• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Zermatt or Lech in March w/15 y.o.?

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
Another ski season, another decision-this year it is Europe with DH and DS-who can now outski his father, but not me! Last year in Whistler was a huge success and he loved the teen ski camp, but not sure if I can convince him to try yet another one. I am an expert, DS is advanced (level 5 out of 6-still needs some work) and DH is advanced intermediate to advanced depending on his back and knees.

Both these locations do have teen options (Stoked in Zermatt, arlsberg ski school in Lech). DS is at that sort of (but not quite) independent stage. Both resorts are expensive. We have skied in France before kids. Difficult choice-which to choose? Advice on this forum has always been helpful in the past.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well Zermatt has that wonderful pedestrian village AND the Matterhorn. Views are so amazing. Great skiing for all levels. And you really feel like you are in Switzerland! No cars but a lot of carts (like golf carts) that are zooming around everywhere.... Great Cog railway. Really there's nothing remotely similar to Zermatt IMO. Have also been to Wengen , which is lovely and amazing views (right in the Jungfrau - think 007).... that comes close as very authentic pedestrian village but WAY smaller and a lot less to do (no crowds) but very good skiing.

Haven't been to Lech so no comment but hear great things. Also have taken two separate trips to Austria and it is cheaper than Zermatt!

I am going in late January-Feb to Davos/Klosters though..... (also St Moritz for the week prior)...

Let us know where you end up.... Can't go wrong either way.

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
In zermatt do you have specific areas you like to stay in-village center or by the train up the mountain, etc...? I am finding the lodging really challenging

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Stayed in village center at 3 star. Place called Hotel Butterfly.... this was in 2003 - think more fun in village but Riffelhaus on mountain looks very nice... Skied right by it!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Zermatt: prettier, larger village with more going on. Eye wateringly expensive, also a fair number of non-skiing tourists going up the cable cars to take pix of the Matterhorn etc. Found the slopes to be quite separate/not well linked up. Semi-horrendous home run into the village (a colossally long skate at one point, iirc) that is marked black only because of end of day congestion.

Big plus: skiing into Cervinia (bring your passport, just in case) - the most flattering motorway pistes for easy-peasy cruising. Great food, much cheaper than the Swiss side.

Lech: part of a bigger circuit that is better linked & more of the lodging is ski-in/out esp in Oberlech. It's expensive for Austria but it's possibly cheaper than Zermatt even so. I've stayed in St Anton and bused over to Lech, but since it sounds like your family are much stronger skiers than I was a decade ago when I skied there, you can do the ski tour over to St Anton and back easily. This was 10 years ago so things may have changed but things felt better linked up for skiing - not having to take your skis on and off so much. (OTOH, it's fun having to take the funicular railway at Zermatt.)

It's a smaller village tho - if you like the feel of a real town like Zermatt, St Anton is more comparable and isn't all mad party-hardy despite the reputation. Oberlech would be more similar to staying up-mountain at Zermatt. (In St Anton it turned out that ski in/out wasn't particularly needed as you could store your skis and boots at the bottom of the tram/gondola esp if you were renting from any of the stores in town.)

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you-you make Lech sound so appealing-we have made the decision to ski Zermatt this year, although now your words are making me regret the decision-Lech has long been on our radar, but I think it will have to be for next year...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You'll love Zermatt..... it is so picturesque!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll never regret Zermatt - even the drawbacks are pluses (like the Gronergrat funicular - it really is a hoot taking a cog railway to ski even if part of you is thinking "I have to click out *again*?") and the lack of connection between areas also means each section has a distinct feel. The slopeside food is fabulous and your husband sounds like a similar level to me (cusp of intermediate and advanced) and the terrain is really good for that standard.

I find the UK-based websites the best resource for most of the Alps - you might find this one handy https://welove2ski.com/zermatt - and the Daily Telegraph has a good ski column that is worth checking for up to date reviews.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I don't think you can go wrong with Zermatt, it's kind of a staple for European ski areas. Two winters ago, these were the same exact two areas I was deciding between for a trip with my husband, and a few friends. Ended up choosing Lech, then decided to stay in St. Anton instead of Lech, due to easier access from the train, since we weren't renting cars.

Lech: part of a bigger circuit that is better linked & more of the lodging is ski-in/out esp in Oberlech. It's expensive for Austria but it's possibly cheaper than Zermatt even so. I've stayed in St Anton and bused over to Lech, but since it sounds like your family are much stronger skiers than I was a decade ago when I skied there, you can do the ski tour over to St Anton and back easily. This was 10 years ago so things may have changed but things felt better linked up for skiing - not having to take your skis on and off so much. (OTOH, it's fun having to take the funicular railway at Zermatt.)

I stayed in St. Anton in Feb/March 2017, they now have a gondola in connecting Stuben to Zurs (I think it opened in 2016). Then you can ski or bus from Zurs to Lech. The ski route was closed the day we went to Lech so ended up taking the bus (5 minute bus ride from Zurs)...too much snow the night before, so closed for avalanche safety (too much snow? Is there such thing?).

St. Anton was amazing, with plenty to ski in the areas you can access easily. If (when?) I go back, I'd like to stay in Lech to have a more central location. We weren't able to get to Warth, Zug, Oberlech...etc. etc.

bawc

Certified Ski Diva
By any chance to you know of any guides you could recommend? And any insight on any instructors? @santacruz skier , I think I followed some of your recommendations for Whistler. Or perhaps I should start a new thread? There are multiple ski schools in Zermatt, and the choice can be overwhelming.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
By any chance to you know of any guides you could recommend? And any insight on any instructors? @santacruz skier , I think I followed some of your recommendations for Whistler. Or perhaps I should start a new thread? There are multiple ski schools in Zermatt, and the choice can be overwhelming.
Sorry I don't know of any instructors/programs at Zermatt, but I guarantee your family will have a magical time there!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna