• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

You don't have to drink to ski.

MissySki

Angel Diva
WalMart has fired at least two people for using medical marijuana - one here in Michigan before we passed the recreational use but after we passed the medical use law and one in Arizona that was more recent. WalMart won the Michigan case, although it looks to me like it was for want of a comma in the wording of a part that specifically prohibited business and other entities from taking disciplinary action for legal use, but they lost the Arizona case. And both of those were in regards to medical marijuana, not recreational.

Interesting timing, I just had an article pop up this morning saying Nevada passed a law that starting next year employers will not be able to refuse to hire someone due to a failed marijuana screening. They will be the first stare to do this. I’d assume then that you couldn’t fire someone for it there either. We’ll see if other states follow.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The testing is becoming a problem in Colorado. We need a test that indicates if someone is high now, not if they’ve smoked in the last month.

I know RTD (the local transit agency) is having a very hard time hiring because they test, and there was recently a case where a Loveland employee died on the job and his family only got half the workman’s comp payout because of a failed test.

I’m actually pretty surprised we’ve made it this far post-legalization without a test that shows if a person is high in the moment. I know it’s more challenging than just seeing if there’s THC in someone’s system but it really is something that has to be solved. I think Nevada’s law is an ok step in the meantime.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m really surprised they haven’t been able to develop something for on the spot testing as well. I swear I saw something awhile ago about being close to having one out there for traffic stops like a breathalyzer, but it must not have panned out..

mustski

Angel Diva
As far as I know, there is nothing thus far that measures the THC content within a certain time frame. It stays in the blood from 2-7 days and urine up to 2 months depending on whether or not regular use is part of the equation. The other side of the problem is deciding what level of THC is "over the limit." With alcohol the BAL is the determiner of that equation. But BAL dissipates at a predictable rate - hourly. THC dissipates over days not hours, so it's more complicated.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We used to do drug testing at work by hair analysis. Whatever they tested for will show up in the hair and since hair grows at a certain rate they can determine the time frame. Obviously doesn’t work at the roadside.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Late chiming into this thread, but I have to say that a huge reason why I am moving out of Maryland and back to Vermont is the focus on outdoor activity - without the requirement to indulge.

Most people I know in Vermont are into the outdoors or the arts and generally engaging with the world, whereas here, being outdoorsy is *not* something that’s taken for granted. Everybody’s recreation (even outdoors activities) seems to revolve around drinking. Seems like no one does anything but drink! I have definitely developed less healthy alcohol consumption habits in the last 10 months.

And honestly - I have nothing against people who indulge in THC, but at this point I’m sick of the smell, especially at the resort. Nothing to shatter the illusion of being in nature than the smell of a burning joint wafting towards you.

On skiing/riding days, I am one to have a 11:30am “hydration break” at the bar, but I only ever have one drink before getting back on the slopes for mellow afternoon runs and calling it a day before 2pm or 3pm. I save any aggressive activity for the morning when completely sober.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly