• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Zipfit vs Intuition Liners

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
By the end of last season I noticed my boot liner had packed out and there was more movement in my boot than I like. I took my boots to my local ski shop and they liked the sizing of the shells and agree that my liners have probably packed out. I agree with their assessment. I've had these boots for four seasons now (ski approximately 20 days per season) and only at the end of this season did I notice any problems. However, the shell still seems fine and the flex is still very supportive.

So now I'm looking into an aftermarket liner. My boots are Solomon XPros and my feet are low profile. I do have a fitted (not custom) aftermarket footbed in my boots. Does anyone have any experience with either of the liners? Or have another aftermarket liner they like? I'm in the Detroit area, so trying on in person will most likely not be an option. Thanks!

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's been some previous threads discussing aftermarket liners. Here's one on Zipfits: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/zipfit.26477/

I got Zipfits and didn't like them initially - however, after 14 days of skiing, I finally broke them in and now I love them. Initially the tongues felt too soft/cushy and I wasn't getting the feedback/rebound I wanted. My bootfitter added foam pads to them which helped (and I think I also had some technique issues that have since improved).

There's different models for Zipfit - would probably be best to have a discussion with a bootfitter experienced with Zipfit as to which would be best. You can also call the company directly, which is what my husband did, and they can give recommendations as well based on your foot and calf type.

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
We had a good boot experience at this store - don’t know whether they carry either of the liners, but worth a call? They've got two locations - Ann Arbor and Plymouth.

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I will definitely call them.

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
There's been some previous threads discussing aftermarket liners. Here's one on Zipfits: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/zipfit.26477/

I got Zipfits and didn't like them initially - however, after 14 days of skiing, I finally broke them in and now I love them. Initially the tongues felt too soft/cushy and I wasn't getting the feedback/rebound I wanted. My bootfitter added foam pads to them which helped (and I think I also had some technique issues that have since improved).

There's different models for Zipfit - would probably be best to have a discussion with a bootfitter experienced with Zipfit as to which would be best. You can also call the company directly, which is what my husband did, and they can give recommendations as well based on your foot and calf type.
Thanks for the information. I did the online quiz for both intuition and zip fit, but I'm still worried to spend that much and not have it be the right choice. My ski store didn't have a lot of knowledge on the aftermarket liners, so I will have to ask around. It's good to know I can also call the company directly.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For my second pair of good boots after I started skiing more regularly (after age 50), I got Intuition liners when the stock liners packed out. A couple years later, I moved into different boots (local boot fitter). When those stock liners (heat moldable packed out), I had the Intuition liners re-molded. Been working well that last two seasons.

When I was considering moving the Intuition liners, I had a chance to visit a couple ski shops in Mammoth that carry Zipfits. One carries both Intuition and Zipfit. Turned out that for my feet and boot fit, Intuition liners are the more appropriate solution.

Note that I got the Intuition liners at a shop at Alta. Remolding was done at a shop at Taos. Where I live, would have to drive several hundred miles or more to find a shop that carries either Intuition or Zipfit.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ZipFits can be amazing if they work for you, but they do have some drawbacks. Despite the marketing, I found that they did not keep my feet as warm as the stock liners. Also, the tongue is pretty thick, so I had to move my top buckles back to accommodate them. The Zip Fits also stiffened the boot, which I happened to like, but it's something you want to consider carefully. I have super-narrow, lv feet, and I've come to like being able to choose the volume on the Intuition liners depending on how my boots fit. (I mean, I just have one pair of boots, but over the years of having different boots, it was nice to be able to tailor the liner volume to how the shell fit.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Intuition liners I got added a little height to the boot cuff and stiffened things up a bit. My current boots are 3-buckle and deliberately very low. I'm petite with former dancer calves.

In my case, added stiffness was a good feature. I tend to get boots that are on the soft side, as opposed to going for the stiffest shell I could potentially bend. I'm a solid advanced skier at this point but not a hard charger. Lessons and ski conditioning in the last decade have helped a lot to get to the point that I could ski off-piste without buckling up that tight.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
By the end of last season I noticed my boot liner had packed out and there was more movement in my boot than I like. I took my boots to my local ski shop and they liked the sizing of the shells and agree that my liners have probably packed out. I agree with their assessment. I've had these boots for four seasons now (ski approximately 20 days per season) and only at the end of this season did I notice any problems. However, the shell still seems fine and the flex is still very supportive.

So now I'm looking into an aftermarket liner. My boots are Solomon XPros and my feet are low profile. I do have a fitted (not custom) aftermarket footbed in my boots. Does anyone have any experience with either of the liners? Or have another aftermarket liner they like? I'm in the Detroit area, so trying on in person will most likely not be an option. Thanks!
I totally love my Zipfit liners. My life is never the same again! Haha.

I ski pretty much every day in the season, last season was 147.
My boot fitter carry both of them. For me, he said do not get the Intuition because they do not last anywhere near Zipfit, which could last 1000 days.
He said that Intuition is more friendly to recreational skiers. Easier to get used to.
Intuition liners cost about a half of the Zipfit.

If they were boots, Intuition is like recreational boots and Zipfit is more like race boots. You do need to be able to put your feet into Zipfit liners(some Intuition liners also) THEN, place your feet into your shells. Some people have hardest time doing that.

I recommend finding a place where they carry both and try them on. All of us who have experience in these liners can share our experiences, but after all, you are the one who can make the judgement to see if you like either of them. You can also order the new stock liners. Since you do not ski that many days per season, that might be a feasible option.

Last edited:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva

Aw, I just saw that you are from Detroit.
Where do you ski?

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You do need to be able to put your feet into Zipfit liners(some Intuition liners also) THEN, place your feet into your shells. Some people have hardest time doing that.
I have the hardest time doing that!! I tried when I first got them and fell over every time. Now I just leave them in the boots like a normal liner.

I also got rid of the laces and the top buckle thing. Which is why I can just stick my feet in. It did reduce the stiffness that a Zipfit typically adds, but that wasn't really a problem for me since my boots are already stiff enough on their own.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I have the hardest time doing that!! I tried when I first got them and fell over every time. Now I just leave them in the boots like a normal liner.

I also got rid of the laces and the top buckle thing. Which is why I can just stick my feet in. It did reduce the stiffness that a Zipfit typically adds, but that wasn't really a problem for me since my boots are already stiff enough on their own.
They recommend you do not use them that way as the inside material shift and get stuck at the lower part.

You might want to find something else since you are not using them the way they are designed......

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They recommend you do not use them that way as the inside material shift and get stuck at the lower part.

You might want to find something else since you are not using them the way they are designed......
Hmm we must've spoken to different people lol. Zipfit told us when we called that either way is fine, it's whatever works for the individual. My main bootfitter in Mammoth leaves his in his boots, and his have lasted several years without problems. I also haven't noticed the material shifting around at all, and I've had some modifications to my boots where they recommended I don't take out the liners too often as it'll dislodge the things they've added.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Hmm we must've spoken to different people lol. Zipfit told us when we called that either way is fine, it's whatever works for the individual. My main bootfitter in Mammoth leaves his in his boots, and his have lasted several years without problems. I also haven't noticed the material shifting around at all, and I've had some modifications to my boots where they recommended I don't take out the liners too often as it'll dislodge the things they've added.
Well, if they are working for you, that is fine. I only said what I said because it seems they were not working for you.

Well, more than one person told me not to leave them in the shell.

Whatever works.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, if they are working for you, that is fine. I only said what I said because it seems they were not working for you.

Well, more than one person told me not to leave them in the shell.

Whatever works.
Ah nope they are working well for me now. It just took awhile for me to break them in initially and figure out what worked. The top buckle thing caused pressure points and the laces didn't add any benefit for me and were a hassle to deal with. I know some pro riders also leave theirs in the shell... it seemed to me from talking to people that it's a bit of a 50/50 split? Based on preference.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yeah, I actually ran into issues with this. I used to just shove my feet into my zipfits and leave them in the shell but the tongue material migrated down from doing that, and I started having issues with pressure on the top of my feet pressing on some nerves, causing numbness and pain. I was travelling at the time and hunted around for a bootfitter who was familiar with zipfits, and they basically just heated them up, moved the material around, and told me that I need to lace the liners up on my feet then put them into the shells from there. Had no issues since then. (I took off the top buckle as soon as I bought them haha, I've never used it, I did use the laces though.)

In my case, I have a high instep relative to the width and volume of the rest of my foot, so YMMV for other people - but there's definitely a reason that they advise that you should take them out each time. That said, I know other people who just leave the zipfits in the shells, and they have no issues. My bootfitter said that it's personal preference/depends on peoples individual feet.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Yeah, I actually ran into issues with this. I used to just shove my feet into my zipfits and leave them in the shell but the tongue material migrated down from doing that, and I started having issues with pressure on the top of my feet pressing on some nerves, causing numbness and pain. I was travelling at the time and hunted around for a bootfitter who was familiar with zipfits, and they basically just heated them up, moved the material around, and told me that I need to lace the liners up on my feet then put them into the shells from there. Had no issues since then. (I took off the top buckle as soon as I bought them haha, I've never used it, I did use the laces though.)

In my case, I have a high instep relative to the width and volume of the rest of my foot, so YMMV for other people - but there's definitely a reason that they advise that you should take them out each time. That said, I know other people who just leave the zipfits in the shells, and they have no issues. My bootfitter said that it's personal preference/depends on peoples individual feet.
That is how I was told to use them. I never had any issue with Zipfit. My friend was fitted by the grand son of the creator who is running Zipfit now. That is how my friend was told to wear them.

Also, the liners need to be dried after skiing in them, each time. If one leaves them in the boots, they will not dry well. I, not only take them out of my shells, I put boot dryers inside to make sure they are absolutely dry before putting my feet again the following day.

:thumbsup:

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friend was fitted by the grand son of the creator who is running Zipfit now. That is how my friend was told to wear them.
Yea so it really depends on the individual, ultimately there is really no one correct way to wear them. When I was having trouble with my Zipfits initially, we called the company directly and had a half hour phone conversation with the creator of Zipfit himself (Sven Coomer). The suggestion was to try it both ways, either one is fine, there might be a slight performance gain with the laces and strap but also might not be a noticeable difference. Also, according to him, the strap may be unnecessary now. Originally they only had the strap, and then added the laces later, but left the strap on just in case people liked it. It's ok to remove it, it's known that it can cause pressure points for some people. Sven also founded the ski shop we go to at Mammoth (Footloose) and trained a lot of the fitters there personally, including Van, the fitter who helped me.

Regarding drying the liners, we use a boot dryer that dries out the liners-in-shell quite well (we dry them for ~4 hours at a time). If we aren't going to be skiing for a long time, I also remove my liners from the shell. There's never been any mildew or mold when I've checked them.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Yea so it really depends on the individual, ultimately there is really no one correct way to wear them. When I was having trouble with my Zipfits initially, we called the company directly and had a half hour phone conversation with the creator of Zipfit himself (Sven Coomer). The suggestion was to try it both ways, either one is fine, there might be a slight performance gain with the laces and strap but also might not be a noticeable difference. Also, according to him, the strap may be unnecessary now. Originally they only had the strap, and then added the laces later, but left the strap on just in case people liked it. It's ok to remove it, it's known that it can cause pressure points for some people. Sven also founded the ski shop we go to at Mammoth (Footloose) and trained a lot of the fitters there personally, including Van, the fitter who helped me.

Regarding drying the liners, we use a boot dryer that dries out the liners-in-shell quite well (we dry them for ~4 hours at a time). If we aren't going to be skiing for a long time, I also remove my liners from the shell. There's never been any mildew or mold when I've checked them.
As I said, whatever works for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna