• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wyoming & Montana 2019-20: Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Big Sky, Red Lodge, etc.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We're taking our first ski trip out west to Big Sky in February. We'll be staying in the ShoShone condos with our 11, 9, and 6-year old boys, all of whom are VERY good skiers...the older 2 are better than I am and I'm worried about keeping up with them :smile:. I'd love any and all trail or restaurant recommendations! Thanks :smile:
Here are a few thoughts about how to get your family started at Big Sky based on my three trips to Big Sky in 2012, 2013, and 2019. The first two trips Moonlight Basin was still a separate lift ticket. One reason I spent more time over there last season.

* Take a free mountain tour. A good way to learn how to ski over to Moonlight Basin. Could leave the tour once over at Moonlight if boys are antsy. Even if don’t take a tour, can ask any mountain host for suggestions about where to ski on the first day.

* A good way to get a feel for what green/blue/black means at Big Ski is to start with Ramcharger 8 to Andesite Mtn. Stop at every set of signs to make sure headed to the correct lift since there are three possibilities on different sides of that peak. Andesite Mtn. is good when it's windy on Lone Peak. Feels big enough to be be a separate resort by itself because can ski on three sides.

* Ride Swift Current at least once on the first day. Will make it easier to interpret the trail map.

* On the first blue sky day, consider going up the tram without skis for the view. Wait until the line is reasonably short. A snowstorm brings out the hard chargers. Bring poles (learned that from a mountain host in 2012).

* If need a break from hard skiing but not ready to quit, go over to the back of Andesite and figure out how to get to Spanish Peaks. Fun to try to get one of the bubble chairs on Lewis & Clark. Get to ski over a bridge on the way back to Andesite.

* Consider taking a break in the Shedhorn Grill when over in the Dakota/Shedhorn area. Have someone save seats inside while someone else puts in the order (line is outside).

marzNC

Angel Diva
As for trails, here are some that were good fun for me and friends I guided last season for a few runs. They were intermediates or advanced skiers looking to warm up on their first day or two after flying to Bozeman. By the time they arrived, I'd already been skiing for a week including a couple days at Big Sky. Needless to say, there are a LOT more trails so these are just suggestions for where to start exploring.

There are bump and/or tree runs that aren't that steep or tight. Lizette and Pomp look relatively short on the trail map, but actually are quite long. Niehues did a great job on the expanded Big Sky trail map but it's hard to show so many different peaks. White Magic starts at a little gate into trees to a fun little mini-gulley. I gather instructors take kids in there all the time. Good practice for short turns. Blackfoot is nice because it's easy to bail to either side to a groomer. @lisamamot showed me Single Jack because she knew it from previous trips to Big Sky. It's long and relatively narrow but quite fun.

* Lizette and Pomp are blues on the back of Andesite, relatively mellow pitch, quite long
* Blackfoot trees (black), above Silver Knife, on Andesite
* Congo (blue), on Andesite
* White Magic (blue), front side of Lone Peak
* trees off skier’s right of Silver Knife (black) leading to Thunder Wolf lift, on Andesite
* Tango Trees (black) next to Mr. K, front side of Lone Peak
* Single Jack (black) at Moonlight
* Midnight or Moonlight (black), off Challenger lift

* Have an adult check out Challenger before taking the boys. Not only to check the terrain but also the ride up the ridge and to scope out where to go immediately after unloading. The new quad is better than the old, slow double but it's still a bit of an adventure.

* Liberty is the easiest route down from the top of the tram. It’s a long, long run. A preview of the pitch is to ski the steepest section of the Lone Peak Bowl (go far out on the traverse). If you want to see Liberty from the bottom, can get a good view riding up Shedhorn or Dakota.

* Avoid the Explorer lift, very slow and for beginner terrain only (good views of the base)
* Lone Moose is a slow triple, not too much reason to bother heading there
* Some lifts are “commuter lifts” that are only to get from one area to another or to access slopeside lodging

marzNC

Angel Diva
* Have an adult check out Challenger before taking the boys. Not only to check the terrain but also the ride up the ridge and to scope out where to go immediately after unloading. The new quad is better than the old, slow double but it's still a bit of an adventure.
Oops, Challenger is a triple, not a quad. Has conveyor loading. With the low visibility and wind holds due to snowstorms last Feb, I only rode Challenger once.

Noticed that the Big Sky mountain stats webpage has the lengths and ride times for all the lifts. All three lifts on Andesite Mtn. have 6 min rides. Get in a lot skiing after unloading no matter which way you go.

https://bigskyresort.com/mountain-stats

There is a separate restroom building at the Andesite summit. There is a heated room for warming up if needed. Can also use the restroom in Everett's 8800, the fancy restaurant. Definitely best to make reservations for Everett's at least a day in advance, if not two days. Food is quite good but a splurge.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whitefish's has always been Dec. 6 for the coming season. They decided years ago it was costing too much relative to interest levels to try and open earlier. When we came here the effort was always to be open for Thanksgiving but they'd open, everyone would come for opening, then go back to Christmas shopping. So now it's the first weekend in December.

backpackingmom

Certified Ski Diva
We're taking our first ski trip out west to Big Sky in February. We'll be staying in the ShoShone condos with our 11, 9, and 6-year old boys, all of whom are VERY good skiers...the older 2 are better than I am and I'm worried about keeping up with them :smile:. I'd love any and all trail or restaurant recommendations! Thanks :smile:

You will love Big Sky! Food choices are a bit limited. Our fave restaurant in Big Sky is Olive Bs (pricey) and Horn and Cantle at the Lone Mountain Ranch (have to take out a second mortgage to eat here) ha! We usually just get a cocktail and appetizers here. For quick eats Blue Moon Bakery is great for coffee and bagels and pastries. On the mountain is Everetts which is hit or miss but has amazing views of Lone Peak. The Madison base area over at Moonlight had a cozy tented lodge with standard ski food fare like burgers and fries. Welcome to Montana!

marzNC

Angel Diva
woo hoo! I told the fam last year, after slaving for days over a turkey dinner, I am skiing on Thanksgiving day! Thats what crock pots are for, right?!!!
Sounds like a great plan to me!

You are getting close to enough posts to be able to see the full Divas Only section. That's where the Meet On The Hill (MOTH) threads get posted when a Diva is looking for company on the slopes during specific dates.

backpackingmom

Certified Ski Diva
I will be headed to Big Sky this winter for the week after Christmas and would love to meet up with any Divas that will be there! We skied there last year at Christmas and absolutely loved it. I also signed up for the Elevate ski camp in Jackson in January. Unfortunately I will just miss Diva West. Hopefully there will be good snow out there this winter.

That would be so fun to meetup! I have the Big sky Midweek pass but I think we are blacked out until Jan 2 - Big sky is awesome!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
A comment about another region led me to think about how I do lessons when I ski in Montana. So far that's only been at Big Sky. Starting with the first trip for Diva West in 2012, I've done private lessons at Bridger. Since Bridger is non-profit and geared to locals the lessons prices are far lower than at Big Sky (or Moonlight before it was part of Big Sky). I got a recommendation for a very experienced L3 instructors. Happened to get assigned to Ric Blevins from the list for the first lesson. He's great! It turned out that Ric is the lead instructor for Ridge lessons, even teaches a course at the local university. I gather it's more about avalanche safety and tactics than technique.

Had a fantastic semi-private lesson with Ric together with Albuquerque Bill last Feb. Even though we'd both done a Taos Ski Week earlier in the season, Ric immediately had us working on a fundamental skill that led to more than one Aha! moment. As happened in 2011, Ric showed us a drill that has become a standard to do at some point during any day of skiing.

Doing the Intro to Ridge clinic is on the bucket list.
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 8.57.46 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Editing time ran out for the above post . . .

My first lesson with Ric was a 90-min private. After that I've done 3-hour privates (2012 after Big Sky, 2013, 2019 with Bill).

Last Feb Bill was wearing his transceiver and tested it at the tester at the start of the trail over to the Schlasman's lift that goes up the side of the Ridge. A transceiver is required to ride Schlasman's.

We skied Bridger three days before heading to Big Sky. The powder storm came in after the first day. The second power day was still midweek, but there was a line before the base lift opened. An hour later the reason was obvious. The Ridge opened that morning and the local powder hounds had a ball. They ran out of rental transceivers by 10:00 in the morning for eager travelers. I think the Bridger shop had 25.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Oh boy, I want to get back to Big Sky. For 2019-20 there will be a Headlamp Night Skiing experience. Two hours of skiing off Ramcharger 8 on groomers with a guide, up to 7 people for about $450. That would be so cool! I love walking around on snow in moonlight.

https://bigskyresort.com/mountain-village-lessons-programs-and-racing/headlamp-night-skiing

We started doing this last season and it was very popular. It’s a very unique experience unlike any other night skiing because you are up there with just a headlamp on! And if the moon is out . . . Wowee!!!!! Spectacular. The snow is a shimmering silver and the mountain village below looks warm in its yellow glow. Needless to say we keep the skiing on groomers and at a careful pace. It’s more about the overall experience.
Just bundle up. Big Sky nights are cold!!

Another fun option is do the first tracks/breakfast experience - especially if there has been any fresh snow overnight! You pre-order breakfast at Everett’s and get to ski Andesite Mt prior to opening - I think it’s an hour or 90 min. Can’t remember. Fun to have the mountain all to yourself. Then as the general public starts coming up you duck into Everett’s (not yet open to the public) for breakfast - and you have that all to yourself too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently JH has an arrangement with the Idaho Falls Ski Club for discounted lift tickets. IFSC members can get a voucher for $92 in person at a few local shops. The vouchers are only good for the member.

JH window price seems to be $165-175 once the early season ends around 20Dec2019. Per usual, buying online in advance if you know dates saves a little.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow that looks cool! A little scary to me because the lack of light is my nemesis while night skiing, but this looks too unique and interesting to pass up of I have the chance to try it!
Perhaps a little incentive to practice by doing more night skiing locally? :smile:

Will be on my Wishlist the next time I go back to Big Sky. Want to do another lesson or two at Bridger too.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Perhaps a little incentive to practice by doing more night skiing locally? :smile:

Will be on my Wishlist the next time I go back to Big Sky. Want to do another lesson or two at Bridger too.

Yes! I am hoping to work from the ski condo on the occasional Friday, so would consider doing night skiing then since I wouldn’t have skied all day already like a Saturday.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna