• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Zermatt-Matterhorn 2020 Advice

smallboots

Diva in Training
Hello Ski Diva’s! Very excited for an upcoming trip to Zermatt. This will be my first time skiing in Europe (usually ski out west in the US).

I am an advanced intermediate skier and am looking for some tips on what to expect / what may be different from skiing in the US.

1) Will probably being my boots but not skis (can’t imagine it is worth it to bring them for 3 days of skiing). Any advice / recs for renting?

2)This will be my first real ski day of the season and my friend and I would love to sign-up for a lesson (could be group) or tour for at least a morning with an English speaking guide. There seem to be a ton of options - very different than the avail Resorts ski-school machine. Any advice / recs?

3) Any other differences between skiing in the US out west and in Zermatt?

4) Any recs for the apres scene / evening? Mix gender group in our early 30s...

5) Any other general recs / advice?

Thank you so much!!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am rather jealous!
My husband and I have been watching a Netflix/Redbull series called The Horn. It's about Air Zermatt, the search and rescue helicopter company that rescues mountain enthusiasts from Zermatt and the areas surrounding. The scenery is gorgeous!

Sounds like an amazing trip for you! I have no advice, unfortunately.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I did a week skiing in Zermatt over a decade ago. It's a magical place.

WhiteZinfandel

Diva in Training
Just joined TSD today and super happy to see some folks skiing in Europe as well. I don't know how international the community is (yet!) but I am actually based in Switzerland, about 3h by train from Zermatt.

Unfortunately I usually ski Portes du Soleil in France and so not so much on Zermatt specifically.

1) For rentals anywhere in Europe, I'd suggest taking a look at snowbrainer.com - at least to get a baseline. We've been using them for years and found service (both pre- and post-sales) to be great, prices hard to beat and also breadth of provider network means you can find something in any town.

2) For lessons indeed there are tons of schools and I'd suggest digging into reviews and getting a feel for the ethos - both of the school and what you're after. For instance, something more tune-up/ technical/ clinic-y or more getting to know the mountain or more trying out new things like park.

2b) Oh and perhaps take a call on lessons first - some of the schools have deals with partner rental shops and may be able to offer you a bit of a discount.

Hope that you have a great time!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just joined TSD today and super happy to see some folks skiing in Europe as well. I don't know how international the community is (yet!) but I am actually based in Switzerland, about 3h by train from Zermatt.

Unfortunately I usually ski Portes du Soleil in France and so not so much on Zermatt specifically.

1) For rentals anywhere in Europe, I'd suggest taking a look at snowbrainer.com - at least to get a baseline. We've been using them for years and found service (both pre- and post-sales) to be great, prices hard to beat and also breadth of provider network means you can find something in any town.

2) For lessons indeed there are tons of schools and I'd suggest digging into reviews and getting a feel for the ethos - both of the school and what you're after. For instance, something more tune-up/ technical/ clinic-y or more getting to know the mountain or more trying out new things like park.

2b) Oh and perhaps take a call on lessons first - some of the schools have deals with partner rental shops and may be able to offer you a bit of a discount.

Hope that you have a great time!
Gotta say I love the Portes du Soleil - have skied there many times as good friend had cousin who had a lovely home in Champery. Sadly, he passed away.... Also have skied Zermatt ! Welcome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna