• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wyoming & Montana 2019-20: Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Big Sky, Red Lodge, etc.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Starting a thread for Wyoming and Montana for the upcoming 2019-2020 season! I know many of you will be coming to ski Jackson Hole for Diva West, and Grand Targhee is my home mountain. (This will be my 7th season as a season pass holder at Targhee if anyone has any questions!) I am hoping to ski Red Lodge for the first time this coming season because I get 3 free days there as a season pass perk, and I made a new friend there who knows the mountain very well and is super fun to ski with. Also hoping to make it back to Big Sky again this coming season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just got an email from JH about this season's Golden Ticket. Trying to get folks to go during early season, late Nov to Dec. 20, by offering 50% off on lift tickets to people with a season pass from any other ski area/resort. I think of GT as a possible destination before Christmas because it gets more of the early snowstorms. I guess JH has added enough snowmaking to feel confident people will have a good time in early season if it doesn't snow that much. Also 50% off on demo rentals, which could make a personal demo day worthwhile.

The email is only about early season. The discount also applies during late season starting March 26. Looks like April 12 is Closing Day for JH. Ikon holders must use their days first before it can be used to get the Golden Ticket discount. But I could use a Massanutten season pass (home mountain in VA, about $400) and get the same discount during early/late season as I used to get with the MCP. Hmmm . . .

"For the fifth consecutive year, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (JHMR) is welcoming all skiers and snowboarders with a valid 2019-20 winter resort season pass from ANYWHERE in the world to come visit and receive a very special lift ticket rate. Valid for skiing and riding at JHMR between November 28 – December 20, 2019; simply present a current, valid season pass from any ski resort at the ticket office together with a photo ID and receive a 50% discount on lift tickets based on the current daily window rate. New for this season, also receive 50% off demo rentals with your Golden Ticket purchase. Some restrictions may apply."

https://www.jacksonhole.com/golden-ticket.html
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 7.59.17 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Never noticed this before on the JH website. It's at the bottom of the JH webpage about Ikon.
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 8.06.56 AM.png

Finding a place to boot up during my one and only trip to JH with my ski buddies Bill and Jason in 2014 wasn't easy. That was the first season I had the MCP, the second season on the MCP for JH since it was one of the original four locations. We skied JH on the MCP for 3 days and checked out GT one day. We looked at the Big Red Lockers but they were pretty small. Back then the Bridger Center lockers were only $15. We could leave all three pairs of skis, poles, and helmets for $5/day/person and just take our boots back to the condo. Also got free parking instead of $10/day at the Ranch lot because 3 was the minimum. The shuttle bus from there was quick and frequent. Not sure how that works now.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got an email from JH about this season's Golden Ticket. Trying to get folks to go during early season, late Nov to Dec. 20, by offering 50% off on lift tickets to people with a season pass from any other ski area/resort.
I got that email too and was super disappointed! They have been doing Golden Tickets for the entire month of January for the past several years, and I was counting on using it again this year for Diva West. :cry:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I got that email too and was super disappointed! They have been doing Golden Tickets for the entire month of January for the past several years, and I was counting on using it again this year for Diva West. :cry:
Ah, I didn't remember the time period for the Golden Ticket in previous years. Perhaps you can get the Ikon Friends discount from other Divas. That's an advantage of a gathering.

I wonder how many people made use of it in January 2019 with all the big snowstorms. A few vocal locals were blaming Ikon for long lift lines last season. Never read about the Golden Ticket discount for January. But the pictures of long lines were from February.

Summary for JH snowfall from OpenSnow
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 1.29.20 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Big Sky community is welcoming a new family. Olympians Bode Miller and his wife, Morgan, Have moved to a house in Spanish Peaks with their two young sons. Twin boys are expected in the fall.

Aug 2019, ABC Fox Montana
The mountains called Bode Miller to Montana
". . .
In a post to his website, Miller said, “I just recently moved my family to Big Sky, Montana to reconnect with my roots, recharge my soul, and raise my family in the mountains.”
. . ."

Aug 2019, Bozeman Daily Chronicle
A year after daughter’s death, Morgan, Bode Miller move to Big Sky with focus on family

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're taking our first ski trip out west to Big Sky in February. We'll be staying in the ShoShone condos with our 11, 9, and 6-year old boys, all of whom are VERY good skiers...the older 2 are better than I am and I'm worried about keeping up with them :smile:. I'd love any and all trail or restaurant recommendations! Thanks :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
We're taking our first ski trip out west to Big Sky in February. We'll be staying in the ShoShone condos with our 11, 9, and 6-year old boys, all of whom are VERY good skiers...the older 2 are better than I am and I'm worried about keeping up with them :smile:. I'd love any and all trail or restaurant recommendations! Thanks :smile:
You'll have a blast!

Would help to have examples of trails or terrain your family liked at another destination resort out west. You ski at Cannon, correct?

Is the condo supposed to be ski in/out?

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll have a blast!

Would help to have examples of trails or terrain your family liked at another destination resort out west. You ski at Cannon, correct?

Is the condo supposed to be ski in/out?

We've never been out west before! The older 2 can ski any in-bounds trial they've met in the east (Sugarloaf snowfields, Cannon's DJ's Tramline, etc.) and the 6-year-old can ski any groomed black (in decent condition), including Avalanche @ Cannon and Gondi Line @ Sugarloaf.

The condo is right at the base so we plan to do breakfast and lunch there, and some call it a day early if needed and use the pool if they want.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We've never been out west before! The older 2 can ski any in-bounds trial they've met in the east (Sugarloaf snowfields, Cannon's DJ's Tramline, etc.) and the 6-year-old can ski any groomed black (in decent condition), including Avalanche @ Cannon and Gondi Line @ Sugarloaf.

The condo is right at the base so we plan to do breakfast and lunch there, and some call it a day early if needed and use the pool if they want.
Oh my, you are going to be blown away by the scale of the Big Sky peaks! No picture or video can capture it properly. It's like trying to get a sense of New England fall colors just from a picture. Even a panorama isn't quite enough.

Unless is happens to be really frigid, I have a feeling you'll be hard pressed to get the boys to quit early. How did they do in low visibility, meaning when it's snowing and blowing?

If you are lucky enough to have a chance to free ski with @Skisailor, she'll show you fun terrain no matter what conditions are like.

For me, Big Sky is a 3-day resort. Meaning to even get a basic sense of all of the areas within the resort takes a full three days for an advanced skier. In comparison, Cannon is a 1-day when the tram is open. They split the free mountain tour into North and South after Moonlight Basin terrain was added to Big Sky. Each tour is 2 hours and only on blue groomers. I almost joined a tour with a host I'd chatted with the morning before. Followed him down a groomer on the front side of Andesite after noticing him at the trail map at the top of Ramcharger. I could just barely keep up with him as he sped off. He was a retired NYC finance man who'd been an instructor at Vail at some point. I happened to see a friend when we got to the base so rode up with him instead of staying with the host. What was throwing off most of his group was that it'd been snowing hard all morning so the groomer was more like an ungroomed trail. At least some of the group were from the northeast. :wink:

Did you catch my trip report? Post #18 has notes about restaurants we liked.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...sky-mt-in-late-feb-2019-cold-and-snowy.23685/

Will you rent a car?

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Your whole crew will like Big Sky, it’s pretty perfect but it’s not a foodie resort. Trails are so subjective so I’ll stay off that subject unless you’re looking for specific run info at Big Sky or Moonlight. The location of Shoshone gives you access to some good eats at the base, what we call Mountain Village. If you booked through the resort, the breakfast buffet will be included and be prepared for endless options. Chet’s is also downstairs, I’ve liked them for apres.

You’re within walking distance to Andiamo’s (terrific apres deals and dinner can be good), Yeti Dogs, Peaks in the Summit Hotel (great, pricey and going for steakhouse vibe) and Scissor Bills and The Cabin in Arrowhead mall. In the Mountain Mall you’ll find Whiskey Jacks and Hummers, as well as a solid little grocery/market with daily sandwich and soup specials. The Mountain Mall is currently under a massive rebirth and what was the cafeteria upstairs will be a food hall with sushi, ramen, crepes, pizza, tacos, sandwiches, soups, etc. Since these offerings are new, nobody can vouch for them yet.

Most restaurants are listed online, some include menus. www.bigskyresort.com. Hope this was helpful.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Welcome to Big Sky!

Feel free to pm me before your arrival and maybe we can meet up. I’d be happy to get you oriented - it’s a HUGE place - so that helps. We just have to plan around my lesson schedule.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Meant to add - if your kids are skiing things like Gondi Line at Sugarloaf they’ll love Big Sky. However, one thing to keep in mind is that there are no real groomed blacks. If it’s black, it’s pretty much off piste. That said, a lot of our blues have pitches on them which would be considered black in most resorts. Our blues have a very wide range - from pretty mellow to quite steep - which is another reason why an orientation tour helps.

There are also things that are good to ski in the morning vs. the afternoon etc. etc. The mountain has so many different aspects, which is a real asset. But it also means there are lots of insider secrets about how to approach skiing there.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have a blast!! Big sky is wonderful and Huge! There's Plenty of terrain for everyone! @Skisailor is Awesome and do take her up being a guide!

I highly recommend you take a day and go to Yellowstone!! It's beautiful in winter, no people (it's only open via tour companies) You can take the tours and/or also on snowmobile ride thru the park! here's who we went with! Can't wait to hear your trip report! And it's snowing there now!! Woo Hoo!

Attachments

• yellowstone bus company.jpg
    yellowstone bus company.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 0

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will be headed to Big Sky this winter for the week after Christmas and would love to meet up with any Divas that will be there! We skied there last year at Christmas and absolutely loved it. I also signed up for the Elevate ski camp in Jackson in January. Unfortunately I will just miss Diva West. Hopefully there will be good snow out there this winter.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I will be headed to Big Sky this winter for the week after Christmas and would love to meet up with any Divas that will be there! We skied there last year at Christmas and absolutely loved it. I also signed up for the Elevate ski camp in Jackson in January. Unfortunately I will just miss Diva West. Hopefully there will be good snow out there this winter.

Hope to see you there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965