• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

Our garden is suddenly coming right along; lettuce is looking great, eggplant is about ready to be picked, cherry tomatoes are producing like crazy and broccoli is looking good. I am now convinced my garden heard me say i wasn't doing it next year and that scared it into growing ha ha.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our garden is suddenly coming right along; lettuce is looking great, eggplant is about ready to be picked, cherry tomatoes are producing like crazy and broccoli is looking good. I am now convinced my garden heard me say i wasn't doing it next year and that scared it into growing ha ha.
Hey, whatever it takes!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like a cucurbit, probably squash. If you've been tossing veggie guts into the compost, that would be it.

Growing like a weed, compared to the seeds I planted! I'm just gonna let them grow as long as they don't seem to be causing trouble, though I doubt they'll have the chance to fruit well.

altagirl

Staff member
Here are some pics of my new garden bed. It's been interesting finding shade plants! This bed is probably 90% full shade. I've never attempted ferns before, but they should like the shade.
20160819_090003_crop_747x1041.jpg 20160819_090006_crop_657x971.jpg 20160819_090027_crop_747x1199.jpg

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, the strawberries REALLY like the drip system.

pXv8adi.jpg

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, it's that time again ...

My chard came back. I sautéed some of the leaves in bacon fat. So delicious. They tasted bacon-y without all the work of chopping up and cooking bacon. They're young enough that the ribs were easy to eat - I just tossed the leaves in without any dismembering. I was warned that they would go to seed quickly or wouldn't taste as good, but I'm not finding that.

My garlic is going gangbusters, and I'm a little chagrined as I realize it is going to significantly reduce the amount of space I have for summer crops.

19MJCdu.jpg

I planted some lettuce. I actually think there may have been some baby lettuce coming back, but I thought they were weeds ... oops.

Weirdly, I have lots of carrots growing now from the seeds I planted last fall. I haven't pulled any yet to check them out.

I planted buckwheat seeds as a cover crop last season, but they never sprouted. Of course, they're sprouting now ... and not just where I planted them. They have another few weeks before I mulch them in.

My strawberry plants came back and seem quite happy. I added a third plant because I hear that strawberries stop fruiting well after the first 2 years or so.

My blueberry bush is filled with blossoms, which I think will all become blueberries. Last season, I got maybe 10 blueberries all summer. But it was still very young. This is exciting!

vf6EwEg.jpg

And I trimmed down my roses last weekend, down to the ground in some cases. It was nice to get them before they turned into death traps. But before I did so, I found a visitor:

ernuirV.jpg

I mixed a bag of compost into my veggie beds a couple of weeks ago, and last night we finally turned on the sprinkler/drip system, so everyone should be getting plenty of water now. I have watered with the hose a few times, but not regularly.

I also "built" chickenwire cages for my arbor vitae. They're about 5', and the lowest foot is brown from dog pee. Yuck. I'm hoping the cages will dissuade the dogs from those spots. Unfortunately I know they'll just migrate to our bigger trees, but at least they're well established? I wonder if I could do something to train my male dogs not to pee on live things. Sigh.

In the front yard, my tulips came back again. I didn't even plant them - they are still there from the previous owner, so they've been coming up without maintenance for at least 14 years now. I've never divided them. Granted, there are fewer than there used to be. Other than the tulips, the front flower bed is a mess - I tried to mitigate weeds with sedum, but it just looks gross, and it's hard to weed. My new plan is to kill off everything and start from scratch with felt, mulch, and a few flowering bushes (thinking a couple of small hydrangeas and some other thing in front of them ...) I may or may not transplant some of the tulip bulbs to the front as @Kimmyt suggested. They're beautiful and make me happy every spring, but I'm not sure how readily they'll find a hole in the felt, or how much that will hurt my plan of using felt as a weed barrier. Seems like weeds make their way through everything eventually and destroy the felt within a couple of years, anyway.

There's currently a sprayer for the flower bed, which I plan to replace with drips to each individual bush, which I'm told will make it *slightly* less of a weed attractant.

OlfjWFR.jpg

FY8qpOX.jpg

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got my 2017 crops in the ground Sunday and Monday... :thumbsup:

The rule of thumb around here is to wait until after Mother's Day to avoid a freeze.

There've been two years in recent memory - I think actually the last two years - when it snowed *on* Mother's Day weekend.

Christy

Angel Diva
I planted buckwheat seeds as a cover crop last season, but they never sprouted. Of course, they're sprouting now ... and not just where I planted them. They have another few weeks before I mulch them in.

I also tried cover crops in my raised veggie bed but it only spouted in a few patches. ??

All my cooler weather stuff is in or seeded--peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, herbs (these generally come back on their own). No point in putting tomatoes in here until mid-May at the earliest.

This is the time of year when I fantasize about turning my whole (city sized) backyard into raised beds for edibles. The reality is that there is only so much time I want to spend in the yard in summer. There is a retired couple in the neighborhood that rented a few acres out in the country to farm and are offering a super cheap CSA basically to just folks in our 'hood. So I'm doing that too.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also tried cover crops in my raised veggie bed but it only spouted in a few patches. ??

All my cooler weather stuff is in or seeded--peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, herbs (these generally come back on their own). No point in putting tomatoes in here until mid-May at the earliest.

This is the time of year when I fantasize about turning my whole (city sized) backyard into raised beds for edibles. The reality is that there is only so much time I want to spend in the yard in summer. There is a retired couple in the neighborhood that rented a few acres out in the country to farm and are offering a super cheap CSA basically to just folks in our 'hood. So I'm doing that too.

My aunt and uncle had a pretty big (I'm guessing 1/3 acre) mini-farm for a few years. They're selling all of that and moving to a smaller place. Yeah, it was pretty much a full time job, which worked since they were both mostly retired.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Planting rule of thumb around here is wait until April 15th and check the ten day forecast. One warm year like this one, I planted March 30th, then it snowed April 19th!!! That was a freak occurrence. It's rained the last three days on my newly planted "farm" so I think I'm doing well! I'm 19 miles from the North Carolina line, which is where the mountains begin;This is an area called The Piedmont, rolling hills...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm pondering getting a third box. It would get pretty crowded, but I want mooooore!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

This is basically me:

Winter-uuuuugh ski season's almost over noooooo. Oh, sigh, I guess I should start thinking of my garden.
Spring- PLANT ALL THE THINGS! Ooooh maybe I should make 1/2 of my yard an orchard! Maybe I should get chickens! More raised beds!
Summer- uuuuuuugh whyyyyyyyyy did I plant so many things I hate you sun.
Fall- Oh cool I'm really glad I planted all those things and I've had a great harvest I love gardening yay!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is basically me:

Winter-uuuuugh ski season's almost over noooooo. Oh, sigh, I guess I should start thinking of my garden.
Spring- PLANT ALL THE THINGS! Ooooh maybe I should make 1/2 of my yard an orchard! Maybe I should get chickens! More raised beds!
Summer- uuuuuuugh whyyyyyyyyy did I plant so many things I hate you sun.
Fall- Oh cool I'm really glad I planted all those things and I've had a great harvest I love gardening yay!

This is me, except "Fall" is "Wow, I really don't think it was worth it to raise 3 tomato plants, only to harvest like 6 useable tomatoes." Or last season, "Jeez, really? My tomatoes are just starting to fruit now that it's freezing at night."

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Oh, bummer! I plant 9 standard size tomato plants of different varieties; Then at least some of them will like that particular summer's weather conditions. I always plant Early Girl, Better Boy, Big Boy among others-those are ones my grandpa was planting back in the '50s! I also do 3 cherry sized and I've eaten them from the end of May past picking at first frost (can be mid October thru Thanksgiving weekend) and this year ate the last ripened in a brown paper bag in January! Cherry tomato plants are ~very~ rewarding and they'll still make a yummy tomato sandwich The cherries need a particularly strong cage as they'll produce so many tomatoes that the branches will be heavy! (Oh and I use "horse fertilizer"!)

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cherry tomato plants are ~very~ rewarding and they'll still make a yummy tomato sandwich The cherries need a particularly strong cage as they'll produce so many tomatoes that the branches will be heavy! (Oh and I use "horse fertilizer"!)

I think of cherry tomatoes more as "annoyingly prolific and way too sweet" - but I was introduced last season to a strain that looks and tastes more like a tiny purple cherokee. Heck yeah!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga