• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Taos Ski Weeks

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting about the assessment part as we were not evaluated during the Womens Ski Week last season so hard to say where I would have ended up. Seems we were mostly grouped by what we were interested in doing and I guess skill played a factor as we were told there might be changes on the next day.... We had an addition to our group but didn't lose anyone - well until two different ladies got hurt during the week. @marzNC can speak to the group levels we were assigned to better...
Our Ladies group in 2018 was considered the 9/10 group. The local who moved herself up from the L8 group on Monday had opted out of the highest level on Sunday because she'd had a previous experience with 3-4 women who were friends and were . . . not her type. But she found the L8 group wasn't challenging enough. She was one of the weaker skiers but was quite happy with the change. The group dynamic we had was quite good even given the range of advanced abilities, ages, and personalities. I found it interesting observing what the L2 instructor did or didn't know well when she joined the group on Tuesday (I think it was Tuesday).

Knowing where Bill's L10 group skied in 2017 when there was lots of snow everywhere, I'll stick with L9 for another season or two. They were skiing a lot of double-blacks after the first few days. As I remember, one or two dropped back to an easier group after the first day. I had followed Bill's group as they went through some easy trees off the groomer on the way over to Kachina the first morning. Could tell that my tree skiing was stronger than one of the men. He was going pretty slow and then fell.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about the ski off. Not that I care what level they put me in, just something about knowing I'm being watched and judged.... even if it is part of what I am paying for. I sure hope I have a few solid weeks in on my home hill to get back into the groove a bit before I go.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about the ski off. Not that I care what level they put me in, just something about knowing I'm being watched and judged.... even if it is part of what I am paying for. I sure hope I have a few solid weeks in on my home hill to get back into the groove a bit before I go.
One reason I like to arrive by Friday is to be able to ski at TSV on Saturday. Makes it a lot easier to be ready on Sunday morning for a lesson. I also make sure that I arrive in plenty of time so it's possible to do at least one run on the groomer off Lift 1. Since that's being upgraded to a high-speed lift, should be easier to get in two runs before heading up for the ski off.

I would think that knowing people are out of practice or nervous is taken into account during the ski off. They are doing movement analysis based on 3-4 turns on a groomer, which is enough for most of the time for someone with decades of experience. But can always change groups later on.

My least favorite part of the Ski Week was the video analysis. Since you go one at a time, that means your whole group is watching while the video is being made and then later when the group reviews the video on-mountain.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
One reason I like to arrive by Friday is to be able to ski at TSV on Saturday. Makes it a lot easier to be ready on Sunday morning for a lesson. I also make sure that I arrive in plenty of time so it's possible to do at least one run on the groomer off Lift 1. Since that's being upgraded to a high-speed lift, should be easier to get in two runs before heading up for the ski off.

I would think that knowing people are out of practice or nervous is taken into account during the ski off. They are doing movement analysis based on 3-4 turns on a groomer, which is enough for most of the time for someone with decades of experience. But can always change groups later on.

My least favorite part of the Ski Week was the video analysis. Since you go one at a time, that means your whole group is watching while the video is being made and then later when the group reviews the video on-mountain.
Couldn't help but laughing . I remember thinking I started out a run in the backseat but thankfully recovered !

alison wong

Angel Diva
So is anyone doing one in Jan 20-25?
I am. Plus my ski friend, Eunice, 2 of us.

@alison wong found an AirBnB deal but that usually requires being willing to book during the summer because the less expensive properties go fast.
I am in grad school (part time) too! My school posts semester schedules far in advance so I am able to plan my ski trip in advance.
Went to Taos last season during MLK week, stayed in Arroyo Hondo, about 15-20 mins. drive to Taos ski valley. I booked the place in summer from VRBO, paid <$600 for the week stay, splitting the cost with Eunice. It was very affordable.
This year, I decided to stay a bit closer, found an AirBnB right across from Columbine Inn (< 2miles from TSV). Weekly cost < ~$800. The place is big enough to fit for 4 people. Again, I will be sharing w/ Eunice.
One thing I realized was, many AirBnB owners don't update their calendar. For this place, I went ahead and contacted the owner, he updated his property calendar but did not update the cost. I lucked out.

For AirBnB booking, just make sure you check cancellation policy, different owners have different cancellation polices, some are stricter than others... (I don't know much about VRBO cancellation policy)

Are you in DC? The multi-week program at Liberty is quite good from what I hear. Meet on weekends for a month I think

@LKillick:
Agreed with @marzNC

https://www.libertymountainresort.c...multi-day-programs/adult-development-programs

Liberty's snowsports program is posted for next season.

I will be doing the Women's multi week program again this season. Many adult students doing the multi week program because their kids are doing the multi wk. Instead of sitting / waiting around at the lodge, they are doing the adult programs. So it is more like a family affair during weekends at Ski Liberty.
For cost, my understanding is, if your kids are in the program, it might be more cost effective to get the family season pass (instead of Advantage card). But don't quote me on it, you might want to cost it out. Also multi week lesson package has the option of including lift tickets vs exclude.

One lesson I learned from last season was, small hill does build skills and fundamentals, provided one has a good instructor to work with over the course of multiple weeks.
Before last year, I was quite "snobbish" and "ignorant" to think that small hills offer no values in improving my skiing. I can get better only if I ski at bigger mountains. My opinions have changed since last season. 2 of my classmates from Ski Liberty adult multi week dev program, they went out west (to Alta) for the first time after they started skiing few years ago. From what they told me, they visited Devil's Castle, Catherines at Alta. This really puts me into shame coz I started skiing around the same time as they have, and I've skied more places out west. But I don't have the skills to ski Devil's Castle or Catherines, yet they have.... Coz they stick w/ the program year after year and was able to build solid skills.

Another reason I decided to do the women's multi week program at Liberty is, I like my L3 instructor a lot. She is not any worse than ski instructors at Taos. In many ways, she is better than Taos ski instructors, given the limited amount of terrains and often dismal snow conditions, she was still able to make the 6-hour class challenging and fun. This really speaks volume about the quality of her teaching. 6 hours flew by fast. Plus she video taped us "constantly", once for morning session, once for afternoon session. She even brought her own monitor so we could watch the videos and learned to critique on movement analysis.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another reason I decided to do the women's multi week program at Liberty is, I like my L3 instructor a lot. She is not any worse than ski instructors at Taos. In many ways, she is better than Taos ski instructors, given the limited amount of terrains and often dismal snow conditions, she was still able to make the 6-hour class challenging and fun. 6 hours flew by fast. Plus she video taped us "constantly", once for morning session, once for evening session. She even brought her own monitor so we could watch the videos and learned to critique on movement analysis. Her dedication and commitment really speaks volumes......
I've worked with quite a few L3 instructors in the last 8 years, both at Massanutten, medium-size ski areas and at destination ski resorts like Alta. Regardless of what PSIA region they are in, they are fully qualified and have loads of different ways to help an any level skier improve. Agree that the L3 instructors who work at small mountains in the mid-Atlantic are very dedicated. But have found the same to be true of the L3 instructors who I've worked with out west as well. For that matter, L2 instructors who have been teaching for 10+ years in the Mid-Atlantic are very dedicated as well and can provide a lot of good instruction when there is good chemistry.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@CarverJill and others: I started a Meet On The Hill thread for Taos in January 2019.

For new Divas who can't see Divas Only threads yet, there is a minimum number of posts required so don't be shy and join the discussion here or in other threads. Or send me a Private Message (PM) using the Inbox (top right).

alison wong

Angel Diva
I'm a little nervous about the ski off. Not that I care what level they put me in, just something about knowing I'm being watched and judged.... even if it is part of what I am paying for

No need to be nervous. My mentality, not here for the Olympic trials or any competition, just want to have fun, so I embrace the experience! Plus I know I suck anyways......therefore I had no expectations for myself. :thumbsup:

After I got assigned to my group from the ski off at Taos last year, I was facing the group and I needed to turn around. I asked my instructor: "How do I turn around?" My instructor looked very concerned and asked me: "What?! You don't know how to turn around?".
I was just glad he did not say to me: "Are you sure you are in the place?" That I'd be totally mortified....

alison wong

Angel Diva
My impression is that sometimes not every group gets to do video.
Correct, if they think your group level won't benefit from the video taping, they won't do the video for your group.
My ski friend, Eunice was in group for level 6 and her group did not do video tape.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks -- excited about the possibilities at Liberty now. Had previously been planning on taking an occasional lesson, but going to see if I can make one of the multiweek clinics work for us. I did really like my Liberty L3 instructor, and he told me to feel free to call and request him in advance any time :smile: Was another case of booking a group and ending up with a private, as nobody else was well matched skill-wise for group formation.

I'm really not as ski snobby as I make myself sound -- I was happy skiing Liberty/Roundtop/Whitetail last year... I'm pretty easygoing overall...but when I got to visit Squaw/Alpine, it was just such a blast having more territory to explore like I did on the mountains where I grew up skiing. I'm really just happy I have somewhere in driving distance we can get to easily.

Massanutten is about 2.5hrs away, it looks like. Would be an early morning to get there for a Thurs morning lesson, but technically possible, unless my schedule requires me to be in clinic on Thurs next semester. Could maybe squeeze something in before then. I've heard good things, will probably give it a shot :smile:

I feel a bit bad to have derailed the Taos thread -- sorry about that. Still want to attend at some point!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I went ahead and got Ikon Base. For just a Taos Ski Week, wouldn't be worth it since I already got the MCP in March. But with trips planned to Taos, Big Sky, and Alta/Snowbird this season, the combination of MCP and Ikon Base comes out better than paying 50% for additional days. I'll also get in some Ikon bonus days during a couple of driving ski safaris in the northeast in Dec and Mar since I have another reason to be there then. At least, that's how I'm going to think about it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Bet MCP will go away next year. Ikon seems to have cornered that world. Why pay 50% if you don't have to fit the extra days...

marzNC

Angel Diva
TSV changed their pricing for Ski Weeks for 2018-19. Price is $270 every week. For holiday weeks, that's a little less. But for non=holiday weeks, it's $50 more. Still a bargain for 6 consecutive morning lessons given the expertise of the instructors who teach ski weeks.

Also found out that MLK Week is special for military veterans. Usually the military discount is only for active duty, but that week it's good for veterans too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My family and I are actually headed to Taos this year. I was hoping to make a ski week work, but we won't be down quite long enough and we decided to spend our money on a day of childcare for our kids so that my husband and I can actually ski together for the first time in way too long. Its a super good deal, though, and I would love to make it down there to do it at some point! I'm actually really interested in the ski off because I like the idea of someone else assessing my skills.
If you are interested, looks like TSV has added lesson and guide options for 2018-19. At least what I remember for group lessons was a single lesson or a 3-pack.

The 2.5 hour Mountain Guide is $75 and starts at 1:00 for advanced/experts (Level 7-10 of 10). Max 4 per group. That's probably like the Alta All-Mountain Workshop. Essentially get to ski the good stuff with an instructor so can get some tips along the way, but it's not really a standard lesson. At Alta, the groups are created after a ski off. Perhaps TSV will do the same.

Can also get a Mountain Guide at 9:30 or 1:00 for intermediate terrain that would be on "Upper Mountain Green, Blue" trails.

TSV is offering a 3-session program called a Power Weekend for $225. Lessons on Sat morning, Sat afternoon, and Sun morning.

Instead of a 3-pack for group lessons for adults that's called a 4-Pack. It's based on the idea of Buy 3 Get 1 Free for $225 and is transferable as well as good all season. Lessons are 2.5 hours.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
TSV seems to have changed the plan. The Women's Ski Week is back to only one week, which has been the case in the past. At least only Feb. 10 is listed on the new TSV Lesson webpage.
Maybe not enough interest? BTW, heard our class is in one of the videos on the TSV site...... haven't seen it though....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna