• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also in the XT and have found them the best fitting boots I've ever had right out of the box.

dancingspark

Certified Ski Diva
Okay, so, furthering this debacle, Powder7 is having a sale on demo skis that ends tomorrow...I can't get over there in person to check out the deals because of various obligations. But they have a pair of Atomic Vantage 85 Ws for $379. Problem is I think the waist is too narrow at 85 and the ski is too short at 165cm. I talked to one of the people at the shop and they said it could really go either way, but for teaching shorter/narrower is fine because I'd be on groomers the whole day anyway. But atm I don't really have the money to shell out for a second pair of skis for when I want to hit runs on powder days.

Am I right to think 85 is too narrow for CO conditions and 165 may be too short for a regular use ski?

And lastly, could anyone elaborate on their experience with Icelantic skis, especially the Oracle? I've read on other threads here that they ski short (I'm not sure what that means). I found a pair flat for $375/169 cm and they are so cool-looking.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Okay, so, furthering this debacle, Powder7 is having a sale on demo skis that ends tomorrow...I can't get over there in person to check out the deals because of various obligations. But they have a pair of Atomic Vantage 85 Ws for $379. Problem is I think the waist is too narrow at 85 and the ski is too short at 165cm. I talked to one of the people at the shop and they said it could really go either way, but for teaching shorter/narrower is fine because I'd be on groomers the whole day anyway. But atm I don't really have the money to shell out for a second pair of skis for when I want to hit runs on powder days.

Am I right to think 85 is too narrow for CO conditions and 165 may be too short for a regular use ski?

And lastly, could anyone elaborate on their experience with Icelantic skis, especially the Oracle? I've read on other threads here that they ski short (I'm not sure what that means). I found a pair flat for $375/169 cm and they are so cool-looking.

For teaching, 85 is a good width. I'm assuming you will also be taking clinics as part of your instructor job, and you'll learn technique better on a narrower vs wider ski. My guess is that you'd be better off with a 170 length IF you want a ski both for teaching and for free-skiing. When I taught, I used a 158 cm Dynastar ski with the kids, while my "regular" skis are 170 in length. (I'm 5'10", 165 lb).

Did you try skiessentials.com? I know since you live in CO, you have access to a lot of great shops, but this site often has great deals, and will offer ski/bindings packages with bindings mounted for you.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

For me, 85 would not be my favorite on a powder day. For groomers, sure. But I'd be shooting for 100+ for a one ski quiver. That's me.

Icelantics were my first fat ski - Nomads. Waist 105, no rocker. (Now all Nomads are rockered, and they come in different waists.) I loved them. Skied them every day at Breck.

I have known women who loved the Oracle; others who never really fell in love. I haven't been on them myself. BUT Icelantic will certainly be at the Loveland demo day in mid-November *push push*.

dancingspark

Certified Ski Diva
I still think (did I say this before?) that a Santa Ana in either width would be a great all-around ski.

The Santa Anas were at the top of my list, but I can't justify the price tag. $650 plus bindings would be really tough. But the Samba seems comparable, and more affordable...in the last four hours of looking, it's really come down to the Samba, the Vantage 90, and the BPs. But I think I might be too heavy for BPs, based on some other threads I've read on here.

The number of options is paralyzing...

I tend to think you'd outweigh the Black Pearls cause I feel like I do and we are close in stats. I don't think you can go wrong with the Atomics. I've never skied the Samba so I can't really speak to those.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that Christy's offered you free demos when you bought your boots. Any chance of demoing here and there until you find exactly what you want.

Here's a pair of Sambas at Powder 7

https://www.powder7.com/Blizzard-Sa...UnxwxYQ-P3RgloATne3i0_N4_1ZRkmMAQYhoCuKTw_wcB

Last edited:

dancingspark

Certified Ski Diva
Heh, yep, that's the exact pair I had my eye on. They have some nasty chips on the top of the skis, but maybe they'll be ok, who knows. I think I'm going to go check them out today, even though I really should do chores instead.

Christy's did offer the demos, the only thing I hesitate about is they don't have the best prices on skis, so I likely wouldn't buy from them. I'd feel bad taking advantage of the demos without eventually buying.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heh, yep, that's the exact pair I had my eye on. They have some nasty chips on the top of the skis, but maybe they'll be ok, who knows. I think I'm going to go check them out today, even though I really should do chores instead.

Christy's did offer the demos, the only thing I hesitate about is they don't have the best prices on skis, so I likely wouldn't buy from them. I'd feel bad taking advantage of the demos without eventually buying.

Just as an FYI, I've found Powder7 to be very accurate and fair with how they describe the condition of their used skis.

dancingspark

Certified Ski Diva
@surfsnowgirl , you had Kenjas for a while, right? Did you ski the 170cm? I found a really unbelievable deal on the 170 and might jump for those because if I hate them I can resell them for what I paid.

Edit, it seems unbelievable...$349 for new 2016s?

@surfsnowgirl , you had Kenjas for a while, right? Did you ski the 170cm? I found a really unbelievable deal on the 170 and might jump for those because if I hate them I can resell them for what I paid.

Edit, it seems unbelievable...$349 for new 2016s?

I still have Kenjas. I had 2015s for a little bit but then felt the 2016 with the wider waist and tapered tip and it's characteristics were a little better suited for what I wanted it for. I've never skied a 170cm Kenja before. I'd bought a pair in 170 but then sold them because I thought they'd be too tall for me. I ended up buying the 2016 in a 163. We are similar in stats and I'm an intermediate also and I love the Kenja. Could I ski the 170 probably but my personal happy ski length is 160-165 so that's where I stay.

I find the Kenja a very easy ski to ski. Ski length is a personal thing too. What size skis do you normally demo. Have you and are you comfortable skiing a 170cm ski?

That's a great deal. If you are comfortable with the size grab em!! They are easy to ski and they practically sell themselves if you decided to sell them. Kenjas are generally like a car that retains its value. They'll depreciate over time but you should at least be able to recoup that if you sell them this season. Hopefully not and you'll love them but at least you have options.

dancingspark

Certified Ski Diva
I still have Kenjas. I had 2015s for a little bit but then felt the 2016 with the wider waist and tapered tip and it's characteristics were a little better suited for what I wanted it for. I've never skied a 170cm Kenja before. I'd bought a pair in 170 but then sold them because I thought they'd be too tall for me. I ended up buying the 2016 in a 163. My personal happy ski length is 160-165.

I find the Kenja a very easy ski to ski. Ski length is a personal thing too. What size skis do you normally demo. Have you and are you comfortable skiing a 170cm ski?

If you are comfortable with the size and the deal is that good grab em. They are easy to ski and they practically sell themselves if you decided to sell them.

The skis I had when I was a teenager were 165s, I believe...those are the only pair I've owned (hand-me-downs from the 80s, no joke). All the others I've used are rentals. At 170 the skis would be just a bit shorter than I am with boots on. They might be a bit long, but I'm sure I could sell them easily if I hate them. Based on your previous reviews of them I think I'm going to go for them, since we have similar stats and it sounds appealing.

I have such trouble spending large quantities of money! I always try to talk myself out of it, haha. :becky:

The skis I had when I was a teenager were 165s, I believe...those are the only pair I've owned (hand-me-downs from the 80s, no joke). All the others I've used are rentals. At 170 the skis would be just a bit shorter than I am with boots on. They might be a bit long, but I'm sure I could sell them easily if I hate them. Based on your previous reviews of them I think I'm going to go for them, since we have similar stats and it sounds appealing.

I have such trouble spending large quantities of money! I always try to talk myself out of it, haha. :becky:

$349 is a great deal for those. Lots of Kenja love on here. They have tip rocker and the 2016s are friendlier than prior years. I am sure you'll be fine. Kenjas are so much friggen fun to ski. Plus at 90 underfoot they'll be a great daily driver for you out in gorgeous Colorado.

Post pics when you get them :smile:. :useless:

Hopefully you can get on the snow this weekend. :jealous:

Can't wait to hear what you think of them.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats on your skis.. hope you like them..

Sorry @bounceswoosh but I gotta laugh.. I guess being 'old" I was skiing on my straight Rossi 4G's and 4S' at A-Basin, Keystone, Vail etc in all the back country 2+ feet of snow.. and I don't think they were 75cm the entire straight ski. How skis have changed.. a 90 underfoot a daily driver! we're lucky there's so many skis..

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats on your skis.. hope you like them..

Sorry @bounceswoosh but I gotta laugh.. I guess being 'old" I was skiing on my straight Rossi 4G's and 4S' at A-Basin, Keystone, Vail etc in all the back country 2+ feet of snow.. and I don't think they were 75cm the entire straight ski. How skis have changed.. a 90 underfoot a daily driver! we're lucky there's so many skis..

Yup! And you aren't skiing on tooth picks like that, either, even on the east coast.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga