• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wyoming & Montana 2019-20: Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Big Sky, Red Lodge, etc.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Thanks for the feedback. I love the idea for a guide, but can't stomach the nearly $700 it would cost for just a half day!

Once you assess things, if you want to go to the peak but are feeling unsure, it’s a little more economical to book a 3 hour private lesson in the afternoon, and the instructor can take you there and you will also have tram line cutting privileges.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the feedback. I love the idea for a guide, but can't stomach the nearly $700 it would cost for just a half day!
I understand. There’s a level of sticker shock that’s pretty jarring but a half day might be more acceptable. I justify paying because BS has so much terrain and incredible instructors. I’ve skied with some of the best there since 2005, including the incredible @Skisailor, and have never been disappointed. I neglected to tell you about a book that might be helpful for your visit. Dr. Jeff Strickler, a BS local, publishes a book every couple years that covers all the runs and gives background on each. It also gives ideas of how to nav the mountain by skier level, conditions, etc. I’d not thought of this book until I saw one in my suitcase this morning (I always bring mine when I travel to BS). Grab a copy from Amazon, any version will be fine. It’s called The Skier's Guide to the Biggest Skiing in America.

Last edited:

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I ended up in the hot tub instead at the time, which was lovely! :rotf: Will definitely try to get a group together again next time I’m there though, would love to try the experience out.
Good for you! I love a good post ski soak. My DH calls it a “medical necessity”. I’m in BS on a regular annual schedule so next time you’re out, message me!

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I neglected to tell you about a book that might be helpful for your visit. Dr. Jeff Strickler, a BS local, publishes a book every couple years that covers all the runs and gives background on each. It also gives ideas of how to nav the mountain by skier level, conditions, etc. I’d not thought of this book until I saw one in my suitcase this morning (I always bring mine when I travel to BS). Grab a copy from Amazon, any version will be fine. It’s called The Skier's Guide to the Biggest Skiing in America.

Thank you for this recommendation! I just ordered it...hoping it will arrive in time :smile:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
My family and I are headed to Big Sky over Presidents Day week, and would love some trail tips from people familiar with mountain. Specifically, I'd love to know:

What are the easiest blacks? Is there a good trail progression for working up to some of the more challenging trails?

What are the easiest glades/tree trails? Is there a good trail progression for working up to some of the more challenging trails?

Are there any trails to avoid?

My oldest is dying to ski Lone peak, and I want to be sure if we (mostly me) try it, we'll be able to do it.

Thanks!

The easiest blacks: For the most part, if it’s black, it’s ungroomed. In fact some trails are rated black that are actually a blue pitch but they get their black designation because they have trees and/or bumps. There is one black trail that is often groomed - Elkhorn (on the Moonlight side). But there are blues on the Big Sky side that have steeper pitches. This is an artifact of the fact that Big Sky and Moonlight Basin were once separate ski areas with their own unique designations.

So the upshot is that a black is often a black because it is off piste. The easiest black is probably the middle of The Bowl off the Powder Seeker chair. Take the turkey traverse but don’t go very far before diving in. It will be obvious. Go where the majority of skiers go. The Bowl gets steeper and steeper as you go around. A nice feature of the Powder Seeker chair is that there are frequently groomed runs to the looker’s right of the chair: Upper Morningstar, Never Sweat and Ski Time. So the group can split between those who want to ski groomed vs ungroomed and then meet at the chair.

However, if you want steep groomed, many of the blue runs off Swift Current or RamCharger chairs contain black pitches within their rolling terrain. The front side blues off RamCharger are generally steeper than those off Swift Current.

A great warmup run is the 2 1/2 mile long rolling green run called Mr. K. (off Swift Current).

There are no trails to avoid. :smile: But do be aware that Ambush (off RamCharger) and Elk Park Ridge (off Thunderwolf) are popular blues and are some of the only trails with man made snow on them. So they tend to get scrapy by the end of the day. They can be glorious early on though. Hit them in the morning if you want to ski them.

Glades: There are so many wonderful glades at Big Sky it’s hard to know where to start. A fantastic easy intro glade is Lisette on the back side of Andesite Mt. off the Southern Comfort chair. Slightly longer and steeper is Pomp to skier’s left of Lisette.

Other glades to seek out on the Big Sky side include Blue Room, Congo, Ambush Glades, Tango Trees and Soul Hole. But there are many many more. A great easy bump run without trees is Africa.

The wide open Elk Park Meadow off Thunderwolf Chair is a delight depending on snow conditions. It’s an open meadow with a few tree islands. So many possible lines! You can dip your toe in via the Elk Park Ridge groomer and if the snow seems good, go for it.

The Moonlight side is known for its glade skiing. Easiest are Whiskey and White Witch (off Lookout Ridge via the Lone Tree chair). Others off note are Single Jack, Shaftway, Marshall and Big Tree Cutoff. But there are many many more.

Lastly, we can’t talk glades without mentioning the Dakota Territory. This is a vast area of tress of varying density on a generally blue pitch below Liberty Bowl on the south side of the mountain. No trip to Big Sky is complete without visiting this area.

Last edited:

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Skisailor thank you so much for that detailed info! I really appreciate it, and I can't wait to head out there in 1.5 weeks! Now I just need to keep everyone healthy in the meantime...

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more question and then I'll (hopefully) feel prepared: how concerned do we need to be with tree wells? Coming from the east it's just not something we worry about here. I've been talking to the kids about them, and showed them a video or 2 on YouTube to demonstrate the importance of what I was saying (stay together, stay away from the trees, etc.), and now they are terrified! I want to teach them how to be safe, but not scare them so much they don't want to ski there!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
We don’t have many of the kinds of trees that create tree wells. So it’s not a big concern at Big Sky at all. That said, I would let them know you should always have a buddy when skiing in the trees and keep your buddy in sight.

skilady

Diva in Training
Hello!!

Looking to visit Big Sky and Whitefish for the first time towards the end of February.

Can someone tell me what conditions are like at the moment??

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm surprised you are doing both in one trip, they are so far apart.

Here it has been a warm winter. When that happens, the lake doesn't freeze. When the lake doesn't freeze, we have fog. Midweek here the lake was completely unfrozen. In February.

What we also have is plenty of snow. We've had 206" so far and summit depth is 119". And it's only February. We have two full months left and the average snowfall for the whole season is 312" for the years I've been tracking, with an average closing day depth of 113". The pack has been dense and we had extremely early freezing temps which meant the ground was well chilled when the snow started falling so there was little melt for the early storms. On top of that, there has been, as mentioned, little sun. This past week has been a gift with some days having periods of actual blue sky showing.

The snow has varied from impossibly light stuff (like skiing through fog) to heavier stuff, but I don't think we've had any "falling slush".

Historically, the last week of February has been phenomenal, but this is an atypical season. We normally get constant 3" refreshes of consistent dry but dense snow. This has been storm cycle after storm cycle of every kind of snow, usually noticeable dumps. And yet there is a lot of packable (moist) snow that sets up when temps drop.

I'm sure I've been no help about which skis to pack. Bring them all.

skilady

Diva in Training
Thank you for this Whitefish update!!

Forgot to mention we're thinking of Big Sky > Red Mountain > Whitefish, hope that makes more geographic sense!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like at Jackson Hole? I’m really disappointed with Sun Valley and am thinking of ditching my husband and his conference for a few days.

Current conditions at Sun Valley are: hard packed snow, not much else. The snow is really, really tired and beat (no real snow since January), and the terrain is pretty much the opposite of what I like to ride on. I know JH had a ton of snow at the beginning of the year, just wondering what it’s like this week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like at Jackson Hole? I’m really disappointed with Sun Valley and am thinking of ditching my husband and his conference for a few days.
What about Grand Targhee? Slightly closer than JH. About to get fresh snow tonight. If you can meet up with @mountainwest , low visibility won't be as much of an issue. GT is mostly natural snow, so even when it's hardpack the feeling is better than when the base is from snow guns.

The difference between in the slickness of afternoon groomers at DV compared to Alta was noticeable a week ago.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did not ski today but did teach the ten before that through yesterday. It had been cold up until a couple of days ago. I would say it is a mix of cold hardpacked to relatively soft chalky snow to borderline refrozen snow. The off piste is a mix of non frozen north facing large bumps, and some hard to ski, partly tracked and firmed up snow in all south facing aspects. The bowls is getting large bumps that may have melted some today. It is supposed to snow soon, so that report could be vastly different by morning. Hope that helped.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was hardpack today at Grand Targhee, slightly softened by the early afternoon sun enough to be carveable. We might get a few inches of fresh snow tonight along with strong winds. Temps will be colder for the next few days so I think the hardpack will be sticking around for a while, but fog looks unlikely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna