousy (didnt give myself enough time to digest), and I finished it and was disappointed that I was slower than my usual pace for about 5 seconds. And I told SO that I had a lousy run. His response was: "did you think a year and a half ago that you could even finish a 6k run, let alone 8 or 10k?" And it made me stand back and say, ok he's right. Maybe 6.5 k isn't so bad after all.

I bet the trails are amazing in cali! I also am a tripper - so I am constantly running with one eye on the ground for roots, rocks...

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
That's a beautiful run with views of Calgary and 8:20 km pace is great! I'm super slow, especially on trails. I managed to get in 8 miles (12.8km) Sunday morning. There was some snow higher up in the mountains for some nice views. It's pretty much gone now but soon it will be here to stay! The cooler mornings have been great for long runs on the weekends.

My black lab has started joining me on my shorter week day runs in the evenings. It's fun to have her with me again. She such a happy dog and I've missed her company.

I'm trying to debate what to do about running as it gets darker earlier. When the time changes again, I may be able to get out in the mornings. I'm debating a headlamp. I guess the good thing is that there really isn't anyone around to see me. Since I'm in the middle of nowhere, there is no light whatsoever plus there are beasties out there!

Agreed - I'm loving the change in weather right now, but the days are definitely getting much shorter. I tend to run through the cold weather. It has to be pretty damn cold for me not to run - but I won't run in the dark :smile: If it becomes too late to run (and by 'late', I mean 'dark' which sometimes here means 8 am or 4 pm), I'll go to a track on campus - though I don't find that very motivating. The run will usually be short, and I'll be miserable and get bored.

Beasties are no fun in the dark!

I am definitely a tripper also so am constantly working to pick my feet up more and watch that ground. When I was actively running I tended to pick the same races each year. I was hoping to do this one race this November as the foliage is gorgeous but it sold out fast, you get pizza and beer at the end so I'll have to be on that earlier next year. I will do my usual 5k at the beach at the end of next June. This will give me something to focus on when ski season ends in April.

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
I am definitely a tripper also so am constantly working to pick my feet up more and watch that ground. When I was actively running I tended to pick the same races each year. I was hoping to do this one race this November as the foliage is gorgeous but it sold out fast, you get pizza and beer at the end so I'll have to be on that earlier next year. I will do my usual 5k at the beach at the end of next June. This will give me something to focus on when ski season ends in April.

I'm always tripping, especially where I run now. I'm pretty much looking down and a few feet in front of me about 75% of the time. There are lava rocks and sage brush everywhere.

A group of us ran the Lobster Dash several years ago in Ogunquit, Maine. It was a lot fun running on the beach while the tide was out, then everyone got a lobster roll at the end! There is a race in this area that I keep missing - I'm hoping to catch it next year, on Pi day. They serve pie (pizza & desert) at the end.

I am determined to keep running through this winter. Once the snow comes, it is very limited where I can run out here - there's just one road, no lights. If the guys will keep some of the areas around the station plowed, I can make a short loop, which will be boring, but much like running at a track. I am just tired of what seems like "starting" over each spring. It's not the weather that keeps me in, just really no place to run once everything is buried under a couple of feet of snow and dark.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm toying w/the idea of running. I used to run a lot when I was doing triathlon, but haven't been serious in years. Just for grins and giggles I ran a couple of miles on a trail I was walking on Sunday. I was shocked at how easy an effort it was despite the fact that it was up and down hills. I think my gym training is paying off. At any rate, the trail running was really enjoyable v. pavement running. The stress on my joints was so much less. I only stopped b/c the sweat was starting to obscure my vision and the trails here are really rocky and full of the type of roots that reach up and grab you. I'm going to talk to my trainer about it tomorrow.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I've been running for about 2 years, and started half marathons last October. I've run 8 so far and will get in 3 more by November's end. I'm not a fast runner at all, but I like the longer half marathons compared to 5K or 10K's. Ironically, I tend to place in my age group in 5K's but not halfs. Maybe it's because I can suffer at a faster pace for a shorter amount of time. :smile:

The cool thing about running is that the races have a lot of commaraderie. Faster runners who finish early often come back to the finish line to cheer on us slower folks. Everyone is supportive. Longer races have an even more festive feel with bands, cheering spectators, and often some sort of end-race celebration.

I often will run in the dark during winter, I have a vest that's lit up with LED's....it makes me look like some sort of weird alien! But it works really well. I also use a headlamp and LED's on the backs of my running shoes. It's very quiet and dark where I live; often I hear wild animals rustling about. When it's a full moon with snow on the ground, it's a magical place to run.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I plan on continuing in the winter too!
@W8N2SKI - that is one of the things I really like about trail running too. I like how much easier it feels on my joints than pavement. So, I always try to alternate between the two.
@vanhoskier - I would love to see that LED vest :smile: Sounds awesome.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah, I definitely can't run a 10 k in under an hour - I'm at more like 70-75 minutes now. I love the idea of doing the same race every year :smile:

I am definitely competitive with myself - if I don't see an improvement in average pace in subsequent runs, I'm disappointed. I had to keep those feelings in check the other day. I did a shorter road run - about 6.5 k, and I was feeling pretty lousy (didnt give myself enough time to digest), and I finished it and was disappointed that I was slower than my usual pace for about 5 seconds. And I told SO that I had a lousy run. His response was: "did you think a year and a half ago that you could even finish a 6k run, let alone 8 or 10k?" And it made me stand back and say, ok he's right. Maybe 6.5 k isn't so bad after all.

I bet the trails are amazing in cali! I also am a tripper - so I am constantly running with one eye on the ground for roots, rocks...
Check this out! It used to be a solid 10k when I first started running it, but now is 6 miles, not 6.2 so no longer a true 10k. But really, really fun... Why else would I run it for 25 years?

https://www.wharftowharf.com/race-info

The camaraderie with races pumps you up and keeps you going. Nothing like having a bunch of people cheering you on and hearing your name called as your cross over the finish line. I love races with themes (St. Patty's day, my fall foliage pizza and beer one and the one by the beach called the fall frolic). Some of the ones I've done have bands along the way. I love this one 5k at the end of June in my town. Wicked hot by that time here but my town fire department hooks up hoses into the fire hydrants at about mile 2, take the sunglasses off, protect the MP3 player and run right through the water, so refreshing. My best training has always been when I sign up for a race. It's the carrot in front of me that works to get some sort of regular training going on.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Scenes from my morning run today, minus one very shy heron who escaped the camera.

14488220_346630609013394_397777288017477632_n.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna