• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yet another "help me pick a pair of skis"

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
My 2015 BP88s (166) owe me nothing. I LOVE/LOVED those skis but they are starting to feel dead.

me: 50yo 5'2", been skiing the East Coast for 40 years with annual trips out west for the last 15 or so (Mostly CO, but Tahoe & Utah too). Multiple ironman finisher after the age of 40 (I only say this to give you a better idea of my stamina).

My happy place: the trees at Keystone, CO. My home place: mount snow, VT - which has been so abysmal the last few years that I'm skiing less and less. In the absence of trees and bumps I'm a short radius turner down the groomers.

We were in Keystone last week and I demoed the Sheeva 9s because based on what I've read I thought I would love them. I did not. They were fine in the groomers and bumps but I couldn't buy a turn in the trees. I realize this is probably a ME problem but I think I'll just be happier on 88 underfoot. I thought about just getting another pair of BPs but I've read that the have made changes (and are making more changes for next season) so I don't know where they stand. Also, interesting to note, the shop told me that the BPs were a beginner/intermediate ski and I would not be happy with them.

I also demoed the Santa Ana 88 which I also liked but I was unable to get them over to the trees for a demo. They also only had a set of 158 which felt short. Berkshire East is having a demo day on February 18th so I may be able to get my hands on a pair of 165s.

I'm ready to take a leap of faith and just buy a pair. If I hate them I can resell. But I have to do something.
1. hit me with your suggestions -
One suggestion I had was to try the Brahmas because they are essentially the same as the BP but a little stiffer.
2. am I crazy? should I just get the Sheevas and learn to ski better in the trees? I mean I USED to be able to LOL

Thanks!
If you don't like the Sheeva 9's skip the K2 Mindbender 89 Ti. There are two types of Black Pearl 88, the one with SP is very light and for the new skier. The revisions to the traditional BP 88 were good. I skied the newest one last March and felt it similar to the original. Later this month I will be on the Blizzard products for next season and will share my feedback. Did you look at the Head Total Joy? Has some width under foot, lower turning radius, poplar core with carbon but no titanal. Good luck in the hunt.

MtnBikerChk

Diva in Training
If you don't like the Sheeva 9's skip the K2 Mindbender 89 Ti. There are two types of Black Pearl 88, the one with SP is very light and for the new skier. The revisions to the traditional BP 88 were good. I skied the newest one last March and felt it similar to the original. Later this month I will be on the Blizzard products for next season and will share my feedback. Did you look at the Head Total Joy? Has some width under foot, lower turning radius, poplar core with carbon but no titanal. Good luck in the hunt.
Thank you! I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the BP for next season - I hear big changes are coming.

SnowMom

Certified Ski Diva
I also just found out that ski sundown (CT) is having a demo day next Saturday with volkl elan Nordica and others. I'm making my list!!

Thanks!

Just putting in a pitch to try the Nordica Unleashed 90 W (tree) if you have time. Nice all mountain ski -- They are my daily driver in Utah. Energetic but also forgiving. I like them.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demo'd the Brahma 82's in Lake Louise. Lots of packed groomers. Great ski. I was into the trees and moguls with them too. I wanted a pair when I got home. Ended up with the SA 88's and hated them.

@SnowHot - this is the last year for the Brahma??
Yes, the new line is the Anomaly. The guys who tested it were quite pleased when we tested at Brighton a few weeks ago.

There are many ski selectors out there, but our friends at SkiTalk.com have a good one.

Go here.

Thanks

done that before - it's an overwhelming list!!
Both the Santa Ana 93 and 88 are on the list along with the Sheeva 9 and the BP 88

@Verve right?? LOL

One of the things we pride ourselves on is the fact that you can choose any of those reviews to read and if you relate to any specific reviewer, whether its me, @contesstant @MissySki @RachelV @mustski or @elemmac.
You can interact with any one of us to get a better idea.
Because we're all so different from each other, there is a good chance you can find someone you can relate to and find the right skis

MtnBikerChk

Diva in Training
Yes, the new line is the Anomaly. The guys who tested it were quite pleased when we tested at Brighton a few weeks ago.

Thanks

One of the things we pride ourselves on is the fact that you can choose any of those reviews to read and if you relate to any specific reviewer, whether its me, @contesstant @MissySki @RachelV @mustski or @elemmac.
You can interact with any one of us to get a better idea.
Because we're all so different from each other, there is a good chance you can find someone you can relate to and find the right skis
excellent point! I'll do more research! THANKS!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78Diane