• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@artistinsuburbia That confirms my decision to stay home. If it were easy to get to the hill, I would try it out of curiosity but I'm not going out in this mess not even knowing if I like skiing that kind of snow! Fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
@artistinsuburbia That confirms my decision to stay home. If it were easy to get to the hill, I would try it out of curiosity but I'm not going out in this mess not even knowing if I like skiing that kind of snow! Fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow!
Imho it's definitely not worth risking the drive. And may I add that skiing the heavy chop was bad enough, but tolerable, until you add in the being pelted by gail force winds and snowflakes that crushed your face and visibility that was total garbage. It's cold on the lift as it would accumulate on you by the time you hit the top and we were soaked to the bone. It just wasn't pleasant at all. First tracks in the am however were glorious.

newboots

Angel Diva
Our snow conditions (Western Massachusetts) should be awesome, but I decided against it. There is too much snow falling too fast for me to make the usually-45-minute drive. And the thought of the wind and terrible visibility discouraged me, as well. I've experienced some powder earlier in the season, and it was a lot of fun. I'm a better skier now, and I think I could have fun with it (no worries about falling, it's pure fun!). But not if I don't live to get to the hill.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And may I add that skiing the heavy chop was bad enough, but tolerable, until you add in the being pelted by gail force winds and snowflakes that crushed your face and visibility that was total garbage. It's cold on the lift as it would accumulate on you by the time you hit the top and we were soaked to the bone.

Ha!! That description literally makes grading student essays seem much more fun than skiing! :rotf:

marzNC

Angel Diva
A few places are re-opening for the weekend because of the snow storm. Hidden Valley, Massanutten are the ones I remember off hand. Snowshoe is re-opening Silver Creek.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
SNOWSHOE
Last chance for good SPRING SKIING in the South!!!
I'm thinking I will drive up to Snowshoe on Sunday and ski Monday, Tuesday, and maybe Wednesday. They have gotten 14 inches of snow so far, with snow in the forecast for the weekend, and temps only getting above freezing for a short part of Saturday. Then Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday warming to above freezing and partly to mostly sunny! Looks like I'll be by myself so I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me? I would love to have a ski buddy or two. Cupp Run is open. Anyone?

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
SNOWSHOE
Last chance for good SPRING SKIING in the South!!!
I'm thinking I will drive up to Snowshoe on Sunday and ski Monday, Tuesday, and maybe Wednesday. They have gotten 14 inches of snow so far, with snow in the forecast for the weekend, and temps only getting above freezing for a short part of Saturday. Then Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday warming to above freezing and partly to mostly sunny! Looks like I'll be by myself so I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me? I would love to have a ski buddy or two. Cupp Run is open. Anyone?

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

But I'm looking for an easy, not crowded blue to slide down. :wink:

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

But I'm looking for an easy, not crowded blue to slide down. :wink:
Sorry we will just miss each other! I think the green runs at Snowshoe are very fun. They wind picturesquely through the trees and dip and roll. Cupp Run is my favorite but at the end of the day sometimes I enjoy cruising those greens over on skier's left on the main side of the mountain. Have fun!

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I have a friend to go with now but would love to meet others. We are staying at the Elk River Inn in the farmhouse which is awesome. They have a hot tub and serve a full hot breakfast and the room is only $60 for two. My friend is a relatively new skier and will be skiing the greens and blues and maybe a black or two if conditions are good, which I think they will be. I like Cupp run so will spend some time there. Come join us! There are rooms available! The farmhouse has individual rooms and shared baths and a living room with Refrig and microwave. It's not at the top of the mountain but set in a scenic area along the river. Very nice place. Would love to meet some of you. I really think skiing will be good!

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
I have a friend to go with now but would love to meet others. We are staying at the Elk River Inn in the farmhouse which is awesome. They have a hot tub and serve a full hot breakfast and the room is only $60 for two. My friend is a relatively new skier and will be skiing the greens and blues and maybe a black or two if conditions are good, which I think they will be. I like Cupp run so will spend some time there. Come join us! There are rooms available! The farmhouse has individual rooms and shared baths and a living room with Refrig and microwave. It's not at the top of the mountain but set in a scenic area along the river. Very nice place. Would love to meet some of you. I really think skiing will be good!

Never heard of that Inn before. I will try next time I go. Is it far from the village?

The snow on Sunday was great! A lot of people but that's to be expected for a weekend.

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was there Sunday, too. Agreed, conditions were great. With all that snow it's hard to believe they are really closing next weekend.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I went, I skiied, I conquered! Well it felt like I did because I had so much fun. The skiing was great on Monday until afternoon when it got sticky and we quit. Bright sunshiny day though which I enjoy. Tuesday morning it was misting rain lightly and I wasn't too excited. But I had gotten my skis tuned the night before and we had free tickets so we gave it a go. And I must say it was extremely fun. If you are a Southern skier you know how to ski in the rain! The rain quit around 11 and the skiing was good until closing time. Everything was in very good condition and Cupp Run was exceptional. I think the wax job helped. I have had issues with getting too tired lately on trips out west so I was glad to not have that problem. I think it's the altitude issue with the big mountains out west.

The Elk River Inn is in Slatyfork which is only about 5 minutes or less from the big intersection at the bottom with the Ski Barn and Snowshoe Inn (Lellandra). We shared the farmhouse with only one other group (two guys from Ohio that were very nice) and they were only there one night. So we had the place to ourselves for two nights. It was a good thing we brought food since NOTHING was open for dinner anywhere. That's my advice for Snowshoe -- bring your own food!!! I spent less than $200 for the trip TOTAL including lodging, food, gas and the $20 for lift tickets on Monday. Tuesday some guys gave us two free tickets they couldn't use. Well worth it and I feel much happier at work since I got back. We'll have to do it again next year because they are closing right about now...

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Tennessee Glad you had an awesome time at Snowshoe! I'd definitely like to get there next season. And I am the biggest cheapskate skier ever. Props to you for such an economical trip!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Before everyone moves away from skiing completely, anyone up for getting together during the summer? I'm guessing that somewhere in northern VA or southeast PA would make the most sense.

For an adventure weekend, could do the NRocks Via Ferrata in WV. Or maybe the GoApe high ropes and zipline course in Rock Creek Park in DC?

Tennessee

Angel Diva
@Tennessee Glad you had an awesome time at Snowshoe! I'd definitely like to get there next season. And I am the biggest cheapskate skier ever. Props to you for such an economical trip!
We should plan a get together next year for sure. If I go with a group the Sundown Hutches right along the top of Cupp Run are my favorite place to stay. Thanks va_deb!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC Great minds! Was just thinking about some kind of DC-area diva gathering this summer. We do have a large concentration of ladies in northern VA. I've only been ziplining once, but it may have spoiled me...it was on Hawaii in Kaua'i (link here in case anyone wants to add to their bucket list). Most amazing thing I've ever done!

Maybe a Sunday would work well since it did last time? I'm up for anything, (although I confess to being a bit of a heat and humidity wimp in the summer). There are also some SUP and canoe and kayak options in Northern VA is anyone is up for that. Also a favorite non-touristy and very historic national park with easy riverside shaded hiking and beautiful views.

What do others think? Maybe we should start a new meet on the hill thread...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna