• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yay! I posted!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Granted, it was only for 3 paces, but still, I did it! I was practicing posting at a walk and managed to do it for 4 paces. That would, of course, be the 30 seconds my teacher was talking to someone outside the ring, so she didn't see it, but I could tell when it happened because everything got SO much easier. Naturally, as soon as I said "YEAH!" and punched the air, I completely lost what I'd been doing. :loco: I will still take credit for it.

Later, I was trotting on a long line - I'd been giving conflicting signals to the horse, so we decided I should just put the reins down so the horse wouldn't get confused, and then I could put my knuckles on the pommel so I'd get in the habit of keeping my hands low, and then it happened again. One minute it was the teacher going "up-down-up-down-Try not to bounce twice when you come down-up-down-up-down" and me going "I know! I'm trying!" and all of a sudden, it happened again. My legs felt super stretchy and the trot got WAY easier, and I knew I'd managed to post it. That lasted 10 seconds, max, but at least the teacher saw it that time. :smile:

Something that had been bothering me about posting was the weight, and where it was supposed to go. People kept saying not to stand in the stirrups, so it wasn't going there. And I know not to squeeze the horse, so it can't go there either. Now I know. It just sort of weirdly disappears.

Was like the first time I carved a turn! It took a little while before I managed to do it again, but having done it once, I knew what it felt like. Here's hoping the same thing will be true for this posting!

theBuff

Certified Ski Diva
Congratulations on the post. I have been taking lessons recently, as well. I grew up riding horses, but we always just HAD horses. I was never trained to ride them. So, in general, I have a pretty good seat and balance, but when the instructor tried to get me to post, I was totally lost. It felt so weird. Like you, I wasn't sure what to do with my legs - I kept standing in the stirrups and couldn't get how NOT to. Now that I am doing it, it feels much more natural and I "get it."

Keep it up and stay in the saddle!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woot woot! Told ya you'd get it! Wait til your instructor(s) have you do it without stirrups :D That's when you'll REALLY get it. A lot actually comes from the knees, sometimes the calves. There are actually different ways to post depending on what seat you are riding (hunt seat, saddle seat, dressage.) Some you will grip more with the knees, some more with the calf, with a fair amount of saddle seat riders (not equitation riders) posting out of the stirrups.

Keep practicing because it will become second-nature very quickly. So happy for you, Serafina! You stuck with it despite your early crash and are doing well. Nice job!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is hunt seat, and I am hoping to feel like I've "gotten" it soon! It was the weirdest sensation when it happened at a trot (because I think that was a lot of random chance). Like my feet were headed straight down at exactly the time my head was headed straight up, and the horse was floating about somewhere under me.

Am pretty sure, upon reflection, that this is probably what it is supposed to feel like when you're skiing bumps properly...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna