• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your hair

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have yet to ski with a helmet - that's this coming season's hair issue.

(Nadine_A has a cool head cover doover thing that keeps the hair neat as a pin under her helmet and when she lets it out at lunch she looks like a hair commercial - VERY impressive!)

Me: Not quite so, I have yet to learn the Master's Way:

While I didn't have a helmet:
One high tight pony tail - HAIRY SPRAYED to the MAX so it does NOT fuzz up... and then the "tail" part i BRAID until it DARES to escape!
It all looks pretty tortured and holds good until lunch whereby I have usually turned into a Ranga (ginger - red headed) Freak of Fuzz!
Oh well.....
After the skiing part of the day is done - I stick on my beanie and no one needs know the trouble lurking under there.

Love that hats are totally acceptable indoors in ski towns. The bottom of my hair can look nice, while the top is a matted mess.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have shoulder length hair and just put it into one low pony tail at the back of my neck. Sometimes I then tuck the ponytail into my jacket and other times I let it hang out since it's fairly short. The only part of my hair that can look messed up after taking my helmet off are my bangs. I have short bangs that I wear pushed off to the sides and they can flatten under the helmet if they get too long.

newskier378

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love that hats are totally acceptable indoors in ski towns. The bottom of my hair can look nice, while the top is a matted mess.

:bag: haha I do this even when I'm not in ski towns, on winter days in class and such, especially when it's just as cold in the classroom as it is outside
skiing well I try to do braided pig tales or a low ponytail , but thanks to layered hair it never works and my hair ends up hanging free, while transforming itself into a knotty mess. My hair literally starts to form itself into dreadlocks during a day on the slopes

Mitch09

Certified Ski Diva
My head always sweats like the dickens with any physical activity. When I take my helmet off at break time my hair is plastered to my head. I used to carry an Outdoor Research cap with the folding brim in my pocket.....now I just don't care any more. I pin my bangs back with a barrette and when I pull my helmet off, I just fluff up the rest of my hair with my fingers to try and dry it a bit while eating. I guess as I move through my 40's....I have changed my way of thinking....not so caught up in "what others think" - more important to be comfortable and if I'm doing something physical...of course I'm going to get sweaty! :wink:

Giro_Ski

Certified Ski Diva
I have curly hair that gets tangled, flat, frizzy and blah when I ski, but I have some tricks that help. Straightening it is not an option because my hair curls when it gets wet/snowed on.

I always wear my hair in a low ponytail under my helmet, and I tuck the tail end in my neck gaiter. Wind damage is nooo good, girls!! When I come in from the slopes to grab lunch or take a break, I create a higher ponytail and put an ear warmer band on in order to cover up any short hair strands and cowlicks that stick up around my head. It also hides flattened hair AKA helmet hair. (I keep the ear warmer band in my inside coat pocket. It's strictly for hairstyle, not warmth. I got it for 99cents at a drug store. It's probably super simple to make your own if you can't find one.)

Cheers

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was about to start a new thread asking about how everyone does their hair for skiing and found this.

Here's my problem: I have wavy, armpit length hair with lots of layers. I used to do a low ponytail when skiing but over the past few years I have been growing my hair out and now when I do that it doesn't stay down my back and sort of ends up wrapped around my neck on both sides and looks ridiculous. I have tried putting it in a low pony + braid but with the layers the braid looks like crap after about an hour. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Maybe I just need to have less layers next winter. I was thinking I could also tuck it all under my coat but it doesn't stay in there unless its also under my gaiter and I can't stand the feeling of that.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't say that I am a hair or make-up routine kind of person. My main goal when skiing is to make sure it isn't in my face. It is under my helmet most of the time, and when it isn't, oh well. Like we used to say in kindergarten- you get what you get and you don't get upset. Maybe stick with the low pony, but twist it and double it up before you put the elastic thingy on?

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was about to start a new thread asking about how everyone does their hair for skiing and found this.

Here's my problem: I have wavy, armpit length hair with lots of layers. I used to do a low ponytail when skiing but over the past few years I have been growing my hair out and now when I do that it doesn't stay down my back and sort of ends up wrapped around my neck on both sides and looks ridiculous. I have tried putting it in a low pony + braid but with the layers the braid looks like crap after about an hour. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Maybe I just need to have less layers next winter. I was thinking I could also tuck it all under my coat but it doesn't stay in there unless its also under my gaiter and I can't stand the feeling of that.
I put a buff on my wild crazy fly away hair and it works well. It keeps it off my neck and stops it from wrapping around my face. It is growing a little too long for that but I feel like I've seen a super long buff type thing that would work.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have curly arm-pit length hair. I part my hair and make 2 braids, but a little higher up on each side to be sure to get all the front pieces in there good. Then I tie the 2 braids together in the back with another elastic. I can't say it's super stylish, but it keeps the hair out of my face and mouth under my 'clava and helmet. At the end of the day I'll take out the braids and throw it in a ponytail.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2 braids always. easy.
Head band made from cutting 4 inches from the bottom of my turtle fur lightweight tubes.
I did buy some of the BULA headbands mentioned here, but they are thicker.

Free ride park/ teen? well you need to look like this.....as_ski_CS__130314_nine_queens_2013_0025_1.jpg
its all about having a few strategically placed strands in front or two loose pigtails.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My long mid-back hair goes into a low ponytail like my photo, under my balaclava and coat. I then throw on a cute hat if I can access my bag. If I can't I'll high pony tail and loop/fan it out. I hate flat hair.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
I have shoulder-length red curly hair which requires a ton of special taming under the best of conditions. Normally it gets tucked into a low ponytail under my balaclava and helmet, which stretches out the curl and flattens out my roots, but it's better than the full-scale Ronald McDonald frizzfest I'd see if I didn't ponytail it. Thank god for hats!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Reading this quickly, I read "I have wavy armpit hair with lots of layers" and it almost made me snort my coffee at work!

Gah I HATE the you can't go back and edit your posts when you wake up and realize you made an embarrassingly bad typo last night.

Maybe an admin can add in the word "length".

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
I have wavy layered hair about bra-strap length... very unruly! I wear it in a low ponytail tucked into neck gaiter, and sometimes I use a helmet beanie too if it's cold. Inevitably I lose the darn hair tie by the end of the day, so no chance of that high ponytail at the end of the day unless I remember to put a spare in my pocket. (I will look for the Goody ones someone posted and try those to see if they work any better.)

Last year, I discovered by chance that dry shampoo helped keep my hair from being a total flat-head when I took my helmet off at lunch or apres ski. (I found the Aussie Miracle ones work well and don't have that weird powdery cornstarch look of some other brands). So, I plan to try it again this year - intentionally this time ;-)!

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
Last year, I discovered by chance that dry shampoo helped keep my hair from being a total flat-head when I took my helmet off at lunch or apres ski. (I found the Aussie Miracle ones work well and don't have that weird powdery cornstarch look of some other brands). So, I plan to try it again this year - intentionally this time ;-)!

Oh, that's interesting - makes sense though! I have great volume on the days I use dry shampoo. How does that work....do you put it on just before you put on the helmet? Just any time that morning? I'm intrigued.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have longish hair and just wear it in a low pony tail under my helmet. However I have a fringe* and the helmet makes it stick out in all directions. I just don't know how these women take their helmets off and still manage to look glam.

Good hair and skiing just don't seem to go together!! I just have to not care and hope everyone's too drunk at apres to notice...

* you lot say 'bangs' I believe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna