• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your "Aha!" moment

mintzcole

Certified Ski Diva
Shifting my weight on legs like I'm pedaling a bike. Although, I'm going to have to attempt ski tipping that has been discussed. I have been working on one leg turns and slip pivots after my lessons at Killington but this ski tipping drill sounds like it might help me smooth my turns out even more!

Reactions: AJM

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Came by to drop in a kinda aha moment today. Daughters had a 2 hour lesson, so expert snowboarder friend (normally carves at ~35mph) and I (cautious at ~22 mph) went to home hill, after 2-3 days of rain and warmer temps.

I skied on a day like this in 2021, and then again in 2022. In 2022, I want to say I did 2 runs and called it an evening - it was so hard.

Today, it was a hard go of it. ALLLLL the pass holders were talking about the challenging conditions. Chopped up and mashed potatoes. Huge divots from falls, etc.

Y’all. It was hard, but it was doable and kind of fun (until it got crowded with 20-somethings who were careening down the hill). My last two runs I began getting into my own head, but my skis were also reflecting a need for a rewax, so it was suboptimal.

But, I felt like what clicked today more than it has all season is the absolute importance of ankle flexion. AND, the max speed difference between me and friend was 1 MPH. (She didn’t go faster than 23…LOL)

JayZeeSquared

Certified Ski Diva
I just had an aha moment yesterday while I was out. I've been watching a lot of videos where I kept on hearing to get away from leaning into the hill. I was on a skied out run and kept on slipping. I realized that I was leaning into the hill so shift my position to be more forward over my skis and WOW! I felt so much in control.

I came across this thread: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...emember that if you're,of the snow behind you.

Now I just need to work better on my pole planting to be even more in control.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had so many aha moments from last January until now. I was skiing with a coach last weekend who gave me some great tips for pole planting in a more aggressive style and it definitely works when I need to charge down a steeper part and not shop for real estate. I am feeling pretty good these days. I have a blue to black clinic at Magic this weekend and a PSIA update clinic Monday/Tuesday of next week and I'm actually psyched for them instead of nervous as hell. I obviously still have lots of improving to do but I feel like I'm on the other side of the hump now.... I kinda wanna ski with everyone I've skied with in the past years to redo their memory of my skiing. In a very humble meaning way I feel like now I can finally ski...........

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Several things came together for me in sequence during the same day on vacation last month:

1. That I was sitting on my heels instead of properly dorsiflexing in my boot - you need to use the whole foot, different parts during your turn

2. That "too far forward" was me crouching to get forward while in the backseat (revelation right after to the heel issue above). With my feet more flat and less heel dominant, I was able to get forward without the extreme crouch.

3. Hop turns and/or toppling FTW on steeps especially when it's 3D snow

While the weather wasn't great at Mt Bachelor, the powder turned chewed up crud and poor visibility really felt like it unlocked some problems in my skiing! This is going to sound scary as hell and it was at the time, but in the poor visibility, I accidentally wandered into some black terrain without knowing it and as I was going down, constantly revising what I felt wasn't worked, it just clicked.

Now I'm not advising anyone to over terrain themselves - I think I was just lucky that I had a moment of clarity then. I had actually known all these points before, but they were all separate in my head if that makes sense - I wasn't putting them together. Being in that situation really made me use the "toolbox" to review what I knew about skiing and myself. And I guess I figured out fore-aft trying to get myself down (or at least I think I did, who knows, maybe I still suck).

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Several things came together for me in sequence during the same day on vacation last month:

1. That I was sitting on my heels instead of properly dorsiflexing in my boot - you need to use the whole foot, different parts during your turn

2. That "too far forward" was me crouching to get forward while in the backseat (revelation right after to the heel issue above). With my feet more flat and less heel dominant, I was able to get forward without the extreme crouch.

3. Hop turns and/or toppling FTW on steeps especially when it's 3D snow

While the weather wasn't great at Mt Bachelor, the powder turned chewed up crud and poor visibility really felt like it unlocked some problems in my skiing! This is going to sound scary as hell and it was at the time, but in the poor visibility, I accidentally wandered into some black terrain without knowing it and as I was going down, constantly revising what I felt wasn't worked, it just clicked.

Now I'm not advising anyone to over terrain themselves - I think I was just lucky that I had a moment of clarity then. I had actually known all these points before, but they were all separate in my head if that makes sense - I wasn't putting them together. Being in that situation really made me use the "toolbox" to review what I knew about skiing and myself. And I guess I figured out fore-aft trying to get myself down (or at least I think I did, who knows, maybe I still suck).
This is a description of a true Breakthrough, with a capital B. Congrats!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly