• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Year-round at Powder Ridge (CT)

newboots

Angel Diva
Here's the press release! What do we think? Anyone ever done this? (I'm talking to you, our European friends)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Powder Ridge Press

Powder Ridge Resort in Middlefield offers skiing, snowboarding & tubing 365 days a year.

Middlefield, CT. (June 5, 2017) Powder Ridge Mountain Park & Resort is proud to announce the opening of our 365 Synthetic Snow Park. Your favorite winter sports are now available 365 days a year! The 365 Snow park will open August 5, 2017 with 500 ft. run for skiing and boarding plus two tubing lanes.

Sean Hayes, CEO of Powder Ridge explains, “Skiing 365 days a year has been happening all over Europe for many years. It is made possible by a high-tech version of “artificial turf”. 365 Synthetic Snow by Yiippi uses high quality plastic polymer “fingers” that provides a slippery surface, (without water) but still provides the user the ability to carve for turning and stopping”. Hayes continues, “that’s just the beginning by the summer of 2018 the 365 Synthetic Snow Park will go all the way to the top of the Ridge, that is over 2,800 feet”.

“We are proud to partner with Powder Ridge to bring the first synthetic snow park to the Northeast U.S.” says Hans Peter Koehle, Managing Director bei Yiippi GmbH365. “365 Synthetic snow is ideal for race and freestyle teams to train on. The large amount of space between the “fingers” provides more air flow than any other synthetic snow manufacturer. That air keeps the board or ski from overheating even on the fastest racing team”.

Join us August 5th for the Grand Opening of the 365 Synthetic Snow Park. Summer fun will include a pig roast, demonstrations, live music from the band Mix Signals. For more information on pricing and season passes, please visit PowderRidgePark.com. This event is sponsored by Burton Snowboards and Rossignol Skis.

Powder Ridge Mountain Park & Resort is the first full service year-round urban mountain sports park and resort, featuring skiing, snowboarding, tubing, mountain biking and synthetic snow adventures for all ages. The 225-acre facility is centrally located in the heart of Connecticut at the junction of all the major throughways, providing easy access to the over 23 million people within a 90-mile radius. The newly renovated lodge houses the Marketplace for casual dining and large events. On the second floor of the lodge is the Ridgeside Tavern, Fire at The Ridge Restaurant, and 10 hotel rooms. The Mountain has been upgraded with new snow making equipment, snow grooming vehicles, and updated aerial and surface lifts. The training center is the only Terrain Based Learning Facility in CT, which utilizes sculpted snow to give beginners high level skiing sensations without the fear or risks of falling and stopping.

###

marzNC

Angel Diva
Expensive stuff! According to this article from January 2017, the initial investment was $5 million. With potentially more to be added in 2018 for another $2 million. The website for the Swiss mat provider only shows examples for tubing. Be interesting to know the cost comparison to Nevaplast that was installed at Buck Hill, MN last fall.

Certainly worth a look.

". . .
According to the Hartford Courant, a 750 foot long synthetic slope will be installed this year for an estimated $5,000,000. Powder Ridge is seeking tax abatements and state loans for the project. An additional 2,050 feet of slope would be added for $2 million in 2018. If successful, additional trails would be covered.

Powder Ridge plans to use a Swiss company called 365 to create the synthetic slope. 365winterworld.com was registered in February 2016 by Hans Peter Koehle, owner of Yiippi Events & Promotion. . . ."

newboots

Angel Diva
I'd certainly love to give it a try. Why not?

I'm thinking possibly not on August 5. Sounds fun but crowded. I can hear music and drink beer somewhere else; if I go to Powder Ridge it will be to ski. Maybe August x?

Last edited by a moderator:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
August x? If only I thought the family might indulge me on my birthday...

newboots

Angel Diva
August 6? If only I thought the family might indulge me on my birthday...

8/x? Happy almost birthday! It seems like my birthday is related to yours somehow - 7/x

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I'd go! It's certainly within decent driving distance for me! Maybe I can convince my brother, who lives in CT, and recent discovered (and loves) alpine skiing, to go!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Sounds like a summer meet up opportunity waiting to happen...

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW, I wouldn't post anyone's actual birthday on a public thread this day and age... Or the exact age.

Could a moderator obscure them?

Jilly

Staff member
If you wish to wish someone a Happy Birthday, then in the "Diva's only" section. Don't we have one there? Your birthday's are in your member's profile if you added it. I have my birth date, but not the year.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Opening date for 365 Synthetic Snow Park at Powder Ridge has been pushed back to early Sept. So much for summer skiing. Shooting for Sept. 2 to at least get in Labor Day Weekend. Have to come up with $32 for an all day pass. That doesn't make sense to me. Liberty Snowflex starts at 1 hour, but can get an all day pass. Well, 4:00-10:00pm any way.
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 7.33.13 PM.png

newboots

Angel Diva
@marzNC - Thank you! I knew I needed to check before packing up all the equipment and heading down to Southington. Thanks for doing the checking. :-)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wasn't checking but happened to see something elsewhere about the delay. Depending on when I drive back after dropping off my daughter at school near Boston in early Sept, I might stop by to take a look. Had a chance to look at Liberty Snowflex in person this summer so have some basis for comparison in terms of size.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I heard recently that Killington is putting in a synthetic ramp and airbag for jump training; at the bottom of Superstar, I believe.
Boy, skiing on that stuff in hot weather sounds pretty miserable, especially since you evidently need to be fully covered. I'd be curious enough to try it, though!

newboots

Angel Diva
@SallyCat - is THAT what they are doing at the bottom of Superstar? It's all torn up, even some blasting was done, and what looked like it might be a plan for a building was laid out on the ground.

We were joking that it must be another bar - not enough bars at K-town! </sarcasm>

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like Powder Ridge will get the synthetic slope open in early Sept. They finally added pricing options for shorter periods than all day. $18 for four hours is a lot better than $32 for all day if only interested in checking out how skiing feels on this "dry slope."

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 11.00.54 AM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna