• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your hair

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, that's interesting - makes sense though! I have great volume on the days I use dry shampoo. How does that work....do you put it on just before you put on the helmet? Just any time that morning? I'm intrigued.
Hi Ice Kitten, I just spray some on my hair in the morning while I'm getting ready. When I take my helmet off at lunch or apres, I just pouf my hair up with my hands or a little comb. Obv, it's not 'good' hair, but it helps!

newboots

Angel Diva
I have to admit. I've never been very athletic, and when I'm engaged in a sport I kind of relish the damp rumpled-ness that goes with it. When I took karate, I just went home afterwards. After hockey, we were all sweating and hair everywhere, and it was great. I felt like a real power skater (far from reality)!

Ditto skiing. If my hair won't stay out of my face apres, I put the skullcap back on and keep trying to corral it in a ponytail again. I keep it in a ponytail while skiing in a futile attempt to keep it out of my mouth. It seems everybody else is a little damp and flyaway, so it's all good.

Of course, I'm 64 and partnered. Not that I don't still like to look my best, but hey, looking like a person who can actually play a sport and live to look damp - that's the best!

mustski

Angel Diva
I do not have long hair, but I do have a problem with hair that forms to the helmet and is REALLY stupid looking at the end of the day. I wear a buff around my neck at all times. It serves 2 purposes - it keeps the sun off my neck (trust me young 'uns, protect that neck skin!) and I can pull it up and use it as a head band when I take the helmet off. It makes my hair look like I meant it to look that messy or - if I spread it wide - like a very controlled head band doo!

newboots

Angel Diva
I do not have long hair, but I do have a problem with hair that forms to the helmet and is REALLY stupid looking at the end of the day. I wear a buff around my neck at all times. It serves 2 purposes - it keeps the sun off my neck (trust me young 'uns, protect that neck skin!) and I can pull it up and use it as a head band when I take the helmet off. It makes my hair look like I meant it to look that messy or - if I spread it wide - like a very controlled head band doo!

When my hair was short, I NEVER wore a hat. Sometimes pulled up my hood in desperation, but never wore a hat. That was pre-skiing and pre-hockey.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
This thread is cracking me up. I come in from skiing for a break or whatever, take off my helmet, eat a snack, unbuckle my boots, decide with BF where to ski after break, and then go into the ladies room, look in the mirror and yikes. My hair is shoulder length and goes every which way. It's wavy/curly in spots but I do keratin twice a year but still hair is atrocious mess). Also I have goggle lines (to go with the crows feet) around my eyes. Not a pretty sight. If I do a ponytail, I lose the ponytail holder so stopped doing that.
It seems that women with good hair in the lodge have not been skiing that day.

Tvan

Angel Diva
My hair is long, thick and slippery. I either braid it, or put it in a low pony tail under my balaclava and helmet to try and keep it out of my eyes. I always end up with break-away strands that somehow escape. After skiing, I rebraid or reponytail and call it good enough until I get home to shower.

Messy hair after a day of skiing is an indicator of a life well-lived in my book.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My hair is long, straight and fine - I usually braid it, in a low braid so it doesnt bother me inside my helmet. When I was younger, I thought it was "cool" to wear me hair down when skiing - truth is it turns into a rats nest and takes me hours to try to comb through!!

But I have bangs, which go every wrong direction when I take my hat/helmet off. I bring a hat for after skiing to hid that mess

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Gah I HATE the you can't go back and edit your posts when you wake up and realize you made an embarrassingly bad typo last night.

Maybe an admin can add in the word "length".
you wrote it right, my eyes and my brain were just not quite connected when i read it!

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Now, everyone on this site presents themselves as true athletes who care a lot about their sport and really go for it. But sometimes, we do have to remember that we are girls/women and should act a little girly sometimes.

So my question is: When you ski, how do you wear your hair?
I've seen girls with their hair just loose under their helmet/hat, in a braid, in a low pony tail and in a low bun. How do you keep it from getting all frizzy under a helmet or hat all day? Do you tuck your hair into your jacket or leave it out?

I usually put mine in a low pony tail or bun under my helmet and leave it kind of under my jacket (I hate when it blows around in the wind).
My hair is a few inches past chin length and very prone to frizz, depending on humidity. It’s just not something I care about on a ski day.

kiki

Angel Diva
Every time i ski I long for short hair!!!

I have lots of bushy hair that is a couple inches below my shoulders (yes, we could call this arm pit length hair lol!!)

The pony tail holder irritates me by creating a bump
I never learned how to braid my own hair)
If its just my helmet it looks ok, kind of pretty to have some wispy hair, but with the baclava there are frizzy escapees and i look like an unkept frazzled mess.

I am good with the sporty sweaty look, but there is a fine line where that pushes into frazzled mess. Sigh. How to walk the line??!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I have short hair and it goes crazy when I ski - it ends up sticking all over the place, and it's flat in weird spots. I always keep a toque nearby :smile:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
My hair is shoulder length, thick, layered, wavy, unruly...hats, hats, hats. I put my hair in a low pony, or low looped pony (I can't really say bun), slap on a hat (usually the Skida Nordic hat which is unlined), and put my helmet on over that. The pony is either in or outside of my shell jacket...where it goes, nobody knows.

When I come in at lunch, I take that hat off for a second, shake the hair out of the pony, and put the hat right back on. It is thin, so I never feel like I need to take it off in the lodge due to overheating. Apres ski, I take off my ski pants, put on my quilted skirt over my leggings, and the hat stays on. I sometimes switch to a brimmed hat of sorts, but with my hair, there is just no going without.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another with thin, straight hair I use 2 hair bands, one to make a low pony tail and then I braid a very tight braid and use another hair band. Usually the braid lasts all day although I have lost the lower band and had a tangled mess at end of day..

JO-ski

Certified Ski Diva
I'm like a lot of you. I don't particularly care what my hair looks like after I take my helmet off at the end of the day. I have thick course hair so it's quite matted down and unshapely after. I wear it in a low ponytail and pull back any loose pieces with a bobby pin. I use these rubber texture hair elastics that don't pull on your hair like actual elastic bands. But because it's rubber, it never slides off. Great for shorter hair!

I also don't wear makeup because my whole face is covered on the hill with gear and I'm sweating and goggles rubbing against makeup will make me look like more of a monster than without makeup. Hehehe.

Another reason why skiing is so freeing!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a buff under my helmet to keep my hair from catching on any of the velcro or adjustment stuff in there (ouch). I let it fly if they aren't blowing snow, but if it is precipitating or the guns are going, I throw it in a low braid and shove it under my gaiter.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I have shoulder-length red curly hair which requires a ton of special taming under the best of conditions. Normally it gets tucked into a low ponytail under my balaclava and helmet, which stretches out the curl and flattens out my roots, but it's better than the full-scale Ronald McDonald frizzfest I'd see if I didn't ponytail it. Thank god for hats!

I was gonna add my own post to this thread... but it looks like I don't have anything additional to say!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna