• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Your opinions please! Blizzard Sheeva 10 v. Elan Ripstick 94w v. others?

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all, new to posting but longtime reader/lurker! I've been demoing and looking to replace some Total Joys. I would love your input on some of the highs and lows of the lineup below to help me make a decision.

Me: 5'2" mid 20s advanced skier who likes a little of everything! I'd say I spend 50/50 split of time on v. off piste with a slight preference for trees and bumps, but I have a ton of fun pushing speed on groomers and going down steeps. I ski in Tahoe and have the Epic pass.

Current skis: 158ish Head Total Joys that are very well loved and have really grown me as a skier. However, I think I've finally found the upper limit to these - they feel chattery and unstable at speed, and are downright anxiety inducing through crud and on powder days. They've also seen me through a few bad falls/injuries so I think there's some love lost there.

What I'm looking for in my next ski: Something that inspires confidence and makes me smile, first and foremost! :smile: More tangibly, I'm looking for a new daily driver that (like me) enjoys a bit of everything and is beefier/bitier than my TJ's. This season I've been lucky to demo four skis, three of which I loved. All on different days but in mostly soft snow conditions. In the order I tried them:

2019 Atomic Bent Chetler 100 164: Loved this ski especially through the soft stuff and jumps. Very playful and fun and felt stable when I really pushed them, but there wasn't anything super hard packed to take them out on this day. Surprisingly good through packed down (but not icy) moguls.

2019 Volkl Kenja 163: Took this out on a crazy deep 3' day and they had decent enough float and felt sturdy at speed. They could handle anything I threw at it, but not with much excitement - I described them as a reliable workhorse at the end of the day. Also felt very heavy compared to the other options.

2019 Blizzard Sheeva 10s: OH EM GEE. So so so playful and fun — I had the silliest, most ridiculous smile on my face riding these. I thought the feather graphic was a little silly and cheesy at first but that's really a great representation of the Sheevas - they make you feel like you're flying. I wanted to hop off of everything. Quick turning, super responsive, incredible float through powder. My biggest concerns was the underfoot 102 width - it was not noticeable most of the day, but hooked edges and almost threw me a couple times on the cattracks when I wasn't paying attention. Also concerned about their performance on hardpack/steeps - the only time I took them on hard stuff was at the end of the day, and they didn't have that grip to the snow I liked (but I may have been tired).

2016 Elan Ripstick 94w 164: I thought these felt similar to the Kenjas when I first got on them. I took them out the day after the Sheeva and was disappointed that they lacked the former's fun factor. But oh did they grow on me. Anything I threw at them they handled calmly and consistently: they were almost as good as the Sheevas in the powder and quick turning through bumps and trees. Nothing to call home about in the crud, but they managed. Where they really shone was the groomers - they are incredibly fun to carve and turn and you can feel the power coming out of the turns. I feel like I could really grow as a skier on these.

I could go on and on, but the questions I have for y'all are:

1) Sheeva v. Ripstick - I can't stop thinking about either of these skis. They are very different but have too much overlap to justify getting both (I mean, if $$, storage space, and all that wasn't a factor). What would you choose and why? They were pricing the Ripsticks at $350 and the Sheevas at $500 (both are demo skis + bindings, though the Ripsticks had notable wear on the topsheets).

2) Any other rec's for me to try? Open to men's skis as well. Not trying to make my decision harder but it's fun to add to the potential demo list.

3) Do you know of any demo days in the Lake Tahoe area coming up?

Thanks so much ahead of time :smile: (Also if anyone's in the market for some 2017 Total Joys...lmk!)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At your size, I'd err on the side of narrower. But, I concur that the Sheevas are a HOOT! Have you skied the Sheeva 9s? They are a tad stiffer than the 10s, but are also tons of fun.

I have NOT skied the Ripsticks. I really need to get out on some for comparison purposes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was also going to ask if you’ve tried the Sheeva 9. They do all of the super playful things you liked in the 10, but I find they also have great edge hold for the northeast where I ski so I’d think it should be fine in that regard in your neck of the woods as well.

Maybe also try the Santa Ana 93 and the Black Crows Camox Birdie.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I have the 2018-2019 Nordica Santa Ana 93 in 161 and it’s amazing in all the conditions and all turn shapes, except maybe ice is not my favorite but you won’t have that problem :smile:

I really really really liked the 2020 Elan ripstick w94 in 163. Other skis I liked with the 2019 Rossi Sky 7 and the 2019 K2 alluvit which now became mindbender for 2020 as they added some metal to it and made it beefier. Both Rossi and K2 skis I thought were playful and fun but offered good things only thru all types of terrain and different turn shapes and speed choices. Another one I’d consider is the dynastar legend w94 - an aggressive ski that holds up and is fun. I’ve been on a similar ski for years now so I’m taking a break and trying some of these different skis and styles.

Good luck choosing and demoing!!! Tell us what you end up with!!!!

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These are the upcoming demo days around Tahoe that I'm aware of:

March 9 & 10 – Subaru Winterfest is at Boreal with free Nordica and LibTech demos. The Winterfest stopped at Sierra this past weekend and I demo'd the Santa Ana 93 and finally committed. I've been wavering back and forth between the SA93 and the Volkl Secret all season and Sunday sealed the deal. I bought the SA93 because I found it awesome in most all conditions. The tight turning radius, rocker profile, and full metal \m/ really combined to give confident edge control, nimble agility, and the right amount of playfulness for my type of skiing. The only place it struggled a bit was on blue ice (I found that at Sugarbush in Vermont, not Sierra), and I feel like that was more due to my inexperienced ice skiing rather than the ski itself. Boreal isn't the most exciting mountain, but the demos are free so there's that :smile: Find limited deets here.

March 10 – Village Ski Loft is having a free demo day at Diamond Peak, find the deets here.

March 30 – Sports Basement is having a $40 demo day at Alpine, find the deets here.

I also like the demo deal at Squaw Valley. It's not cheap, as you would expect, but for $70 you can try as many skis as you can in their demo fleet. If you make a day of it, you can probably try 5 or 6 skis because you can switch them out at the base or at the demo center at the top of the Funitel. You can also apply that $70 toward purchase at Parallel Sports in the village. Find the deets here.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@angelaskis I have the Ripstick 94 as my Eastern Sierra Back Country ski and I'm very happy with it.
I do ride it inbounds for a few laps on the days I'm dropping off the mountain. As you said it handles everything, the only thing I haven't ridden it in would be deep heavy wet sierra cement. The ski has a surprising amount of float and is super fun in powder, can handle icy stastrugi and can really rip on the groomers! Its super light weight but doesn't get tossed around. If this is the ski your looking for I would try to find a fresh pair on sale and skip the demo.... not an expensive ski and can be found on sale.

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, thanks all for the input everyone!! :hail:

@contesstant and @MissySki - Thanks for the rec about the Sheeva 9! I didn't realize they were stiffer - will have to see if I can give them a try.

@echo_NY re: the Santa Anas - I forgot to mention I tried the 2017 SA93's in 163 last year and remember hating them - might have been the wax/tune but they felt super slippery and clunky. There are so many good things said about them I feel like I do owe them another shot. I'd been eyeing the Legends too, so glad to hear a word put in for them — Another one for the demo list!

@SqueakySnow - TY for sharing!!! Such a great roundup. Will have to see if I can make it up to north lake one day this weekend - Boreal might be small but you can't beat free! And sadly I'm out of town for the SB one :( I have one to share with you — Granite Chief does a demo day @ Squaw on April 7th. My friend did this last year and they looked to have a really wide selection. Hope you've been enjoying the storms this year!

@WaterGirl - What length of the ripsticks do you ski? Thoughts on going 164 vs. 170? The 164 felt fine but I haven't really pushed to anything longer.

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"What I'm looking for in my next ski: Something that inspires confidence and makes me smile, first and foremost! :smile: More tangibly, I'm looking for a new daily driver that (like me) enjoys a bit of everything and is beefier/bitier than my TJ's. This season I've been lucky to demo four skis, three of which I loved. All on different days but in mostly soft snow conditions."

You might want to hunt down a pair of Nordica Santa Ana 88. You describe them above, basically. Bonus is the shape of them makes them a blast even in powder, and you are smaller than I am, so they'd be even more fun in it for you. They RIP on groomers and in crud.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am 5’9”/140 and have the Elan Ripstick 94W 170, the Blizzard Sheeva 9 172, and the Nordica Santa Ana 100 177 (pre metal). I have skied the new Nordica Santa Ana 93, the Blizzard Sheeva 10, and the Black Crows Camox Birdie. I value fun factor in a ski more than glued-to-the-snow dampness.

The Sheeva 9 is my daily driver in New England and if I had to choose between it and the Ripstick for here, the Sheeva 9 would win. It is less surfy than the Ripstick but it feels more solid to me on the harder groomers here and the need for more surf herebis rare...sigh. I just went to Big Sky and brought my Sheeva 9 (there wasn’t any snow in the forecast) and it was fabulous in everything. We then got several days of new snow mid trip (so much for forecasts, lol) so I chose to demo the Sheeva 10 for a day. It had the same flavor as the 9 with a bit more float/cut-up power, and a bit less fun factor.

I got interested in the Ripstick because of its versatility to switch to a backcountry ski and because my Santa Ana 100 177 (pre metal) have felt long in tight trees. Got them for Christmas but don’t have very much time on them. With the wider tip it is surfier than the Sheeva 9, super light, turns like a dream and is loads of fun. At the 170 length it is 95mm under foot; while I could definitely ski this in the 177, the 170 fit my purpose. I am hoping to put a hybrid binding on it in the future so it can double-team resort and backcountry.

The new Santa Ana line with the metal has a very different feel than the earlier version; I have skied the Santa Ana 93 and it has a somewhat playful vibe but is a bit damp for me and doesn’t have enough fun factor. I would not want the 177 in this but the 169 still feels short.

If I was in the market for a New England Powder ski I loved the Black Crows Camox Birdie on a Killington powder day (boot top). I felt so confident on it - damper than I usually like but somehow still managed to be surfy and fun. They are lightening it up for 2020 though to make it “more accessible” - not sure how I feel about that!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@angelaskis I have the 163 and have ridden that length in both Alpine and AT bindings in boot top + powder great float and a lot of fun. Again this is my AT set up, I don't really want anything longer if its not going to provide any additional benefits, kick turning a 163 for my height is about my limit, since it floats so well, don't need extra length or weight of a 170. I'm 5'4" and about 130, add a 10 to 15 pound pack when touring. I have not tried it longer. Not sure what you are used to ridding. It is a great 50/50 ski especially if you enjoy carving and appreciate how well it floats in powder. It is a very light weight ski for what it delivers.

Last edited:

elemmac

Angel Diva
@angelaskis - if you’re considering something in the 100-ish range, I’d demo the Santa Ana 100. It has the same stability as the Kenja, but I find it to be more playful, and poppy, while still having an aggressive bite. It’s torsionally stiff enough to get up on edge on hard-pack and carve a nice turn. Yet, get it into bumps and it’s maneuverable and agile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna