• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Would you cross this bridge?

Christy

Angel Diva
@sibhusky have you been on that? I do wonder if it looks worst than it is; we have some narrow rock blasted trails here but they aren't bad when you are on them.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mean, its basically a sidewalk with railings. Yeah I'd walk across that.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love skiing in Europe - have skied many times many places in the last 15 years in Europe.... Maybe 8 + times.... I would definitely be interested...

Oops @CarverJill think you meant a summer diva trip to Europe.
How about a winter ski trip? Flights are super cheap right now. Even from the West Coast I found flights on Virgin Atlantic and British Airways non stop from SFO to London between $530-$630 round trip. Anyone want to go?

I was half kidding but would totally do it. I'd definitely prefer a winter trip so we can ski but would be up for summer as well!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I trust the Swiss. :smile: I don't like exposed places where I could actually fall, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Here's an example of a nope: The Highline Trail at Glacier NP:

800x545-gl-glacier-national-park-highline-trail-hikers.jpg

@Christy We just did the Highline trail last week during our trip to Glacier - and it's really not that bad at all. This pic looks worse than it is! It was an amazing hike, and I totally recommend it! Most of the trail is pretty wide (6 feet +), and there is very little chance of falling.

Here are some photos:

IMG_7212.JPG
A general view of the most exposed part of the trail

IMG_7407.JPG

the kids and I on the Highline Trail - yup we took the kids on this almost 12 mile hike! and it was awesome :smile:

IMG_7239.JPG

this should give you an idea of how wide the trail is - I'm sitting on the trail (taking a break) - and my legs are stretched out, and there is still about 2-3 feet of the trail left!

Last edited:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
So if I stumbled, I wouldn't plunge to certain death? That's my litmus test.

There are a couple of narrow points where you want to watch your step but if you fell, you would most likely just eat dust on the trail. You would really have to go out of your way and try hard to plunge to certain death. The part above with minimal exposure is only 3/10 of a mile long, on a 12 mile trail.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@sibhusky have you been on that? I do wonder if it looks worst than it is; we have some narrow rock blasted trails here but they aren't bad when you are on them.
I did the Highline, I THOUGHT. Don't remember that section. I'll have to look at that album, it's been a decade. The thing about killed me, was crippled for days.

Well, looky here, guess I was!
FB_IMG_1502569406356.jpg

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm game for heights and adventure, so the suspension bridge looks like fun to me. :wink:

We are planning on visiting Glacier and Yellowstone in mid 2018. Looks like I should add the Highline trail to the list of things to do.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a phobia of "falling" which is quite different than a fear of heights.

Same here. I could probably walk the bridge. I would have more difficulty with trails with cliffs.

It's this fear of falling that kicks in with skiing.

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, I would say that I don't think I have an unreasonable fear of cliffs/edges, etc. but I'm not unafraid either. Like when riding the Portal trail, I have always walked the exposed bit as recommended. And it's adrenaline inducing, but not terrifying. I know I can ride that, but a tiny mistake=certain death (1300' cliff) so walking that really exposed section seems reasonable.

A well maintained bridge with railings seems safe enough. Take away railings, or make it look like it could fall apart and it's a big nope!

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I would say that I don't think I have an unreasonable fear of cliffs/edges, etc. but I'm not unafraid either. Like when riding the Portal trail, I have always walked the exposed bit as recommended. And it's adrenaline inducing, but not terrifying. I know I can ride that, but a tiny mistake=certain death (1300' cliff) so walking that really exposed section seems reasonable.

Certain death is definitely something that would make me be extra, over and above cautious!

Rue Roberts

Certified Ski Diva
Yus, it looks so very elegant being so slight yet so long. And it's not high enough to trigger my fear of heights. Would be so fun to ski tour across in winter. : )

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Years ago I refused to cross a dam unless everyone walked on the water side of the dam. I had this ridiculous notion that the dam would break if someone walked on the other side. I was truly terrified. I think it was the concavity of the non-water side that had me freaked.
Screenshot_20170830-104825.png
Screenshot_20170830-104809_1504112117689.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna