• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Zoning Out While Swimming

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have any advice on how NOT to zone out while swimming so you can keep track of your laps?

I like the activity of swimming laps and how it makes me feel when I'm done, but man oh man -- it sure is boring! I've tried doing a different stroke every fourth lap, and that helps a little. And SwampDog posted on Facebook that she uses the alphabet when she swims: one lap she thinks of all the A names she can, the next all the B names, and so on. I actually tried this today and was somewhat dismayed by how few names I could come up with for some of the letters.

Anyone else have any tips?

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I try to keep my counting as simple as possible. I try to keep track of my distance instead of the number of lengths. Also, I count a 50 as one lap instead of a 25.

The other thing I do is if I know I want to swim a 750, when I get up to about 500 I'll start to think about how much further I have left and count down from there.

My biggest problem is when I'm doing sets. I'll forget whether I've done 3 or 4 100's.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I am hopeless at this -- last night I had totally lost track by the time I got to 150 meters. I like SwampDog's trick with letters, so I'll definitely try that next time. I also like that that will help keep my mind from wasting time thinking about useless crap. I actually really like zoning out when I exercise, it's just that when you're swimming there's something you need to keep track of.

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a very short attention span, so the only thing that ever worked for me was to mix up my strokes and swim sets. I could keep track of 4 free, then follow it with 4 back, then 4 breast. Then I just had to keep track of sets rather than laps.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I'm just swimming for distance, I usually figure that my end result will be +/- about 6 lengths due to getting lost on my number. I try to just repeat the number in my head as I'm going down the length. If I start getting off, I know I can't be *too* far off since I know whether it should be an even or an odd number based on which way I'm swimming.

What REALLY helps, though, as I realized this morning, is doing an actual swim workout instead of just swimming laps for distance. I pulled out the workouts a coach had put together for me and did one this morning, and I had ZERO trouble keeping track. I only had to be able to count to 8 at the highest, since the longest set I had to do at one time was a 200.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna