• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mammoth - April 2016

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From Howard aka The Dweeb's website:
A more active pattern is being advertised by both Global Ensembles today in the short medium and longer range.

It is likely to begin this Friday as a vigorous cold front sweeps through the sierra Friday Night bringing mainly light to possibly moderate snowfall amounts above 9,000 feet. Another small system may bring snow showers Sunday night into Early Monday and yet another system about next Wednesday followed by possibly another the following weekend...Expect somewhere between 3 and 5 inches at the main lodge and 6 to 8 inches on the crest by Saturday mid-morning....The snow level will begin about 8,000 and then lower to between the 6500 to 7000 foot level by late Friday night. A few inches of snowfall is possible off the roadways near the Village at Mammoth. Temperatures in the Town of Mammoth will cool from today’s mid 60s to the upper forties over the weekend in town. Moderate winds will come up out of the south over the crest Thursday afternoon then become stronger out of the west Friday and Friday night. Winds will be moderate again Saturday and diminish into the evening with lighter winds Sunday AM. Moderate winds will return Sunday PM into Monday over the crest.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, it was definitely windier today. Makes sense that snow is moving in. Guess our last day of the season won't be celebrated with a drink on the sunny deck after all! But at least I have the proper clothes for cold, snowy, and windy.

Not too much of note to report today. Bowl with Waterfall run was open again so DH could amuse himself. I passed. Snow cats have been moving a TON of snow making what looked like jumps. Saw mention on the mammoth snowman site of a private super park closing some runs and lifts, so figure that must be it. If anyone knows what this private super park is, I'd like to know.

We found a couple more runs that we hadn't noticed before, probably due to the fact that the path in is much smaller than we're used to seeing. First saw them from below, then worked out where the entrances must be. I'm standing at it in the pic.
image.jpg
Last day tomorrow, but we get to meet @VickiK so that makes the last day special!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Last day of the season, sigh. Seems kind of funny to complain that winter came back for it, but we got kind of spoiled by the four days of spring skiing prior to today!

Met @VickiK and her guy and skied for a few hours before we had to call it a day so we could drive back toward Reno. It was definitely colder, and much, much windier, although the snow didn't start until afternoon. Flat light, firm conditions, a couple of new runs - all good.

Here's the pictorial evidence that we met - hope we can ski together again sometime. Mammoth is a place we'll come back to, although next time a little earlier in the season so we can explore the rest of the mountain.

image.jpg

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Er, sorry for stepping on your ski. Hope you made it to your hotel with no issues. It was howling in the late afternoon.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Er, sorry for stepping on your ski. Hope you made it to your hotel with no issues. It was howling in the late afternoon.

LOL. Vicki, I guess you have joined the little club of those that accidentally find your ski stepping (or skiing onto, in my case) a fellow DIVA skier at Mammoth!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Here's some pics.

View from the top, I think, toward some other snowy mountains.
image.jpg

Looking up at chair 23.
image.jpg

Looking up toward the gondola.
image.jpg

Rest stop at the top of Coyote.
image.jpg

The infamous Waterfall. Pretty tame looking from here.
image.jpg

Oops. Bloomed a little too soon!
image.jpg

Lake Tahoe.
image.jpg

Jenny

Angel Diva
The moguls are what I think is the Waterfall run, but then I also thought we ended up there by going into Christmas Tree Bowl. But your question makes me think maybe one of those things is wrong!

We came off the Face Lift chair, around the back and then into the first bowl-looking thing you come to. But we had to stay way left in order to make sure we got back to a running chair lift. I know we kind of ended up near the bottom of one of the chairs that's closed, but could see one of the jumps they were building for the super park up pretty close.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think what you just described is Upper Dry Creek -- which would match the picture.
Super fun and some narrow spots between rocks depending on how deep the snow is.
and it gets VERY mouguled out !

Try Cornice or Climax to Upper dry creek to Lower dry creek to Mill. A thigh burner, especially w/ all the moguls!

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
I think what you just described is Upper Dry Creek -- which would match the picture.
Super fun and some narrow spots between rocks depending on how deep the snow is.
and it gets VERY mouguled out !

Try Cornice or Climax to Upper dry creek to Lower dry creek to Mill. A thigh burner, especially w/ all the moguls!
OK - you know what you're talking about there a LOT better than I do! Figured out that the chair we ended up near was at the bottom of Coyote run. Oh, and I should have said we kept skier's left, if that makes a difference. Either way, once was enough for me.

And since I really don't like moguls (and I'm back home in Michigan now) I will not be trying your suggested run! I'll let others have the "pleasure" . . . :smile:

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, that looked like Upper Dry Creek to me too. It's usually moguls, sometimes smaller than the usual big ones.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Upper Dry Creek it is, then. Which means I have to retract my "I did double black moguls" statement. Which is fine. Based on what I did, I never, ever want to do double black moguls!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Upper Dry Creek is definitely steep, plus it has big moguls, plus it has cliff walls that define the limits of the run, which isn't especially wide...the saying "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..." comes to mind. :clap:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga