• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Would you cross this bridge?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That is crazy.... actually I have skied in Zermatt. What a beautiful place... But no on hiking that suspension bridge for 6-7 hours. I'm afraid of heights! About 10 minutes and I would start feeling faint/anxiety.....

mustski

Angel Diva
I don't know if I "could;" I would want to. I have a phobia of "falling" which is quite different than a fear of heights. I can be at a great height and lean over a railing to look at a view , but I panic climbing a ladder. I can walk along a cliff edge if there is a guard rail but can't walk along a one foot rock jetty in the harbor. Chairlifts,without bars, set every nerve on edge and I must look up to avoid looking down. With bars, I thoroughly enjoy looking down and enjoying the view.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don't know if I "could;" I would want to. I have a phobia of "falling" which is quite different than a fear of heights. I can be at a great height and lean over a railing to look at a view , but I panic climbing a ladder. I can walk along a cliff edge if there is a guard rail but can't walk along a one foot rock jetty in the harbor. Chairlifts,without bars, set every nerve on edge and I must look up to avoid looking down. With bars, I thoroughly enjoy looking down and enjoying the view.
I'm more like you....railings on both sides would be better but maybe not for 6-7 hours. Back in the day with no bars I can remember swinging on chairs b/c wind was so strong at Squaw and Heavenly. Also had a terrifying ride at Telluride w/ no bars and chair was stuck for what seemed like a long time.
I love hiking but not when exposed - Tahoe has great hiking and mostly not huge drop offs except on the Flume Trail - a great mtn bike ride. I literally had to get off my bike in one area as was too afraid to ride with a 1300 drop off on one side.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. Last time I was in Reno/Tahoe with my BF, we started riding from Spooner Lake heading to the Flume Trail. I wasn't in great shape and pooped out before I ever reached it. He continued on. He said that had I made up that far, I could've done the Flume Trail, that it was easy. But I get nervous on narrow high unprotected trails, so I wonder if I could really have. Similar to the Angel's Landing hike at Zion and Half Dome at Yosemite. I'd like to think that I can, but there's doubt in my heart.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Interesting. Last time I was in Reno/Tahoe with my BF, we started riding from Spooner Lake heading to the Flume Trail. I wasn't in great shape and pooped out before I ever reached it. He continued on. He said that had I made up that far, I could've done the Flume Trail, that it was easy. But I get nervous on narrow high unprotected trails, so I wonder if I could really have. Similar to the Angel's Landing hike at Zion and Half Dome at Yosemite. I'd like to think that I can, but there's doubt in my heart.
Once you get past the brutal climb in quicksand, the Flume trail is a basic intermediate single track (sort of) but the steep drop off was too scary to look at. Yes, you could have easily done it as considered intermediate. It's just that I was so scared with the drop off I chose to walk that one section.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would likely opt for walking that section too.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Also the downhill was a blast. You could easily do that ride - just the first climb from Spooner Lake is hard.

Jenny

Angel Diva
It's only 1/3rd of a mile long. And less than a football field high. But I don't know that I could do it. There's an awful lot of open nothingness around it.

DH says he's all in.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's only 1/3rd of a mile long. And less than a football field high. But I don't know that I could do it. There's an awful lot of open nothingness around it.

DH says he's all in.
Oh you're right. I thought the suspension bridge was 6-7 hours. That's the entire hike which is doable. Hmm 1/3 mile on that suspension bridge would probably freak me out. The rest of the hike, no problem....

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Absolutely, without a doubt I would do it. I was in Zermatt when I was 11 and it's incredibly beautiful. I'm a fan of anything unusual and risky like that as long as its 100% safe and this seems to be in that category. Who is up for Diva Europe?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I'd do it!! since it's safe I'd go for sure.. yes, I love heights.. @VickiK Angel's landing is the scaryist climb I've ever done!! I sat down a few times (I have a bum ankle that can give out without notice) and at the top my camera battery died!! I am the one at the edge looking down.. but then I did jump out of perfectly good airplanes too (200+times)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Absolutely, without a doubt I would do it. I was in Zermatt when I was 11 and it's incredibly beautiful. I'm a fan of anything unusual and risky like that as long as its 100% safe and this seems to be in that category. Who is up for Diva Europe?
I love skiing in Europe - have skied many times many places in the last 15 years in Europe.... Maybe 8 + times.... I would definitely be interested...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Oops @CarverJill think you meant a summer diva trip to Europe.
How about a winter ski trip? Flights are super cheap right now. Even from the West Coast I found flights on Virgin Atlantic and British Airways non stop from SFO to London between $530-$630 round trip. Anyone want to go?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I would like to think I could cross that bridge - but actually being there and stepping out, I'm not sure...
It definitely looks amazing though!

Christy

Angel Diva
I trust the Swiss. :smile: I don't like exposed places where I could actually fall, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Here's an example of a nope: The Highline Trail at Glacier NP:

800x545-gl-glacier-national-park-highline-trail-hikers.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly