• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your hair

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now, everyone on this site presents themselves as true athletes who care a lot about their sport and really go for it. But sometimes, we do have to remember that we are girls/women and should act a little girly sometimes.

So my question is: When you ski, how do you wear your hair?
I've seen girls with their hair just loose under their helmet/hat, in a braid, in a low pony tail and in a low bun. How do you keep it from getting all frizzy under a helmet or hat all day? Do you tuck your hair into your jacket or leave it out?

I usually put mine in a low pony tail or bun under my helmet and leave it kind of under my jacket (I hate when it blows around in the wind).

oneagles'wings

Certified Ski Diva
It would be nice if you could just let your hair flow behind you, but I can't! My hair is past my shoulders and I usually wear a neck gaiter and hat, so I put it in a ponytail or a loose bun on top of my head. If I leave it down it works its way around toward the front of my gaiter. When I leave, I either put another cute hat on or brush it out and put half up. It's not always a pretty sight, lol, but I'm usually so invigorated, I don't care and all I'm gonna do is drive thru starbucks and go home anyways, so it's all good :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do I keep my hair from getting frizzy? I don't! After skiing, my hair is a mess until I shower or at least brush it. I've been growing my hair out; every time I've put a ponytail holder on it to ski, the holder falls off eventually. So now I'm just getting used to eating hair inside my gaiter =P

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's short so I just tuck it in and try to make sure it's not scrunched up under my balaclava. It must be flat underneath or it will be a mess! And if it is snowing there better not be any hair exposed or it will be a frizzy mess. I have hat head when I unveil but at least it isn't sticking up! If I'm going out I put on my all-purpose baseball hat ... see my avatar pic.. that's me apres ski (complete with hat and purple long undies!).

B

B.E.G.

I wear mine loose and just tuck it behind my ears. Normally it doesn't get in my way (I have super straight and pretty long hair). Though it's not so great when it starts snowing and sleeting on you and then it gets soaked and dries weird :smile:

I also have long bangs and the worst is when my hat or helmet flattens it out or makes it fall weird. For that reason, I have a cute hat to wear apres ski so that I can flirt with hot ski instructors without worrying about horrible hat/helmet head :laugh:

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need to get another stylish ball cap. My favorite one finally started to fall apart, and I just can't find one I like!

My hair is short enough to be covered by my helmet; the only thing I make sure to do is to brush it to the side when I put the balaclava and/or hat and helmet on; otherwise the top gets packed down which makes my face look flat!

altagirl

Staff member
Usually braids for me - it keeps my hair from getting knotted up in the wind. Side braids feel the best as I like having my hair off of my neck (and that's where it knots most, even if I throw it in a ponytail.)

Then, when I'm done, I can just take the braids out, throw my hair up in a ponytail and then there's no hat-head. :smile: Or I can throw on a hat. Either way works.

Christy

Angel Diva
I also have long bangs and the worst is when my hat or helmet flattens it out or makes it fall weird. For that reason, I have a cute hat to wear apres ski

Ditto. My hair looks shockingly bad after wearing the helmet. I used to carry my hat in a pocket to wear at lunch, though got tired of the bulk and so have stopped. The hair coupled with the fact I look terrible without my glasses is one reason I don't do apres right from the hill--I go back to the condo or whereever, shower, change, get rid of the contacts THEN go for a drink or dinner. It's too mortifying otherwise. Though at Roxy Camp recently there was no way around it.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually wear mine in a low pony tail and tuck it into the hood of my jacket. In theory it doesn't get wet there... in practice it depends on the weather and if I happen to get bogged down in 5ft of powder! I also usually wear a skull cap under my helmet (unless it's too warm) to stop my hair sneaking out from under the helmet and getting in my face. I have a large collection of hats (I ride a motorcycle and drive a Jeep, so hats come in handy all the time), so I just shove on a hat after skiing and call it good. Definitely not glamorous, but functional.

One of the coolest things I saw was a group of women who had done their hair in 2 braids, one on each side, and tucked each braid under their goggle strap. Fun and functional! I seriously don't have the patience for that though :p

Rosie Facer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
... How do you keep it from getting all frizzy under a helmet or hat all day?...

:ROTF:

Sorry, I have that special sort of hair that only ever looks good for about an hour after I leave the hairdresser; some days I manage to get helmet hair sitting in front of my workstation.

In answer to the thrust of the thread though, I keep my hair short so managing it when skiing is not a big problem.

Seattle Gal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Braids. And I have a cute hat that I put on when I use the restroom before sitting down to lunch or apres.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Used to do a pony tail. One of the reason to go with a short haircut a few years ago (first time since 1970s) was then less to deal with when skiing. :smile:

My daughter has long hair. Puts it back in a pony tail, but doesn't always remember to tuck her hair in her jacket when she doesn't need to put her hood under her helmet.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I'm manually dextrous, I braid it in one braid. Some mornings this isn't meant to be so I put it in a ponytail. For apres, I use a ski headband - I have two wool ones and one tapestry-over-fleece one. If I brush my hair then put on the headband, all is well. The headbands are very retro and fun - think 60s. I wear them a lot during the winter months if my hair is behaving badly. If it's not very cold I'll wear them XC skiing.

Ricester

Certified Ski Diva
I've had my hair somewhere between my chin and shoulders almost all my life, but I got really tired of it being not quite long enough for a ponytail but long enough to just stick out of the bottom of my helmet and itch my neck. So in December I cut it short (sort of pixie-ish) and was surprised that it actually looks cuter on me that way. It's so much easier to deal with, especially since I practically live in helmets for skiing and horseback riding.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just shove it in a low ponytail, it gets ruined under the helmet anyway! I really don't care, I just wash it every day when I get back and tart myself up for the evening. (This is on holiday of course)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Mine is short and has a life on its own. It does become very flat once I take the helmet off.
Ha! Hear ya. After multiple decades of long, I chopped mine, into "messy" layers, figuring it would only be varying degrees of messy? Not sure if it looks any better, post-helmet/balaclava, than long did, but....sure is quicker to dry after washing! Tossed out that silly straightening thing for good > freedom! My hair is sort of curly....why fight it forever?

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear mine loose. For apres/lunch I either have a hat in my pocket or a hair clip to make a pony tail - depends how organized I am on a given morning;)

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Ha! Hear ya. After multiple decades of long, I chopped mine, into "messy" layers, figuring it would only be varying degrees of messy? Not sure if it looks any better, post-helmet/balaclava, than long did, but....sure is quicker to dry after washing! Tossed out that silly straightening thing for good > freedom! My hair is sort of curly....why fight it forever?

MSL, your hair looks great in that haircut!

I have semi-short hair. I get horrible helmet hair. I bought a merino wool buff that I use as a neck gaitor when it's cold. When I take off my helmet, I pull the buff up over my head like a scarf to hide my helmet hair. I have another buff that is a lighter weight synthetic fabric and use that on warmer days...it keeps the sun off my neck but then I can pull it up over my head to hide my hair! It also fits easily in a pocket, unlike a hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly