• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Would you buy an Epic pass again?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious. For those of you who have Epic passes from Vail Resorts: With everything going on this season (go here for a pretty good rundown), would you buy the Epic pass again for next season? If so, why, and if not, why not?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes sorry...... I have access to a home at Northstar and also have a timeshare across the street from the Heavenly gondola.
It doesn't mean I like the way Vail operates or treats their employees, but it means I save a ton of money on lodging when staying in Tahoe. It's more of a business decision for me. Honestly, I don't care for the crowds or the vibe at Palisades Tahoe and would probably ski Kirkwood (an Epic resort in many ways), Sugar Bowl and Mt Rose if I had places to stay at those resorts.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yes sorry...... I have access to a home at Northstar and also have a timeshare across the street from the Heavenly gondola.
It doesn't mean I like the way Vail operates or treats their employees, but it means I save a ton of money on lodging when staying in Tahoe. It's more of a business decision for me. Honestly, I don't care for the crowds or the vibe at Palisades Tahoe and would probably ski Kirkwood (an Epic resort in many ways), Sugar Bowl and Mt Rose if I had places to stay at those resorts.

No need to say 'sorry.' I'd buy one again, too, because Okemo is less than 10 minutes from my house and that's huge. But as I've done this year, I'd supplement the Epic pass with the IKON Base pass and a mid-week pass at a smaller indy resort.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No need to say 'sorry.' I'd buy one again, too, because Okemo is less than 10 minutes from my house and that's huge. But as I've done this year, I'd supplement the Epic pass with the IKON Base pass and a mid-week pass at a smaller indy resort.
Assuming I get the same place to live that I have had for the last few years, yes I would buy an Epic pass. But for the same reasons as you. It is very close so I can buzz up there. If the day isn’t to my satisfaction for whatever basis I can leave. I do intend to keep another pass. I have been enjoying the Stratton Mountain Masters on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

That said if I didn’t have this situation there is no way I would buy an Epic pass next year! They have been a disappointment overall. And I am so sad for their effect on a resort that I love and the community.

newboots

Angel Diva
I didn't buy one this year - until I did. I have an Ikon base pass, and a discount card for the three state-owned mountains in NY (Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface). The problem is, I need to have someplace close to go that doesn't cost me per-visit. If I have to pay ~$25-30 for the local hill, I will often skip it rather than just ski for 1 1/2 hours. The discount for Belleayre (also pretty close) is good, but again, I've inherited a cheap gene from my Depression-era parents, and I will want to make a day of it or stay home. And I need to get out there. Then Epic dropped their price - I couldn't turn it down. I don't have to pay to go to Hunter, which is a decent size mountain, although intimidating!

I hope to come up with a better plan next year. I'd like to avoid buying that Epic pass.

RoseSki

Certified Ski Diva
All of these reasons make perfect sense to me, and I'm sure I would do the same in those situations. Currently I have an Epic (Tahoe Local) pass along with a Mt. Rose pass. The original plan, b/c I'm so new, was only Mt. Rose this season. Then when omicron made clear that I probably would need a substitute getaway perhaps within driving distance, I bought the Epic essentially for that one trip. I went back and forth between Epic and Ikon at that time, and chose Epic b/c Northstar (and Beaver Creek and Park City) all seemed well-suited to beginners.

Next year I'll have Rose again, and, if a multi-pass, Ikon. In my opinion, Vail will not sort out its issues this season, and I guess we will just wait and see if they can make reasonable adjustments next season. I understand that I'm spoiled for choice (and also without the constraints of permanent resort lodging) in the Tahoe area, though, and I don't fault people for making different decisions.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I doubt it. I just don't have enough Epic terrain close enough to justify the cost. The problems they've been having solidify that decision.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I will answer more accurately after my Beaver Creek trip and IF I get in a Heavenly trip as well.

For me, a 4-day pass is really a 7-day pass bc I get 3 bonus days at my local joint, Wilmot.

However, if things get crazier (hopefully not) in this world, making air travel more undesirable, I'd probably just do Wisconsin overnights or day trips and skip the EPIC.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I will answer more accurately after my Beaver Creek trip and IF I get in a Heavenly trip as well.

For me, a 4-day pass is really a 7-day pass bc I get 3 bonus days at my local joint, Wilmot.

However, if things get crazier (hopefully not) in this world, making air travel more undesirable, I'd probably just do Wisconsin overnights or day trips and skip the EPIC.
Let me know when you'll be at Heavenly. I have a couple of trips planned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly