• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yukon and Alaska

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
As I've mentioned in some of my older posts - I'm a university professor and, every spring, I get to teach courses on the politics of climate change in the southwest Yukon and southeast Alaska! I just got back, after 5 weeks of intense teaching and almost no access to phones or internet. here are some key shots!

This is the Carcross desert, in Carcross, Yukon. Yes, the Yukon has a desert! And this is the view of Bennett lake, and the mountains from the top of the tallest dune. The desert is actually the sandy bottom of an ancient sea that used to cover the whole area!
IMG_0815.JPG

Clan houses in Carcross:
IMG_0870.JPG

Playing frisbee with students on the shore of Kluane Lake, Yukon. We stay at a research station right on this beach for most of our time in Kluane country.
IMG_0948.JPG

This is one of our many 'classrooms' in Kluane country - we hiked up Sheep Creek to this view point and then had class here, overlooking Kluane National Park, the Slims river valley and the St.Elias mountains - home to the largest non-polar ice sheet in the world, and Mount Logan, second tallest mountain in N. America.
IMG_1173.JPG

Me and the Kluane ranges!
IMG_0979.JPG

Haines, Alaska in June!
IMG_1448.JPG

On the Seduction Point Trail, Chilkat State Park,
IMG_1326.JPG

Some of my students, sitting on the beach overlooking the Davidson glacier, Haines AK
IMG_1349.JPG

At the Jilkaat Kwaan Heritage Center, Klukwan, Ak - an amazing day!
IMG_1470.JPG

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These are fantastic. Alaska is on my to-go list, remaining even as other locations have dropped off. Thanks for sharing them!

Gorgeous pictures. Alaska has always been on must visit list but I am slightly fearful I'd never want to leave.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I think Alaska and Yukon should be on everyone's list! They are just amazing places! And the se Alaska coast is amazing - Haines, Skagway, Juneau, Sitka, Angoon, Hoonah...it's an incredible place rich with culture and nature!

@Jilly yes! First Nations around the Carcross and Teslin areas are inland Tlingit - linked very much to coastal Tlingit peoples (like the Jilkaat Kwaan in the bottom photo), which is probably why you see the resemblance to Haida and Tsimshian neighbours (especially use of formline).

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What an awesome TR (both photos and captions) thank you, @Albertan ski girl! Do you have any non-trade book recommendation on the indigenous people of Alaska in general?

I had a chance to visit the Tlingit museum in Haines several years ago and contrast it with the Ainu museums of Hokkaido, Japan. From my untrained eyes, I saw more similarities than differences. I'm totally fascinated by the indigenous people up north, how they live, hunt, travel, communicate, and how much trade/commerce may have taken place.

Just found this interesting map of arctic linguistic families, Na-Dene family is new to me, and Hokkaido isn't even in the highlighted zones. Way cool!

https://www.arcticcentre.org/EN/communications/arcticregion/Arctic-Indigenous-Peoples/Demography

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi @Rainbow Jenny - there are definitely a lot of similarities between coastal peoples! One of my favourite books that I would highly recommend is Life Lived Like a story: Like stories of three Yukon Elders. It is the life story of three women, both of mixed Tlingit and Southern Tutchone ancestry. It covers their own lives and the lives of their families – both of which cross the Alaska – Yukon border, and are really tied up with Pacific coastal life. The three women also have had amazing lives, and have amazing perspectives on their culture, the north and life in general. It has always been one of my absolutely favourite books.

https://www.amazon.ca/Life-Lived-Like-Story-Stories/dp/0774804130

Another great dad is My name is not easy which is officially for young adults but a really important read about the impact of residential schools on Alaska Native culture.

https://www.amazon.ca/Name-Easy-Deb...489976832&sr=1-1&keywords=My+name+is+not+easy

I also recommend anything by Nora Marks Dauenhauer - she was a 20th century Tlingit anthropologist who did an amazing job collecting stories of her ancestors, Elders histories and making accessible Tlingit culture to a wider audience.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On my Goodreads app list now, thank you so much, @Albertan ski girl! I hope you'll make MM gathering next year and perhaps we can discuss coastal people on chairlifts.

I love when scholars take the time to write and speak and communicate to wider audience about their expert field, however obscure it may seem at first.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I love talking to people about the north, climate change and wonderful northerners! I'm always happy to oblige.

And I totally am hoping to be able to make it to mammoth next year!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly