• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Woo! Divas, I'm getting a horse!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kind of sort of off topic but on topic...

...my next door neighbour here in Scotland is Andy Sankey. He's a Master Saddler. He makes the saddles for Borne Saddles in the USA! He sells saddles all over the world apparently!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kind of sort of off topic but on topic...

...my next door neighbour here in Scotland is Andy Sankey. He's a Master Saddler. He makes the saddles for Borne Saddles in the USA! He sells saddles all over the world apparently!

Oooooooh. Custom saddles!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friend has a dressage horse and I couldn't believe the price of stuff she buys for her horse! But then look what we can spend on ski-ing.

Good luck with the saddle hunting.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I confess...I saw this in the shop and I was TOTALLY drooling over it. OMG. That stitching. I'm a Texan, and most of what I saw at home in Texas was Western saddles, with loads of tooling, and stitching, and fringe, and conchos...holy cow, there were some GORGEOUS saddles. Western riders really know how to glam up their steeds! That dressage saddle in the link is the closest thing I've seen to a really dressy saddle.

Pity I don't have $4,000 laying around on the ground gathering dust... :eyebrows:

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me too, my old mare had the same leg markings (long and short socks on the hind legs) but a slightly narrower blaze. He looks like a kind fellow. I miss having a horse.:Cry:

He's so cute! His coloring/markings reminds me a lot of one of my former horses.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Ditto what Bumblebee said! He has a very kind eye he's a cutie
.....not to be a wet blanket but make sure that you have everything in writing as to your purchase agreement,bill of sale and boarding agreement. Experience is something you gain 5 minutes after you need it!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto what Bumblebee said! He has a very kind eye he's a cutie
.....not to be a wet blanket but make sure that you have everything in writing as to your purchase agreement,bill of sale and boarding agreement. Experience is something you gain 5 minutes after you need it!

Not a wet blanket at all - this is excellent advice! I'm taking all the good advice I can drum up, because what I know now is maybe 10% of what I need to know! The only way to learn is to ask and listen...

The deal is officially going down on Oct 2, because he's been committed to a show on the 1st for a different rider, and to make sure that this is all covered under the stables' liability, we're delaying the execution of the purchase-and-sale, and boarding agreements until then.

The nice thing is that he's going to stay exactly where he is now, the barn owner (person who is selling him to me) loooves him, and she's also my trainer, so she's going to keep working with both of us. And she knows this is my first horse, and is doing a nice job of holding my hand so far. :smile: The other nice thing is that I didn't have to worry about the horse being doped for the sale, since any nasty habits he might have had would continue to be a huge problem for the seller even after the sale under these circumstances. If he's been doped, it's happening every single day with his morning grain, and you can't do that for long without throwing the bloodwork out of whack - and the comprehensive blood panel I *did* get.

Strana1

Certified Ski Diva
Congrats on your new horse! As for the saddle situation, I agree with Bumblebee, you definitely need it to fit without pads. My sport of choice is dressage and if you have the $$, my favorite saddle is a Spirig.
I see that you are in MA, so you might try https://www.pelham-saddlery.com/tack/newusedsaddles.html, they are fabulous to work with and let you tryout the saddles.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly