• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

YouTube Ski Tip Channels

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All,

I've been running through some ski tip videos on YouTube and have found some helpful channels. Can anyone offer opinions on the quality of these and/or share others that have been useful for them? I know there are tons of differing opinions about technique, but I'd love to improve my reference library, so to speak. Here are the channels I like in no particular order:

Stomp It Tutorials
Jens teaches all types of technique, but his bread and butter is freestyle – laid back, approachable vibe

Deb Armstrong
Olympic GS Gold Medalist and kids ski instructor/coach – kind like being in 6th grade again, but clear explanation

Ski School by Elate Media
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert lesson sets – clear communication with a progression plan

Josh Foster
Once you get past the annoying 25sec intro, I like what he has to say – well packaged nuggets of clear information

Ski PT
Cynthia Lazzara, a physical therapist, ski instructor and personal trainer – approachable, well-rounded information

Ursula
How awesome would a private lesson be with Ursula?!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Cynthia was my instructor at the Okemo WAA in 2018. She was a good diagnostician and gave good movement cues during lessons. Okemo is her home mountain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for collecting together the links in one place.

Ski School by Elate Media
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert lesson sets – clear communication with a progression plan

Josh Foster
Once you get past the annoying 25sec intro, I like what he has to say – well packaged nuggets of clear information
I've looked at a few of these videos. Seem useful. But for me personally, I find them more useful as confirmation of what I learn from in-person lessons. As a visual learner, I get a lot out of following right behind an instructor and mimicking what they are doing. One of the great aspects of being an active Ski Diva is that I've been able to meet up with instructors or former instructors for free skiing. Following someone like that on groomers is a great way to practice fundamentals and develop rhythm.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC 100%! I feel like these make a lot more sense when coupled with in person instruction and trying things out on the hill. They’re good reminders or fodder for conversation :smile: Thats’s why I want to fly to Big Sky and let Ursula get a hold of me for a day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC 100%! I feel like these make a lot more sense when coupled with in person instruction and trying things out on the hill. They’re good reminders or fodder for conversation :smile: Thats’s why I want to fly to Big Sky and let Ursula get a hold of me for a day.
Go for it! You'll have a great time at Big Sky!

While I have no doubt that a lesson with Ursula would make a difference in anyone's ability to understand how to start improving their technique, you don't have to wait until you get to Big Sky. I have worked with over a dozen L3 instructors at both my home hill (Massanutten) and destination resorts in the last decade (after age 50). Every lesson I've had in the last decade has made a difference and been part of the ongoing process. My most recent semi-private lesson was with an instructor at Bridger (Ric Blevins, L3, 20+ years experience, 3 hours) who I worked with in 2012 and 2013 as part of trips that included a week at Big Sky. I get more bang for the buck at Bridger's lesson rates. This season I also learned a lot about tactics for bumps and deep powder during a Taos Ski Week group lesson (Stephanie, L3, 30+ years experience). I also did a 1-hr private lesson at Massanutten from the resident Examiner early in the season to work on a specific issue that I started working on a couple seasons ago. The more subtle adjustments take at least 2-3 seasons to ingrain after years of doing what worked fine and having fun on less advanced terrain (groomers, off-piste with less pitch and only good snow) as a confident intermediate and working adult who didn't ski that much.

Had I known 15 years ago what I know now about how to make effective use of my time and money towards improving technique, I would've started looking for lesson opportunities when it was obvious my daughter loved skiing after the first day of ski school (age 4). Becoming a solid advanced skier has made it possible to have more options at big mountains and much easier to avoid crowded slopes.

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also like the channel, Ski School by Elate Media. The instructor in the videos always offers clear and concise explanations.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski diva and @Jilly, can I recommend using a Google Sheet to collect the instructor information? It would be easier to maintain and search outside of this ever growing thread... more of a community sheet where anyone on the forum could pop in and update the information. Access would be easy through a link in a single post from an administrator.

For example, something like this:
Instructor Roll Call

If you like this idea, I can turn ownership of the sheet over to any number of site administrators or moderators. You could use this workflow for any list you're trying to maintain. For example, phone lists for meetups, boot fitters, instructors, ski shops and techs, etc. Also, no worries if you don't want to go in this direction... just a thought :smile:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SqueakySnow Gosh, I followed your link and started blushing. Let's add some more Divas to that list!:grouphug:and I'll also update my info with some minor tweaks. It would be great if it were listed by ski area, or at least searchable that way. I love it!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@ski diva and @Jilly, can I recommend using a Google Sheet to collect the instructor information? It would be easier to maintain and search outside of this ever growing thread... more of a community sheet where anyone on the forum could pop in and update the information. Access would be easy through a link in a single post from an administrator.

For example, something like this:
Instructor Roll Call

If you like this idea, I can turn ownership of the sheet over to any number of site administrators or moderators. You could use this workflow for any list you're trying to maintain. For example, phone lists for meetups, boot fitters, instructors, ski shops and techs, etc. Also, no worries if you don't want to go in this direction... just a thought :smile:

I love this idea! I've never used Google Sheet before, but it sounds like a great tool for this. Yes, please turn ownership over to me. Send me a PM if you want to continue to discuss.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woot! Happy this seems helpful :smile: @snoWYmonkey, glad you didn't mind me using your impressive resume for my test row ;)

It's super simple to sort google sheets by column. Just hover your cursor over the letter box at the top of the column you want to use for your sort, click on the arrow that shows up on the right side of the box, and scroll down to "Sort sheet A –> Z" for alphabetical order according to the content in that column. Scroll down to "Sort sheet Z –> A" to sort backwards. Make sense?

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve been watching Stomp It... specifically the tricks. My instructor and husband are not going to be happy. My instructor because he’s gonna have to be picking my butt up more than normal and my husband because he’s gonna think I’m gonna break something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly