• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your thoughts on luxury ski resorts.

newboots

Angel Diva
She is in the planning stages of a trip to Europe next year! Make your interest known.

Ski Diva needs to do an international trip! I have yet to go on a Ski Diva trip due to kids being at home but next year...empty nester! Here I come!

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
reputed luxury resort this winter: Northstar on Lake Tahoe.
What other resorts do you think fall into this category and do you think they are worth visiting? Is it simply the availability upscale food and lodging or is there something more to it? Your thoughts? Thank you :smile:

Northstar is considered the poshest resort in Tahoe! Some nickname it "Flatstar", but what it lacks in steeps, it makes up for in fast groomers, great trees, helpful staff, and rare closures.

To me, luxury is the ability to pay for convenience:
- Platinum lift passes to access much shorter lift lines. I haven't seen that at any other resort.
- Ritz Carlton with its fancy rooms, spa, and restaurants and direct access to slopes with ski valets.
- On-mountain dining is decent (Asian bowls at Zephyr lodge!) but pricey.
- First tracks program for those powder days, but other mountains have that too.
- Free overnight ski storage.

Apres-ski is a big part of luxury! The Northstar Village is small, but they have a skating rink, several restaurants (including a new Michael Minna establishment), complimentary S'mores, movie theater, and candle making for the kids. They don't have as much shopping as other resorts though ;(

All of this comes at a cost as it's the priciest resort in Tahoe. They even started charging for parking that was once free.

It'd be nice if they had some more dining options. No Asian restaurants. Also, no free sunscreen is a travesty. Whistler offers a concierge to help arrange lessons, restaurant reservations, activities, etc.

j’aime skier

Certified Ski Diva
@SkiBabyMD Thank you for the overview of Northstar! I have several friends who have told me they love the place and I am excited to see first hand. I wanted to visit last year but got snowed-in in Reno and ended up gambling all night (I don’t have a gambling problem... it’s only a problem if I don’t win).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Back in the 70's, Northstar was referred to as "flat star." Then they opened the backside (prob 1,000 acres) with single black diamonds and would leave about half ungroomed. Then they opened Lookout Mtn (maybe another 800+ acres) that has some steep blacks and one intermediate way down. This area accesses a private community with some trophy sized homes.

Northstar does not have the steeps of Squaw but has great tree runs almost all over the mountain. It's a great family mountain and village. I ski there primarily as BF has family house at Northstar. We love it there and there is something for everyone on the mountain. Northstar has a great rec center with swimming pools, jacuzzis, tennis, gym, etc. Also, it is the only resort that stays open when wind shuts down other resorts.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also, no free sunscreen is a travesty.
They used to have free sunscreen in large containers everywhere - in the shops (True North), in the bathrooms, in the Demo/tuning shop..... They were promoting "Super Goop" sunscreen.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BTW, I skied St Moritz last February and it is a pretty darn ritzy area. Shops are uber expensive but skiing is (of course) cheaper than in the US....

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I believe Andorra (Grandvalira) meets almost all of the expectations expressed here. The investment lately is amazing. But it is the Pyrenees, and means flying into Toulouse or Barcelona (or maybe Seu) and driving up. In my opinion, and that of my visitors, it is at once laid back and friendly and high end in terms of catering to skiers.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am curious to hear your thoughts on luxury ski resorts and whether the resorts that are fall into this category live up to their hype? I have been to a couple which I believe fall into the category: Beaver Creek & Deer Valley, both of which I enjoyed and am scheduled for a first-time visit to another reputed luxury resort this winter: Northstar on Lake Tahoe. I think Sun Valley is supposed to fall into this category as well as several European resorts i.e. St Moritz, Courchevel, and Lech.

What other resorts do you think fall into this category and do you think they are worth visiting? Is it simply the availability upscale food and lodging or is there something more to it? Your thoughts? Thank you :smile:
Was thinking about this topic during my recent trip out west. Haven't skied in Europe, but have been to Northstar, Deer Valley, and Sun Valley, as well as quite a few "destination resorts" in the U.S. This last trip included Taos, DV, Alta, Solitude, Brighton, and Steamboat. Of those, DV and Steamboat felt like "luxury ski resorts" while Solitude and Brighton did not. Taos is a mix. For that matter, so is Alta depending on where someone stays and eats.

What I noticed for the skiing aspect was the little things. Are there tissues readily available (restrooms, base of every chairlift)? How helpful are the trail signs? Do "mountain hosts" exist? Are there wagons for carting ski gear, and little kids, for the entire family? Is there a free mountain tour? Are there footrests on most chairlifts?

Ski in/out lodging is essentially optional for any resort. So is the choice for food on the mountain. Can stay at the St. Bernard to ski Taos or Alta Lodge to ski Alta and be pampered with slopeside lodging and gourmet meals. Or can stay for much less money in town and drive up for the day. Same terrain, but quite a different experience. If not paying for hot food at a mountain lodge, then that's not part of the experience and perhaps even a source of aggravation due to the relatively high cost. Deer Valley and Sun Valley are examples where a day tripper who doesn't buy food can have a slightly different impression than someone who likes to buy breakfast at the base, and/or stop for a leisurely lunch at a sit-down restaurant on the mountain.

As for whether it's worth the extra expense to stay at a luxury resort, it's personal preference assuming the vacation budget can accommodate the interest. Personally, my choice of favorite ski resorts is based more on terrain, typical snow conditions, a friendly vibe, and the potential for short lift lines more than luxury features. I like Alta more than Snowbird, Grand Targhee more than Jackson Hole, and Taos or Steamboat more than Squaw/Alpine or Northstar. YMMV

I think Boyne Resorts is in the process of turning Big Sky into a luxury destination resort. It's already the case for those who stay at the Huntley. But the addition of a new base gondola and another independent luxury hotel in the next few years will make a difference.

Jazza

Certified Ski Diva
I just like a resort to feel as though you are not having to slum. I’m not talking about the accommodation as most resorts will accommodation for a range of budgets. I like resorts to have a great, modern lift network, obvious things like toilets at main lifts (which are clean), a great selection of places to eat on the slopes ( not just chips or crappy overpriced pizza).
as I have kids, I’m currently restricted to skiing in the school holidays. We’ve found that if we book via a U.K. operator for February half term holidays, the price is usually a minimum of £1200 pp (even more for places like St Anton). We live staying in chalets - I don’t want to cook on holiday, but in the past few years, we’ve found great self catering accommodation (€1200 for a 2 bed appartment for a family of 4): means you can go out every night and enjoy a variety of cuisines

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly